Can I cover these up easily?

srmccann94

So I thought I knew what I wanted with my tattoos, but as time has gone on I've grown to like them less and less. I really just want to get a geometric/psychedelic half sleeve but I'm wondering if its possible to cover up my currents tattoos and/or how difficult it would be. I know nothing about tattoo cover up.

Here are my tattoos, and one picture of an example of what I would like to cover it with if possible. Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

geometric-sleeve-guys-tattoo-ideas.jpg

I’m not a tattoo artist but based on pictures etc that I’ve seen I would think that what you’re looking to do is definitely possible.
You should research artists in your area that specialize in cover ups and go in for a face to face to get a definitive answer.

See, I respectfully disagree.
Again, I’m not an artist but those tats are small and not heavily colored and dark.
A good coverup doesn’t necessarily have to actually “cover” it. It may incorporate what is already there and make it part of the new piece.
I’m not seeing anything there that a good artist can’t work wonders with.

1 hour ago, gtrjunior said:

Again, I’m not an artist but those tats are small and not heavily colored and dark.
A good coverup doesn’t necessarily have to actually “cover” it. It may incorporate what is already there and make it part of the new piece.

Good luck with that. The style OP is looking for contains a lot of blank space between intricate designs. It’s not like throwing a big black panther over something.

Quite a bit of that is pretty light. I think the need for lasering (or not) would highly depend on the artist's abilities/style/vision and how forgiving you want to be about some stray lines that might be in the background and mostly noticed only by you. 

Where do you live?

Good luck with that. The style OP is looking for contains a lot of blank space between intricate designs. It’s not like throwing a big black panther over something.

Well you sort of made my point for me.
Had this been a big black panther that he wanted to cover then there’s no way.
But because they are light, small geometric shapes a good artist in this style could easily incorporate what is already there into a design that would work I the style the op wants to go with.

49 minutes ago, gtrjunior said:

But because they are light, small geometric shapes a good artist in this style could easily incorporate what is already there into a design that would work I the style the op wants to go with.

Um, no,  I DIDN'T make your point for you. You aren't understanding. The style he wants has so much open space between lines that practically every line in his current tattoos would have to be incorporated into the new one. THAT'S the point.

But the only opinion that really counts is the artist doing the coverup. ;-)

5 hours ago, Hogrider said:

This is the main thing I'm worried about. I think it'd be problematic if the blank space was all skin tone, but what about gray or fading black gradients in between the black? I'm wondering if tattoo ink works in layers like painting a wall in your home so theoretically you could put gray on top of black and the gray would only show, OR if the dominant color (black) will always show on top. So in my case the black lines and stuff from my current tattoos.

4 hours ago, SStu said:

Quite a bit of that is pretty light. I think the need for lasering (or not) would highly depend on the artist's abilities/style/vision and how forgiving you want to be about some stray lines that might be in the background and mostly noticed only by you. 

Where do you live?

I live in a small mountain town. There's really only a handful of decent reputable artists and just one REALLY skilled one that I am hoping will do my potential sleeve.

1 hour ago, gtrjunior said:

Do you know designing sleeves works? Is it just trial and error with the artist? Do they work on a stencil/drawing of it for a while? For all my current tattoos I'd just walk in with a picture, they print it out, make a stencil in about 5-10 minutes, then stick it on my arm and trace it. There was no adjusting or discussing it really and obviously there was no where near the level of intricacy of a geometric sleeve. So is it normal for the artist to work with someone a lot on a sleeve before even starting the actual tattooing process or is it something I need to figure out on my own?

Um, no,  I DIDN'T make your point for you. You aren't understanding. The style he wants has so much open space between lines that practically every line in his current tattoos would have to be incorporated into the new one. THAT'S the point.
But the only opinion that really counts is the artist doing the coverup. ;-)

I understand perfectly. His current tats are so small and light that any good artist in the style should have no problem incorporating them into a sleeve.

And by the way....this is a discussion forum. If you want to disagree with me that’s your prerogative. What we don’t need is your cocky “Umm’s” and capitol emphasis words. That’s just being a jerk, unnecessarily.

Do you know designing sleeves works? Is it just trial and error with the artist? Do they work on a stencil/drawing of it for a while? For all my current tattoos I'd just walk in with a picture, they print it out, make a stencil in about 5-10 minutes, then stick it on my arm and trace it. There was no adjusting or discussing it really and obviously there was no where near the level of intricacy of a geometric sleeve. So is it normal for the artist to work with someone a lot on a sleeve before even starting the actual tattooing process or is it something I need to figure out on my own?

I have a half sleeve on my right arm and I’m currently working on a full sleeve on my right.

Every step of the way we have discussed what we are going to have in the design. The artist draws it on my skin with a sharpie and then I check it out in the mirror.

I have input the whole time. But, you’ve got to trust the artist to do his/her thing. They are the professional and it’s what they do for a living.

Despite other’s opinions I think you can definitely get a killer sleeve in the desired style. Just be open to ideas. The current tats you have may present limitations but I certainly don’t think you need to have them lasered.

Also...to address the question of walking in with a pic.
For an entire sleeve like you want it’s unrealistic to think that somebody could perfectly recreate a picture you found online.
You’re best bet is to talk to the artist and let them come up with a unique design that will be all yours!

5 hours ago, gtrjunior said:

Also...to address the question of walking in with a pic.
For an entire sleeve like you want it’s unrealistic to think that somebody could perfectly recreate a picture you found online.
You’re best bet is to talk to the artist and let them come up with a unique design that will be all yours!

Right I was only planning on showing some pictures for the sake of ideas/inspiration. I would also like to draw a mock up version of certain patterns/designs myself, but ultimately I was going to leave it to the artist to distill it all and come up with something awesome! Thanks for your comments.

14 hours ago, gtrjunior said:

I understand perfectly. His current tats are so small and light that any good artist in the style should have no problem incorporating them into a sleeve.

And by the way....this is a discussion forum. If you want to disagree with me that’s your prerogative. What we don’t need is your cocky “Umm’s” and capitol emphasis words. That’s just being a jerk, unnecessarily.

If you don't like my posts, you can report me to the moderators or you can ignore them. You seem easily offended, maybe the internet is too rough for you. ;-)

Edited by Hogrider

On 6/6/2019 at 6:55 AM, gtrjunior said:

Why are you even asking then? Obviously you KNOW it all already. . . You are not a TATTOOER, drop the bit..... 

I tattoo ten chicks a week like you, you know better, be my guest..... But you know, you really don't know otherwise this convo would be ...  

Sorry guys I am sick of people asking for advice then belittling the people trying to help.

Why are you even asking then? Obviously you KNOW it all already. . . You are not a TATTOOER, drop the bit.....  I tattoo ten chicks a week like you, you know better, be my guest..... But you know, you really don't know otherwise this convo would be ...  

Sorry guys I am sick of people asking for advice then belittling the people trying to help.

I simply stated my opinion. You’re free to disagree all you want.

Maybe if you can’t work with what is there, you’re not a very good artist.

And though you’re trying to be crass by calling me a “chick”, I am in fact a man. Don’t get tough from behind your keyboard, pal.

17 hours ago, srmccann94 said:

I live in a small mountain town. There's really only a handful of decent reputable artists and just one REALLY skilled one that I am hoping will do my potential sleeve.

Is that artist skilled both in the style you want AND coverups? If not, you'll need to travel to get your work done, otherwise you're likely to end up with more tattoos you're not happy with.

• Steve locked this topic