Hello all - new to tattoos - post anxiety/remorse

jlrioslizarraga

Hello all,

It is nice to find a tattoo community online. I been reading around the forums before but I haven't participated yet. I got my first tattoo recently. I like how my tattoo looks. I like the design. The piece takes most of my upper arm. And I got it thinking of continuing the design up to the shoulder to shoulder-blade.  Right after the experience, took like 10 hours, I was super excited and I loved it.

Now, I get this feeling of not being sure of my decision. And my mood swings from liking it and being happy with it, to I am not sure should I have done things different, should I have started with something smaller? It is a very exhausting and consuming feeling. As of now, I am thinking of giving the tattoo a finish look, with the possibility to continue it as I had originally plan, should I feel ready later on.

I was wondering what have your experiences been after getting a good size piece? Any similar feelings of remorse? and need for re-assurance?  I am not sure if I want to post the tattoo here, but I could send it to some of you through a message. I actually really want to share it and hear from other tattooed peeps.  Thank you a bunch! Looking forward to what you have to say.

1 hour ago, jlrioslizarraga said:

Hello all,

It is nice to find a tattoo community online. I been reading around the forums before but I haven't participated yet. I got my first tattoo recently. I like how my tattoo looks. I like the design. The piece takes most of my upper arm. And I got it thinking of continuing the design up to the shoulder to shoulder-blade.  Right after the experience, took like 10 hours, I was super excited and I loved it.

Now, I get this feeling of not being sure of my decision. And my mood swings from liking it and being happy with it, to I am not sure should I have done things different, should I have started with something smaller? It is a very exhausting and consuming feeling. As of now, I am thinking of giving the tattoo a finish look, with the possibility to continue it as I had originally plan, should I feel ready later on.

I was wondering what have your experiences been after getting a good size piece? Any similar feelings of remorse? and need for re-assurance?  I am not sure if I want to post the tattoo here, but I could send it to some of you through a message. I actually really want to share it and hear from other tattooed peeps.  Thank you a bunch! Looking forward to what you have to say.

I have a lot of tattoos, and after I finished my whole sleeve on my right arm, I was like, "WHAT DID I JUST DO?" Now I can't imagine my arm without it. You'll get used to it. It's part of you now.

A lot of people have temporary tattoo remorse, but it wears off. I've never had it so I can't relate, although I do have the occasional "Oh shit, look at all that ink" moments. Not in a bad way, not in a good way, it's just shocking to look in the mirror once in a while.

I’ve had it with every tattoo. 

Currently have it with my newest (5 days ago) 

But I can’t imagine not having my other ones so I know the feeling will pass and it’ll become a part of me. 

It’s quite a quick process for a lifelong result so I think it’s quite a normal feeling. 

I've never experienced it either, though I only have a grand total of 4.  I might occasionally notice and lament small details or imperfect lines, but as a whole, I don't regret any.  There's too many important things in life that really do require regret and loss of sleep... tattoos are just for fun.

15 hours ago, jlrioslizarraga said:

Hello all,

yes ! I call it "tattoo remorse " ! I am heavily tattooed and I still get it after getting a tattoo.totally normal IMO and it will go away as you continue to fall in love with your tattoo.

Thank you everyone for your responses. It was very nice to read and some of you make really wise comments. JAC1961 comment was pretty wise actually. And reading from some of you who are heavily tattoo and have similar feelings was reassuring. 

I am sharing a pic of the tattoo 3 days after the session. It was around a 10 hr session. As it is healing and I am getting used to my reflection it is feeling much better. Actually, I feel much better  now than when I posted this. I think I will be ready to continue up to my shoulder and give it a finish feel soon hopefully. 

3 days.jpg

I absolutely loved my tattoo when I got it but I'm a little insecure fool so it took a lot of stranger's compliments and reassurance from my friends for me to fully love it and accept it. 

As for your tattoo, it looks great! Really hoping you start loving your tattoo, cause from my eyes, you definitely have a reason to.