Price

Mia

Is it disrespectful to an artist to give him a picture of what you want and ask him to make it under a certain amount? Like ask him to draw it and and size it to a specific price?

14 hours ago, Mia said:

Is it disrespectful to an artist to give him a picture of what you want and ask him to make it under a certain amount? Like ask him to draw it and and size it to a specific price?

I don't think it's disrespectful to tell an artist your budget and/or ask if  you can get a particular design for that amount.

Edited by Dan

10 hours ago, oboogie said:

But you have to remember that you can't ask for a super-detailed/complicated tiny tattooed on a tiny budget because that can't happen for obvious reasons. If your design is simple, you have a spot in mind, and you have a certain budget, say that up front for sure. 😊

See I went into him to have him give a price. He told me between 300$-400$. I was just wondering if it would be rude to go to him and ask him to draw it up and make it 300$. He’s a very good artist and I know he wouldn’t take advantage. I was just unsure of how artists feel about complying to a budget. And if it was rude to ask him to draw up something that would be worth what my budget was and let him do it to we’re it would be worth that much to him. 

@Mia Hey there, yeah, that's called haggling. Don't do it. 🙂

He’s a very good artist and I know he wouldn’t take advantage. I was just unsure of how artists feel about complying to a budget. He said he would be between 300-400, so trust him.

And if it was rude to ask him to draw up something that would be worth what my budget was and let him do it to we’re it would be worth that much to him. I don't follow. ? 

Remember, cheap tattoos are not good and good tattoos are not cheap. MOST artists are not going to draw something up and give it to you in advance. 

First I wasn’t going to haggle him down to an unfair price. I wanted to ask him if he could draw it up at the lower end of the appraisal. 

Second I never said I wanted the tattoo in advanced. I was saying to draw it up. I always give this guy at least half of what the tattoo costs before we even start. 

14 hours ago, Mia said:

See I went into him to have him give a price. He told me between 300$-400$. I was just wondering if it would be rude to go to him and ask him to draw it up and make it 300$. He’s a very good artist and I know he wouldn’t take advantage. I was just unsure of how artists feel about complying to a budget. And if it was rude to ask him to draw up something that would be worth what my budget was and let him do it to we’re it would be worth that much to him. 

Yes. It would be rude. Don't do it, as @Gingerninja said.

Hey @Mia

3 hours ago, Mia said:

First I wasn’t going to haggle him down to an unfair price. I wanted to ask him if he could draw it up at the lower end of the appraisal. 

Second I never said I wanted the tattoo in advanced. I was saying to draw it up. I always give this guy at least half of what the tattoo costs before we even start. 

We may have different ideas on what haggling is but if you told him your budget was 300-400 then you want it for 300, that's haggling to me. Maybe we are simply misunderstanding each other!

I am still not understanding the ask to draw up the tattoo if you DON'T want to see it before hand? Sorry, it's been a long couple of days.  

When you have a conversation again instead of getting a quote from them give them your idea and a budget. “I have a budget of X-Y and want Z tattoo on X part of my body” and start from there unless you are open to the sliding scale of price. They will navigate the conversation realistically knowing what you want and what they can deliver without anyone losing out.

Edited by Oiocha

10 minutes ago, Oiocha said:

When you have a conversation again instead of getting a quote from them give them your idea and a budget. “I have a budget of X-Y and want Z tattoo on X part of my body” and start from there unless you are open to the sliding scale of price. They will navigate the conversation realistically knowing what you want and what they can deliver without anyone losing out.

that's exactly what I said, perfectly acceptable IMO