Hi!

joethelion

Nice being here!

I have zero tattoos, and actually wasn`t thinking of having any, but I have this scripture that I want to be with me, or `on me` to be precise 🙂 all the time. It`s a little oddly shaped so I will post it in the  tattoo advice section and see if anyone can give this first timer any ideas!

Thanks John, I just found that out too 🙂

Anyway, I`ll just go ahead then. This is a letter I received from my wife, whom we lost later on. I feel I need to have this on me for my emotions for her, and also somehow think this will help me move on, and a couple of other spiritual reasons. Long story short, I would like to keep her handwriting exactly as it is if possible. It`s in Russian, and has some Chinese symbols (I found out they are the elements). I feel the Chinese symbols can be smaller and also placed differently (as long as they are still connected with the sentences they correspond to). The writing in Russian doesn`t make exact sense, in that it uses different tenses for some reason, but they do have an order. 

I was thinking my left arm, between my wrist and elbow, upside down in a way that I could read it, but I was told that would be too small and letters tend to deform by time. It could also be on my chest, but don`t know how to deal with the chest hair then, if I need to shave etc. It could also be my neck, but I don`t know if that is too bold an idea.

Thanks a lot in advance for any ideas and sorry for so much undefined stuff, but I didn`t know where to start!

On 3/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, joethelion said:

Thanks John, I just found that out too 🙂

Anyway, I`ll just go ahead then. This is a letter I received from my wife, whom we lost later on. I feel I need to have this on me for my emotions for her, and also somehow think this will help me move on, and a couple of other spiritual reasons. Long story short, I would like to keep her handwriting exactly as it is if possible. It`s in Russian, and has some Chinese symbols (I found out they are the elements). I feel the Chinese symbols can be smaller and also placed differently (as long as they are still connected with the sentences they correspond to). The writing in Russian doesn`t make exact sense, in that it uses different tenses for some reason, but they do have an order. 

I was thinking my left arm, between my wrist and elbow, upside down in a way that I could read it, but I was told that would be too small and letters tend to deform by time. It could also be on my chest, but don`t know how to deal with the chest hair then, if I need to shave etc. It could also be my neck, but I don`t know if that is too bold an idea.

Thanks a lot in advance for any ideas and sorry for so much undefined stuff, but I didn`t know where to start!

on your arm between your wrist and elbow is perfect IMO,the characters could be a good size there to look great,

be sure and find the right artist that does that kind of work,

and you don't want to read it yourself,it would be upside down,you want it so if you drop your arm and show it the person looking at it can read it.

and lastly but most important,be sure of the character's meanings 1000% 

Like Dan said you want it to be correct when your arm hangs at your side. Also just going to reiterate make sure the symbols are correct to what you think they mean. You can find a lot of Chinese symbol tattoos from people online that are not what they think they mean. talk to a reputable artist about size and placement. You don’t want to go too small on text as it will blur and be illegible over time. Sorry to hear about your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely get you wanting it as a tribute, but if it where me, I'd put it out of plain view.  Tattoos of Asian characters having become a running joke as of late because of so many of them being... well, enormous.  Hope they come out well for you no matter what you decide.

Agree 100%. Also, be prepared for almost constant questions about the meaning.

I would have to agree with whoever told you it won't fit properly on your arm. No problem for the Chinese characters but the little Russian words (at least in the proportion you're showing there) won't last forever. 

Consider changing the proportions and/or how it's layed out. 

Also consider an image based tattoo instead. One that reminds you of something you shared or something that reminds you of her.   

Thank you all for so many really very useful ideas!

