first tattoo (unfinished) but feeling regret and depression

iJeax

Hi! So before I begin, the idea behind my tattoo is probably one that would be laughed at because it's "cliche" or something a lot of people get. But I liked the look of it, and that's what matters most. So now that's out of the way, I just wanted to ask a few questions..

Is it normal for a tattoo to look horrible while it's healing? When I got home the first night and took off the wrap it actually looked good, even though it's unfinished and needs lots more work done. But days later now that it's scabbing/peeling, it looks really bad, and the shading on the rose almost looks to be way too much. I've seen a lot of roses and most are not this dark, but maybe I'm just over analyzing it? Give me your honest opinions. The artist does great work, I checked his portfolio before picking him so maybe it's because it isn't fully done? It's still missing a second rose above the triangle as well. 

Also, is it normal to feel anxiety/depression over it? I can't help but constantly looking at my arm and feeling like I made a mistake, even though I knew I wanted this tattoo for months. It just doesn't look like it's going to turn out the way I'd hoped. Again, maybe because it's healing and it's apart of the process? Not blaming the artist at all, I know he does great work. He actually did a tattoo similar to mine that turned out great, I'm just new to all of this and it's a big piece and half of my forearm lol. 

Anyways, I'll post two photos. One being the night I got home, and one being from today so you can see the difference. 

57503404_377475196175819_7035857047388160000_n.jpg

57602656_272644793614384_161113178279772160_n.jpg

EDIT: Added two more photos up close. One from before the peeling and one from right now.

57181941_1262247290611415_5328552000416120832_n.jpg

57935950_737199016676119_6188905323571445760_n.jpg

Edited by iJeax

1. It's way too early to know what the tattoo's gonna look like.  Healing can be ugly, give it at least 3 weeks before really scrutinizing it (pro tip: don't scrutinize it at all).

2. Yes, that's a totally normal feeling.  You just changed your body forever, and the reminder is right there in front of you.  I've felt the same way before.  It'll fade.

3 minutes ago, el twe said:

1. It's way too early to know what the tattoo's gonna look like.  Healing can be ugly, give it at least 3 weeks before really scrutinizing it (pro tip: don't scrutinize it at all).

2. Yes, that's a totally normal feeling.  You just changed your body forever, and the reminder is right there in front of you.  I've felt the same way before.  It'll fade.

Thanks for the reply. How do you think it looks from an outsider point of view? I felt as if the rose had maybe too much shading, but it could end up nice with highlights and once it's all finished. I'm just very particular and a perfectionist. Having that much black is kind of like WOW and I'm not really used to it haha. Was expecting something more subtle. 

6 hours ago, iJeax said:

Thanks for the reply. How do you think it looks from an outsider point of view? I felt as if the rose had maybe too much shading, but it could end up nice with highlights and once it's all finished. I'm just very particular and a perfectionist. Having that much black is kind of like WOW and I'm not really used to it haha. Was expecting something more subtle. 

Re-read the response. You don't know what it's going to look like until it heals. 4-6 weeks. There is no point in worrying until then. There is NOTHING you can do. EVERYONE'S tattoo looks like shit while it's healing and peeling. 

Tattoos are not perfect. There is NO tattoo that you can't find something wrong with if you look hard enough. If you can't get past the perfectionist, I wouldn't get any more tattoos because you'll A) make yourself miserable obsessing over the tattoo or B) completely ruin the tattoo trying to "fix" it.

You have a nice tattoo there, quit ruining it for yourself and just enjoy it.

8 hours ago, SStu said:

4-6 weeks at least. It will lighten up. For that style I think it looks great and well applied. You're doing quite well so far!

I just have to keep reminding myself it's unfinished and it's supposed to look bad before it looks good haha. My brain has a hard time wrapping itself around that, and it's in such a noticeable place that I'm always catching it with my eyes. Definitely something to get used to. 

2 minutes ago, ChoWai said:

Its looking really good! Theres a good balance of lights and darks (good contrast).  

I think you you're just not used to it but once finished you'll start to be able to.

It's actually starting to look nicer now that it's not so scabby and peeling! I was really stressing out there for a moment haha. Definitely because it's my first tattoo.