Allergy?

Madison136

The first tattoo I got was a year and a half ago and everything went fine with it. I decided to get another and two months ago I got a tribute to Odins ravens. I have one bird more on my shoulder and the other is on my chest. The bird on my shoulder is fine, no complaints. The same ink was used for both, got them done at the same time in a clean studio. About a week and a half ago the bird on my chest started itching and I'm developing bumps. There is no redness just itchy bumps within the tattoo. It does sit under my bra strap. Everything on the internet seems to point toward allergy and I wonder why the other bird isnt doing the same. Advice? Thank you!!

20190505_181403.jpg

Allergies are thrown around a lot on the internet, but if you look at the medical research done into this, someone actually being allergic to tattoo ink is pretty rare. Some people post that they are allergic if their new tattoo itches while it heals. @SStu brings up a good point - if you were allergic why would you have a reaction in one place and not in another.

There was a thread not to long ago where someone posted pics that kind of looked like what you have. I forget what the doctor said it was, but you might want to search through the threads to see if you can find it.

I had been using the same lotion on both. I've requested an appointment with a dermatologist but wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and did it go away. I'd hate for the ultimate answer to just be laser it off. 

On May 6, 2019 at 3:21 PM, Madison136 said:

I had been using the same lotion on both. I've requested an appointment with a dermatologist but wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and did it go away. I'd hate for the ultimate answer to just be laser it off. 

If a doctor tells you to laser that off, get a second opinion. Hopefully your dermatologist will be tattoo friendly. My dermatologist loves my tattoos.

The dermatologist was useless, they actually only said "well I dont have tattoos so I don't know what it is"...Justifies their paycheck right?

I've been trying to exfoliate it some, I've been putting a charcoal mud mask on it for five minutes then rinsing, and have not not been putting any other lotion on. That seems to be helping die the bumps down and the itchiness some.

Thanks for the responses!

2 hours ago, scottyg said:

sorry to hear that. my dermatologist asked to see my backpiece entirely haha

My regular doctor saw my sleeves asked me if I would be OK with taking my shirt off to show him my backpiece. I said sure. He and the nurse just stared like deer in the headlights.

2 hours ago, Madison136 said:

The dermatologist was useless, they actually only said "well I dont have tattoos so I don't know what it is"...Justifies their paycheck right?

I've been trying to exfoliate it some, I've been putting a charcoal mud mask on it for five minutes then rinsing, and have not not been putting any other lotion on. That seems to be helping die the bumps down and the itchiness some.

Thanks for the responses!

I'd be tempted to report them to whatever board certifies them. I don't think a doctor needs to have had cancer in order to diagnose and treat it.