Postcard Travel like tattoos

Lochlan

I am pretty sure i have made my mind up on this topic that i have been ambivalent about for several years. I know the idea is not unique but like the concept so thought i would see if anyone else out there on this tattoo forum does anything similar.

I have been contemplating whether or not I was going to save one of my legs for a passport like tattoo postcard. I have had this idea for awhile as mentioned above and know others who do this. So I have decided on this one tattoo idea design which I will have various tattooers when I'm on the road or they're guest spotting do their own interpretation of it in a three by three or similar size tattoo. I figure the smaller i keep it the more i can collect as well as it should enable me to get walk-in tattoos in one sitting much easier. The satisfaction of sitting for a few hours and more than likely less than a few hours and leave with a nice tattoo completed.

Anyone out there have postcard-ish tattoos for your travels? Care to show pictures?

I started doing something like this each time I travel. I got a sweet Crawfish/Alligator/Catfish hybrid tattooed on me the last time I went down to my future home of New Orleans. I love that city more then anywhere I've been and I'm planning on getting tattooed at about each city I travel to that means something special to me. But rather then one design like you said, I get little tattoos that represent something that really inspired me on the trip. I find most of my inspiration in traveling and seeing the country so I think this idea is amazing!

So far I have Houston (where I grew up-by Kevin Poon)

kev-tijerina-albums-tattoo-collection-picture5655-left-calf-kevin-poon-scorpion-studios-houston-tx.jpg

NYC (by Steve Boltz)

kev-tijerina-albums-tattoo-collection-picture5657-outside-left-ankle-steve-boltz-smith-st-tattoo-bkny.jpg

Next up, I'll be getting a San Francisco tattoo from Cris Cleen. I'm getting a Saint Anthony on the back of my other leg in November in San Antonio (where I was born).

Loch, I like it. My entire body has already kind of turned into The Great Hodgepodge, and though I'm working on only getting large-scale stuff (weirdly hard to make the commitment lately) I've really enjoyed getting the smaller one-off tattoos from folks who have been traveling in the area (or near enough to make the trip) or doing the occasional pop-in for something little. Pretty satisfying and fun!

Care to share the design idea?

I started doing something like this each time I travel. I got a sweet Crawfish/Alligator/Catfish hybrid tattooed on me the last time I went down to my future home of New Orleans. I love that city more then anywhere I've been and I'm planning on getting tattooed at about each city I travel to that means something special to me. But rather then one design like you said, I get little tattoos that represent something that really inspired me on the trip. I find most of my inspiration in traveling and seeing the country so I think this idea is amazing!

I like New Orleans, weird awesome dirty deadly historical ethereal New Orleans. Been itching for a tattoo down there the last couple times I went. Where'd you get tattooed? The Craw-Gator-Catfish sounds incredible.

I really like the idea of postcard tattoos. Every time I travel somewhere I end up researching tattoo shops in the area and talking about trying to get a walk-in tattoo. It never seems to work out though. I've either spent way too much money on the trip already or I'm some place hot and I want to swim and not worry about healing a new tattoo. Maybe I just need to be more organized and plan something before I leave on the trip.

I like New Orleans, weird awesome dirty deadly historical ethereal New Orleans. Been itching for a tattoo down there the last couple times I went. Where'd you get tattooed? The Craw-Gator-Catfish sounds incredible.

I got tattooed at Tattoo-a-go-go by Larry Bone! It's owned by Don Davis and everyone there does really nice, clean, tattooing. Electric Ladyland is a great shop as well! I'm moving out that way next summer. Something about Louisiana makes me feel at home. I wish I knew about more shops down there but to the best of my knowledge those are the ones worth checking out.

a9wlyp.jpg

a9wlyp.jpg

HA! His whiskers make him look debonaire as shit. I passed one or two shops on Magazine when I was down there last but didn't stop in. Electric Ladyland is another spot I've been meaning to visit. Last time we were down we were all set to get tattooed and then lost steam.. Next time!

hells yes, loving this one right now....thanks everyone who has shared their tattoo travel stories and tattoo pictures......as Shadow mentioned above about planning to get tattooed then not getting it due to other reasons, i totally agree! I just may have to start doing the last day thing too........

I love New Orleans and would enjoy living there as well. I've only been once but am dying to go back! The people are so friendly and the city just has an awesome feel to it that is old and creepy yet warm and comforting in my opinion.... did you see the blog I wrote about my Five Days in New Orleans when we first launched this site? Would enjoy hearing others stories of New Orleans and/or other travel experiences........

bitchen..... Larry bone and all the guys at Tattoo-A-Go-Go are great tattooers and guys. Be sure to eat at Cochon next time down there. And, if you can make it a little further south come visit me at Marvel art in Houma. We can get some real down-the-bayou food and hang out with Emily, the gator in backyard(if i don't eat her before then).

• 1 month later...