Multiple tattoos at a convention

breakthischain

Hi all.  Looking for some advice here.  I'm attending an upcoming 3 day tattoo convention and was thinking about getting tattooed each day.  My dilemma would be about the healing process.  Basically I'm curious if anyone has done this before and how they healed.  I know the go-to answer will be Saniderm/Tegaderm, but I have used that stuff a few times and even though I healed fine, something about covering my tattoo with a sticky bandage just makes me paranoid something will get trapped in there.  I end up not liking it because I spend too much time worrying.  But on the other hand, if I just use the soap & aquaphor method, I'm afraid that won't be any good because I'll be around a lot of people and I'll be getting another tattoo in the same area (all 3 would be on my legs).  I'm worried about the tattoo being exposed or possibly infected, or just not heal well because of everything going on.  Thanks for reading this far and I appreciate any advice that is offered.

Edited by breakthischain

Hey! Wouldn't by chance be going to the empire state ny tattoo expo would ya? 

In any case, i did a 3 day marathon and boy was it tough. i did the ole soap and a balm that my artist provided. With that being said, you should 100% ask your artist(s) as they know how they tattoo and how their tattoos heal for the most part. They should tell you what to do but i've heard many great things about saniderm. Best of luck!

19 hours ago, cyoonit123 said:

Hey! Wouldn't by chance be going to the empire state ny tattoo expo would ya? 

In any case, i did a 3 day marathon and boy was it tough. i did the ole soap and a balm that my artist provided. With that being said, you should 100% ask your artist(s) as they know how they tattoo and how their tattoos heal for the most part. They should tell you what to do but i've heard many great things about saniderm. Best of luck!

@cyoonit123 Nope, the convention I was referring to was Pagoda City in PA.

8 hours ago, SStu said:

I love Saniderm or similar - but if you can't live with it long term (4 days or so) then just live with it for the duration of your tattooing that weekend. It'll be the best way of not contaminating your fresh work while the new work is getting accomplished. 

@SStu That's a good point.  I guess I just always assumed that once the -derm product goes on it has to stay on for a few days.

Appreciate your response, thanks.

I did both my shoulders at Imperial this year, I didn't travel but I did saniderm them and work out the following week, do it.  Also unless you are super weak and super dirty stuff doesn't get infected that easily, do it.  I get my back tattooed over 2 days and get on a plane for an entire day, do it.

If the subliminal messaging hasnt worked yet, you should do it.  Shave your whole damn leg, get tattooed three times, throw saniderm over that stuff and maybe get a 4th walk-up.

Edited by Oiocha

23 hours ago, Oiocha said:

I did both my shoulders at Imperial this year, I didn't travel but I did saniderm them and work out the following week, do it.  Also unless you are super weak and super dirty stuff doesn't get infected that easily, do it.  I get my back tattooed over 2 days and get on a plane for an entire day, do it.

If the subliminal messaging hasnt worked yet, you should do it.  Shave your whole damn leg, get tattooed three times, throw saniderm over that stuff and maybe get a 4th walk-up.

@Oiocha Haha, yes I picked up on the hints.  I like your enthusiasm!

13 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

I do it all the time, especially at Pagoda. For a convention, everything is super clean. If you are staying at the Crown Plaza, your room is close and there is food nearby. Eat, sleep, stay hydrated and get tattooed, repeat. I normally get tattooed multiple times at Pagoda. Who are you in with? 

@Gingerninja At the moment, the only appointment I have booked is with Jamie King on Sunday.  I was debating not making appts the other days and just trying my luck at walk-ups.  No hotel room, I live about 30-40 minutes away so I just make the drive each day.

1 hour ago, Hands On said:

I agree with all that has been said already.

My advice for a collector at a convention would be to get tattooed as much as you can afford by artists who are visiting from out of town. You have all year to get tattooed by local artists.

@Hands On Yeah, that's what I'm starting to realize.  I go to Pagoda every year, but I always just get 1 tattoo. 

I got 1 tattoo at Imperial the first year, then I saved up and got 2 the following year, maybe you end up getting a large scale piece started?? 1 guy at imperial is chipping away at a chest piece with Tony Huhndal every year.  Another guy started a back piece with Kiku