Is this Blowout? Fixable?

NFG102

My tattoo is 3 weeks and 2 days old and it’s still raised and shiny.  I’m afraid it’s scarred even though I took perfect care of it and never ever picked and scratched it.  It’s also blurred, as you can see, making the lines not look sharp.  I’m wondering if it’s something fixable, even if I have to make the tattoo thicker to go over the blurring (even though I don’t want to do that), or if I should wait longer because the blurring may fade?

This was my first tat so I researched an artist and got recommendations, then I called but he said for what my sister and I wanted we could just walk in.  Well then we walked in and he was busy and said we’d have to come back another day (I honestly think he just didn’t want to be bothered with the small work we wanted).  But there was another guy there who was new to the shop but not new to tattooing (or so they said) and his portfolio looked really good and it had been hard to find a time to go together so we went ahead and went with the new guy, figuring we wanted simple things, it should be easy.  After though, my sister (who has lots of other tattoos) said she felt he was heavy-handed because it hurt more than her other tattoos.  Her others were done by a very reputable artist but that artist has a 6 month waiting list and won’t do anything small, and that's the problem I kept running into, no “good” artists could be bothered to do small work.

I’m wondering if I go back to the same shop, but make sure I get the first guy that I wanted, if he could make it look better?  Or should I avoid the whole shop and pay whatever it takes to get someone better to fix it if they even will bother?  Or do you think it’s still healing and will get better?  Is it scarred?

It doesn’t look awful from a few feet away, except for the one wavy blur on the inner left of the V that I feel needs to be straightened and the little dot that blurred out at the bottom.  Please don’t make me feel too awful about it, please, I am upset enough. Of course my sister’s turned out okay but it was on much thicker skin.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7505.thumb.jpeg.8546fea7625d547922f90c8b4eac13b2.jpegIMG_7506.thumb.jpeg.e98edb06782755f8c2e502bef0107c49.jpegIMG_7503.thumb.jpeg.a9843bd83e8042cae5d51c3edcf6680e.jpeg

Here's the part that's bothering me.  It looks like it dips in, but really, the needle line is straight it's just blurred out above and below it.  From a foot away the line just looks crooked.

I really hope I'm overreacting and it will fix itself with time but that's why posted so you could ease my mind if that is the case.

IMG_7516.thumb.jpeg.483c4717f1aa1295dc55abf814930ec3.jpeg

It won’t “fix” itself. You should fix your expectations of tattoos. Tattoos are imperfect. They are made by imperfect people on an imperfect canvas. They are not meant to be looked at through a microscope. It’s a small tattoo on a delicate piece of skin and any imperfection is going to be spotted easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, NFG102 said:

people who see it in person are telling me I should go back to the shop to get it fixed.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Honestly, if you don't point it out, 95% of people would never notice it.

There's nothing to fix on that tattoo. It's still healing. Tattoos look weird when they are healing. A lot of people say to give it 6 weeks to heal and then judge, but I'd given it longer, at least three months. It shouldn't be shiny or bumpy then. 

Secondly, a tattoo is not a sticker. No tattoo is perfect. Tattoos do not heal exactly the way they looked when they were first done. Skin is a living canvas and that means lines often spread or color migrates. It would be ridiculous to go back to your artist to get that "fixed." If you can't live with minor imperfections, then tattoos aren't for you. 

7 hours ago, NFG102 said:

Here's the part that's bothering me.  It looks like it dips in, but really, the needle line is straight it's just blurred out above and below it.  From a foot away the line just looks crooked.

I really hope I'm overreacting and it will fix itself with time but that's why posted so you could ease my mind if that is the case.

IMG_7516.thumb.jpeg.483c4717f1aa1295dc55abf814930ec3.jpeg

LOL it looks fine ! 

put down the magnifying glass.

Agree with everyone else, it's only a minor imperfection, nothing major. I'd be happy with it personally.

The shinyness is normal, I've got a tattoo last month that's still slightly shiney.

Edited by VenomX

11 hours ago, NFG102 said:

people who see it in person are telling me I should go back to the shop to get it fixed.

Quit listening to idiots. How exactly do they propose you fix it? You can't pull the ink back out, all you could do is make the lines thicker and you'll most likely wind up with a mess.

Thin, delicate skin is prone to blow outs, that's just a fact. Stop obsessing over it.

Well thanks for the answers.  You all says tattoos aren't perfect but mine looks like a hack job compared to other people's.  I've seen wrist tats that look perfect and crisp and mine is all blurred.  When I color over that wobbly line with a sharpie it looks good so I don't understand why an artist couldn't just do what I'm doing with a sharpie with actual tattoo ink then.  My friend who is currently a tattoo apprentice (did not do mine because he's just starting but was the one who recommended this shop) looked at it and did not tell me I was ridiculous, he said, "yeah I see what you're talking about, that should be an easy fix if you go back."  I came here to inquire if y'all thought at 3 weeks it would still change or if it looks how it's going to look.  I've also read at 3 weeks if it's still textured it's scared and mine is, but there seems to be conflicting opinions on that as well.  Oh well thank you anyway for taking the time to respond.

59 minutes ago, NFG102 said:

Well thanks for the answers.  You all says tattoos aren't perfect but mine looks like a hack job compared to other people's.  I've seen wrist tats that look perfect and crisp and mine is all blurred.  When I color over that wobbly line with a sharpie it looks good so I don't understand why an artist couldn't just do what I'm doing with a sharpie with actual tattoo ink then.  My friend who is currently a tattoo apprentice (did not do mine because he's just starting but was the one who recommended this shop) looked at it and did not tell me I was ridiculous, he said, "yeah I see what you're talking about, that should be an easy fix if you go back."  I came here to inquire if y'all thought at 3 weeks it would still change or if it looks how it's going to look.  I've also read at 3 weeks if it's still textured it's scared and mine is, but there seems to be conflicting opinions on that as well.  Oh well thank you anyway for taking the time to respond.

Never, ever, ever get another tattoo.

You are obsessing over something that isn't there. I have tattooed wrists. The skin is thin. That's how they look. Hacking it up by adding more ink is going to make it worse. LEAVE. IT. ALONE. Do not get another tattoo. Ever.

• 4 years later...

These commenters are morons. It’s CLEARLY a blowout you’ve got on your hands. Albeit a rather minor one, but clearly visible. How much it bothers you is your business but the reason it’s there in the first place is definitely on the artist and his lack of skill in working with delicate areas of the skin. 
Morons blaming you and telling you not to get tattooed clearly don’t understand what they’re looking at. 
You have every right to hold your artist accountable. 

6 hours ago, Flyingplantwhale said:

These commenters are morons. It’s CLEARLY a blowout you’ve got on your hands. Albeit a rather minor one, but clearly visible. How much it bothers you is your business but the reason it’s there in the first place is definitely on the artist and his lack of skill in working with delicate areas of the skin. 
Morons blaming you and telling you not to get tattooed clearly don’t understand what they’re looking at. 

Great first post! The perfect way to ingratiate yourself with the community.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:17 AM, Flyingplantwhale said:

You find a four-year-old post and act like an toddler in your reply.

Man. You are so cool. 🤣