How to go past 6 back to back sessions

Amit Levy

Hey everyone! How you doing?

My name is Amit and I am new to this forum.

I am writing in order to hear some crazy stories and maybe get some tips in order to get past six days in a row (every session 10-15 hours) by Roman Abrego in about a year from now. I am supposed to get a full sleeve+one side of the chest done by him.

Longest session I have had to far was 8.5 hours on my upper arm with only 3 breaks of 2-5 minutes and I didn't took anything and felt like I could go for many more hours in a row.

So I am thinking to myself that although it most likely will be a horrible experience, I will be able to go past it, and if I really won't be able to handle the pain, I will be taking some Tramadol or something like that.

So what do you guys think? Any tip or crazy story of your own would be helpful.

14 minutes ago, SStu said:

I wish you luck, and I'd be very interested in a day by day account of how you handle it. 

Haha thanks my man

Most likely I will be making a 5-15 minute video out of it. Mostly cus I know how unusual it is getting 60-90 hours in just six days xD.

2 minutes ago, gtrjunior said:

How complex will this tattoo be?
60-90 hours seems like an awful long time for s sleeve and chest piece.

his style looks amazingly complex.

idk man I'm not into the huge long sessions.... slow and steady over an extended timeframe is my pace, but good luck.

his style looks amazingly complex.

idk man I'm not into the huge long sessions.... slow and steady over an extended timeframe is my pace, but good luck.

I just looked him up on Instagram.

His work is amazing and definitely complex....but I still feel that 60 hours is too much.

I’m currently working on a full sleeve (Japanese style dragon) and I’d guess that 20 hours will be about when it’s done (give or take, of course).

Admittedly, my sleeve will likely be far less complex but still.

1 hour ago, scottyg said:

I guess most people are closer to your way doing it haha. I just prefer having the least time healing and finishing it all in one trip as short as possible. After that one I'll be having a full back piece done tho not sure yet if it will also be done by Roman cus that one is deferent style (wildlife) and less colorful.

Thanks for your wishes, I appreciate it!

41 minutes ago, gtrjunior said:

His work is amazing and definitely complex....but I still feel that 60 hours is too much.

I’m currently working on a full sleeve (Japanese style dragon) and I’d guess that 20 hours will be about when it’s done (give or take, of course).

Admittedly, my sleeve will likely be far less complex but still.

Ya, as you saw, his type of work is detailed and complex AF. 

20 hours for a full Japanese sleeve sounds pretty fast (tho idk how complex that specific one is), my type is very detailed realistic. On my other hand I got a tattoo on half the width from elbow to shoulder (colorful) which alone took 13.5 hours.

Just in order to make it clear how detailed the sleeve+chest gonna be, that's a sketch I have made for it (there will be changes by Roman ofc).

PicsArt_05-07-03.18.32.jpg

Edited by Amit Levy

Ya, as you saw, his type of work is detailed and complex AF. 
20 hours for a full Japanese sleeve sounds pretty fast (tho idk how complex that specific one is), my type is very detailed realistic. On my other hand I got a tattoo on half the width from elbow to shoulder (colorful) which alone took 13.5 hours.
Just in order to make it clear how detailed the sleeve+chest gonna be, that's a sketch I have made for it (there will be changes by Roman ofc).
PicsArt_05-07-03_18_32.thumb.jpg.419930206b7ab7881c41133f27045149.jpg

Wow...yeah, that’s gonna be a LOT of work. Lol

My god... Are you trying to enter the pain olympics?? jk jk. 

I'm about to do 3 back to back days on Tuesday but they will be in 6 hour increments. My greatest motivation to fight through the pain is that i'm paying for full day sessions and so I want the most for what i'm paying. Also, the more I prolong the sessions, the longer i'll have to wait and i'm extremely impatient 😂

I've heard of the ruthless marathon sessions and I can only imagine. Make sure you eat up/hydrate yourself/and try to relax as much as possible 😁. Best of luck and agreed, i'd love to see the day by day progression! 

1 hour ago, cyoonit123 said:

My god... Are you trying to enter the pain olympics?? jk jk. 

I'm about to do 3 back to back days on Tuesday but they will be in 6 hour increments. My greatest motivation to fight through the pain is that i'm paying for full day sessions and so I want the most for what i'm paying. Also, the more I prolong the sessions, the longer i'll have to wait and i'm extremely impatient 😂

I've heard of the ruthless marathon sessions and I can only imagine. Make sure you eat up/hydrate yourself/and try to relax as much as possible 😁. Best of luck and agreed, i'd love to see the day by day progression! 

Haha I like your attitude, I feel the same when paying that much and I want to get it all done in as little time as possible, I'll go through whatever pain needed xD.

Thanks a lot for all your wishes bro, I appreciate it and wish you luck with your 3 back to back sessions your own.

A few things to consider...

You will be one giant open wound. The chances for infection will increase each session. Do every thing you can to boost your immune system before, during and after each session. Are you traveling alone? Having someone to help you on during and after the sessions would be a great idea. You may not heal the same or as well as normal tattoos...think about the trauma to your skin and immune system. 

Last year, I was tattooed five days in a row but they weren't all day sessions , like ~16 hours total and all different tattoos. It was enough. This past week, I did two sessions (one 4 and 1 five hour). I know for me, keeping my immune system healthy and managing the healing process are my top priorities. 

29 minutes ago, Gingerninja said:

A few things to consider...

You will be one giant open wound. The chances for infection will increase each session. Do every thing you can to boost your immune system before, during and after each session. Are you traveling alone? Having someone to help you on during and after the sessions would be a great idea. You may not heal the same or as well as normal tattoos...think about the trauma to your skin and immune system. 

Last year, I was tattooed five days in a row but they weren't all day sessions , like ~16 hours total and all different tattoos. It was enough. This past week, I did two sessions (one 4 and 1 five hour). I know for me, keeping my immune system healthy and managing the healing process are my top priorities. 

Thanks for your kind words and tips and for sharing an experience of your own.

What do you recommend doing in order do boost the immune system other than sleep and eat well?

Yup, traveling on my own all around the world the next 2-3 years. Planning on finishing the PCT (a thru-hike from Mexico to Canada) a few days before my appointments and then fly to Yucaipa where Roman is. I wanna get there 2-3 days before the appointments in order to sleep and eat well and buy clean sheets etc.

I am planning on giving myself 30-45 days for healing (mostly because I wanna be sure the heavy backpack wouldn't make the tattoo fade/infection/uncomfortable) before flying to New Zealand where I will be walking another very long trail.

Your experience sounds not that bad at all tho I am sure most people would suffer of it xD.

I say focus on your overall health. Eat super clean. Take your vitamins. Go get a checkup. Also, make a contingency plan. What if you aren't healed? You really want to put a backpack on your fresh backpiece? I say go find a beach and sit under an umbrella. Why risk messing up a fresh tattoo with a backpack? Think of all the sweat and friction on a fresh tattoo....

2 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

I say focus on your overall health. Eat super clean. Take your vitamins. Go get a checkup. Also, make a contingency plan. What if you aren't healed? You really want to put a backpack on your fresh backpiece? I say go find a beach and sit under an umbrella. Why risk messing up a fresh tattoo with a backpack? Think of all the sweat and friction on a fresh tattoo....

You are totally right, let me clarify myself. What I said above is the plan if everything goes right. According to how I know myself there is no reason for it not to be healed after a month and a half but there is no question that if something goes wrong and it didn't heal well I will be staying around longer before I backpack again. 

As I see it if everything goes right 30-45 days for healing before backpacking (around 25kg backpack) should be more than enough.

Edited by Amit Levy

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...