I will definitely double check the Chinese characters (though I am quite sure they are the elements, like fire, water etc) and ask them to be made smaller. Even like that, though, I understand the Russian script wouldn`t fit on my lower arm. Something else that I haven`t thought before is the questions I would get. Is it considered rude to not give explanations, or say something like "that`s a long story"? This is too personal for me to be sharing with everybody. Which also makes me think -as John suggested- to put it out of plain view. But where would that be? I would love it directly near my heart but don`t know if that would be smart -again for maintenance reasons, as in shaving chest hair🙄

I will definitely double check the Chinese characters (though I am quite sure they are the elements, like fire, water etc) and ask them to be made smaller. Even like that, though, I understand the Russian script wouldn`t fit on my lower arm. Something else that I haven`t thought before is the questions I would get. Is it considered rude to not give explanations, or say something like "that`s a long story"? This is too personal for me to be sharing with everybody. Which also makes me think -as John suggested- to put it out of plain view. But where would that be? I would love it directly near my heart but don`t know if that would be smart -again for maintenance reasons, as in shaving chest hair

Whether you give an explanation or not is up to you. Whether the person asking thinks you’re rude or not is up to them. If you are comfortable not explaining it when people ask then I’d say it’s fine. I just want to warn you that everyone who sees it for the first time is probably going to ask you about it. I personally like the idea of getting some type of image instead of the Chinese characters and the script. I know you know what you think the characters mean but have you verified with someone who speaks and writes in that language? There are more than a few people walking around with Chinese symbols on their body thinking they mean one thing but it’s really another or is completely wrong. Chinese characters are complex and slight variances can alter the meaning. The person tattooing you probably won’t speak or read the language either. It’s going to be 100% on you to make sure it’s done precisely.

2 hours ago, joethelion said:

I will definitely double check the Chinese characters (though I am quite sure they are the elements, like fire, water etc) and ask them to be made smaller. Even like that, though, I understand the Russian script wouldn`t fit on my lower arm. Something else that I haven`t thought before is the questions I would get. Is it considered rude to not give explanations, or say something like "that`s a long story"? This is too personal for me to be sharing with everybody. Which also makes me think -as John suggested- to put it out of plain view. But where would that be? I would love it directly near my heart but don`t know if that would be smart -again for maintenance reasons, as in shaving chest hair🙄

it could be fun to makeup different explanations for different situations as to what the symbols mean when asked about them ! LOL

Edited by Dan

46 minutes ago, Dan said:

it could be fun to makeup different explanations for different situations as to what the symbols mean when asked about them ! LOL

That's exactly the thing that I'd do, making them more ridiculous based on who asked. Since they are something that mean a lot to you, that's probably not the thing to do.

Possibly put them on your thigh. More room to make them a decent size and would be covered the majority of the time.

3 hours ago, JAC1961 said:

That's exactly the thing that I'd do, making them more ridiculous based on who asked. Since they are something that mean a lot to you, that's probably not the thing to do.

Possibly put them on your thigh. More room to make them a decent size and would be covered the majority of the time.

For some reason I want it closer to my heart. I was even thinking of distributing the five lines to several parts, like the wrists, the neck, chest and maybe somewhere on the top ribs, but keeping it covered will be better I think. And being the beginner that I am, I think it will be better to keep it simple in order to avoid doing something weird.

I am kind of stuck with one thing; is it really important to keep its orientation to be possible for other people to see it correctly? Is it something I`ll regret if I have it for my view mainly? For instance I was even thinking to have it reverse -if I decide to have it on my chest- so that I can read it when I look at the mirror. Does it make any sense, or is it plain silly?

21 hours ago, joethelion said:

I would love it directly near my heart but don`t know if that would be smart -again for maintenance reasons, as in shaving chest hair🙄

Other than shaving your chest hair for the appointment, what maintenance do you think you'll have to do? I put cocoa butter on my tattoos a couple times a week, but that's it; any many people don't even do that.

15 hours ago, joethelion said:

I am kind of stuck with one thing; is it really important to keep its orientation to be possible for other people to see it correctly? Is it something I`ll regret if I have it for my view mainly? For instance I was even thinking to have it reverse -if I decide to have it on my chest- so that I can read it when I look at the mirror. Does it make any sense, or is it plain silly?

Don't do that.

2 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Other than shaving your chest hair for the appointment, what maintenance do you think you'll have to do? I put cocoa butter on my tattoos a couple times a week, but that's it; any many people don't even do that.

I thought it should be kept shaved for some reason, but probably pure ignorance😃

Thanks a lot all, I have a much better understanding now.

Now, how to decide where to get the tattoo? Is it allowed to make indications for someone good at scripts here at the forum? I will look for someone around Fort Lauderdale area. What is the best way?