Vetting an online designer

jdka

Hey,

so I've never gotten a tattoo before, and the culture and process is entirely new to me.  I want to get a somewhat intricate tattoo in Hebrew, and unfortunately finding artists is difficult.  Even if I can find a graphic artist fluent in the language, they're generally not comfortable with designing a tattoo for various reasons.  The best source I can find is https://www.hebrew-tattoos.com/ , but while I can find photos of their work online I can't actually find reviews.  If I'm going to be dropping some real money on getting a design, I'd be a lot more comfortable knowing if they're good.  So I guess I have two basic questions:

1. Is there some specific way to look up their work that I'm just missing?  Can I trust their reputation? And conversely,
  2. Can anybody recommend tattoo designers who know Hebrew?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Don't pay for a design. Find the artist who can make the design. Designing art that works as a tattoo is not the same as making a good design. There are a lot of things that an artist needs to take into consideration that someone designing on paper doesn't need to worry about.

Even if you find someone to design it, then you've got to find a great artist willing to put it on you. Script is one of the most difficult, unforgiving things to tattoo. Take your time. Maybe look for some Israeli tattooers that will be visiting the states, or take a trip to Israel.

I'd be happy to go straight to an artist, but that's a lot of ifs.  Finding an artist who can do what I'm looking for in the language who works in a style I'd be happy with is a challenge I'm genuinely ignorant of how to get past.  That's part of the reason I'm interested in the website, as the designs are specifically made to be tattoos and not just standard design.  As for something like going to Israel, I just don't have anywhere near the money to do something like that (I'm in Seattle).  

That's really cool to offer and I really appreciate it, but that's all right.  It would, at its core, be the word azazel as a vertical ambigram (I have a lot of philosophical and moral beliefs centered around blame, understanding, and scapegoating), which is why I want somebody who's particularly talented in linguistic graphic design and who is fluent in the language (it would be easier to make something that simply "looked" right, but might not do the language justice).  And that in turn is the problem that lead me here, which is that I want to find the right artist and/or tattoo artist.

19 hours ago, jdka said:

I'd be happy to go straight to an artist, but that's a lot of ifs.  Finding an artist who can do what I'm looking for in the language who works in a style I'd be happy with is a challenge I'm genuinely ignorant of how to get past.  That's part of the reason I'm interested in the website, as the designs are specifically made to be tattoos and not just standard design.  As for something like going to Israel, I just don't have anywhere near the money to do something like that (I'm in Seattle).  

You can either do the hard work, or live with the disappointment. You want a very specific tattoo. Do you really think that these sites have someone fluent in Hebrew and linguistic graphic design sitting around waiting for you? They SAY the designs are specifically made to be tattoos, but I'll let you in on a secret - businesses lie.

It isn't rocket science, it's tedious work. Google Israeli tattoo artists and look for someone who does what you do. Then see if they ever come to the states. Or google hebrew script tattoo and see who does it.

It's not going to be cheap, quick or convenient, but if you don't put in the legwork, your next google search will be "laser removal".

2 hours ago, SStu said:

Your desire is going to have a very narrow window. Only a few tattooists can design and execute the finest script work. Insisting they also both be Jewish and have a deep connection to Hebrew is really shooting at a small target. 

This.

You asked for advice. It's been given to you. You don't like the answers you are being given. Either listen and try to learn, or end up with a tattoo you don't like OR never find anyone who meets your weirdly specific criteria. Those are your choices.

You're right - I don't like the advice.  That said, I apologize if I disrespected that advice.  That wasn't my intention.  What people are suggesting is a lot stricter than I expected and combined with what I want, which is a very specific and esoteric design, it's just an incredible challenge.  But I do appreciate what everyone has said.

Though I will disagree on the idea that my criteria is weirdly specific.  I want a tattoo that is script in a specific language, so having the design be by someone who is fluent in the language and can make sure the text is actually legible, let alone aesthetically pleasing, hardly seems weird.

Edited by jdka

On 5/26/2019 at 12:17 PM, jdka said:

You're right - I don't like the advice.  That said, I apologize if I disrespected that advice.  That wasn't my intention.  What people are suggesting is a lot stricter than I expected and combined with what I want, which is a very specific and esoteric design, it's just an incredible challenge.  But I do appreciate what everyone has said.

Though I will disagree on the idea that my criteria is weirdly specific.  I want a tattoo that is script in a specific language, so having the design be by someone who is fluent in the language and can make sure the text is actually legible, let alone aesthetically pleasing, hardly seems weird.

Just because you have a person who knows Hebrew and calls himself a designer doesn't mean they know how to design a tattoo. So now you are looking for a tattoo artist who knows Hebrew and understands your specific meaning behind it. That is weirdly specific. It just is.

Edited by oboogie