What do you think of this artist?

Kitsune

Hi All,

I'm a newbie by all means when it comes to tattoos and I am currently researching and reading all I can find on the subject. 🙂

I found this artist and I like her style very much, but would love to get more educated opinion on her portfolio (how solid it feels, how the style she works in can stand the test of time - if there's anyway it can be judged - etc. ). I believe this triggers the question about the watercolor style which not sure if it's really a no-no.

https://www.instagram.com/siminamina/

Thanks and I appreciate your input!

Thanks! 

I am not married to the watercolor style, although I do like its effect, but understand its limitations. 

I guess I wanted to get an appreciation of how solid this artist's body of work is. 

I can see watercolor has an influence in her style, but she's not exlusive to it. 

For myself, I'm looking to get an illustrative feel to my tattoo, which can be achieved with or without the watercolor splash or a combination of both. I think I found all these approaches in her work, so trying to ponder this against what's the consensus on a qualitative portfolio / good artist (as much as it can be appreciated from a set of images). 

Most tattoo artists have a style they like to work within. Hers seems to be watercolor. Watercolor is very much a fad right now and will not hold up over time as well as a more traditional tattoo. Think carefully about what you want and find an artist whose portfolio matches. Personally, I’d steer clear of an artist who does so much watercolor. In my opinion, they are not something a good tattoo artist will go around doing. Outlines are what keep older tattoos defined. I’ve talked to my artist a little about them while being tattooed and he said he would never do a watercolor tattoo on anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Kitsune said:

For myself, I'm looking to get an illustrative feel to my tattoo, which can be achieved with or without the watercolor splash or a combination of both. I think I found all these approaches in her work, so trying to ponder this against what's the consensus on a qualitative portfolio / good artist (as much as it can be appreciated from a set of images). 

This. And a combination of styles (hard outline with watercolor shading/background/highlights) might satisfy both courts in the right design. This particular artist looks like she might be able to capture this.