Introduction/Anxiety

the-nerdiestwitch

Hi everyone! I'm Ren; i'm a 19 year old college student and i'm about to get my first tattoo in a few days. I've wanted one ever since I was 16, I designed the tat myself (space whale) and I love what I've done. I don't really care what other people think so jobs/teachers/whatever don't bother me. But for as the days have been counting down to my appointment, I can't help feeling this gnawing anxiety in my stomach. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm somehow worried that it won't look as good as I've envisioned it? Or that I won't like it in a few years (even tho I love it now)? Maybe I'm just rushing into it? Or maybe I've just got first-tattoo jitters. Whatever it is, any advice/encouragement you guys can give me would be really helpful! (pic attached is a paper draft)

IMG_0347.jpg

You're reference (that's how you should be referring to the drawing) is a nice starting point - but that's going to need to be quite a large tattoo for it to come out nice and endure decades of wear. I hope you're not planning on putting it on a bicep or pectoral or something. 

Lots of tattooists screw up their depictions of "space". Send us a link to your intended artist. 

He seems to be a trad/neo-trad/oriental tattoo artist. Is that the style that you're wanting it in? Typically artists want to continue tattooing in their own style so it's most likely not going to turn out exactly how you wanted it as @oboogie stated. The first tattoo always gives the most anxiety because it's the first step into the tattoo world (imo). If you're still that unsure, you could do the ole "change your phone background into the tattoo or a picture of your body with the tattoo using an app and look at it everyday to see if you want to commit to that." 

jus my 2 cents

My suggestion is to not get something you really, really want as your very first tattoo unless of course you're 100% sure that's the only one you'll ever get.  You might want to pick out something small that you like and get that just to test the waters.  That way you can learn about the experience, artist, after care, etc. and not feel like it's a life or death deal.  There is a definite learning curve and in my experience it takes a couple times to feel comfortable with it... or that's just me.

Welcome too.

8 hours ago, the-nerdiestwitch said:

I know that it's just a reference; I gave that and a few other sketches to my artist, Ken, to play with and turn into a proper tattoo. He looks like a great artist, so it's not the design itself so much that I'm worried about.

We can't make your feel better about what you are going to do. You either want it or not. You may feel some remorse. But you may not. I think I'd wait if I were you. You don't seem sure enough to make this decision. If you are resorting to asking strangers, just wait a while. There's no rush.

Well guys, the day came and went, and honestly its fantastic. The artist did a great job with the design, and it didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would. Overall I think I was just having first time jitters (plus I have major anxiety over even small desisions so...yeah). But now that its done I have no regrets!

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg