Thin line design and ink spreading?

Remi

Hey guys, 

I’m not entirely sure what I’m even asking so bear with me.

There are two designs I’m interested in getting (spine and side forearm). Both I’m envisioning to be fairly minimalistic, small and thin lines. Because of the font and/or the symbols my artist is telling me it won’t work because the ink will spread and it won’t be clear after awhile. He’s recommending the design be way bigger than I want, which I’m not ok with.

Does this sound right? Is it possible it’s just not something HE is capable of doing and maybe I should find another artist with more experience in this type of design?

I mean, I’m seeing pictures all over the internet with designs similar to what I want. I feel like I’m missing something?

Small, thin lines on thin, delicate skin are prone to blow outs. Small tattoos with lines close together can turn into blobs.

If you really think he is just blowing smoke, get a second opinion from a really good artist. Don't go to a hack, they'll just tell you they can do it and you'll wind up with a mess. Your next post will be, "Can this be fixed?"

Thanks guys. I guess what I’m wondering is is this a technique issue maybe? I’m reading about fine line tattooing and I thought maybe that would work better for what I want and maybe this guy just doesn’t do that? 

27 minutes ago, Remi said:

Thanks guys. I guess what I’m wondering is is this a technique issue maybe? I’m reading about fine line tattooing and I thought maybe that would work better for what I want and maybe this guy just doesn’t do that? 

Sounds like this guy is actually a good artist who is telling you what issues you may expect.  You can probably find someone who will do it for you, without warning.

My artist was very straight up with me that the mandala I had in mind would look horrible in a few years.  He showed me (on his body) what close lines end up looking like.  I listened to him because the first tattoo I got, the artist said it was too small, but I didn't want anything big.  It ended up looking terrible about 5 years later.  I have since had to cover it up.

Three weeks ago my new guy did a shoulder piece that's thin lines, but the piece was MUCH bigger than I had originally intended.  I learned to listen to them, they know what they're doing.

Edited by michi0709

3 hours ago, Remi said:

Entirely possible. Not every artist does every style - and the most simple tattoos don't have ANY room for error. Post an example of what you're envisioning and a link to his/her work. 

B5D8B0D4-E1D3-42D7-9F06-1EEEA7BA2069.png

You will more than likely be able to find a tattooer that would be able to do it. What this guy seems to be concerned with is the longevity of the tattoo. Tattoos fade and spread over time. Lines close together will run together and make the tattoo not readable if not properly designed. There’s not an artist out there that can prevent this. What you will find are artist that don’t care enough to tell you this and do it anyway. Let the professional educate you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk