Cling Film ( Wrapping Tattoo )

VenomX

My tattooist told me you only keep the bandage ( cling film ) on until you get home and clean it.

On the internet some people say put the cling film on overnight too, which is true ?

Historically most of my tattoos were finished from late evening to late at night - and those artists said to keep their wrapping on until the next morning . . . but ultimately you should do what your current artist says or the outcome is on you. 😉 

The purpose of the film or bandage is to keep dirt/germs out of your fresh wound. When you're home it's a controlled area and you can remove it and start cleaning it.

My artist told me to leave the wrap on overnight when he did the shading and color on my half sleeve. It got all twisted up during the night and I removed it. When I got my inner forearm tattooed, my artist said he never wraps them... I asked for plastic wrap till I got home and he did. I've lived thru both situations.

I usually keep mine wrapped for a couple of days, changing it when I wash it 3 or 4 times a day of course. In addition to keeping the dirt out, it also keep the moisturizer on the skin and the tattoo from drying out.

I think the truth is that it's hard to ruin a tattoo. There probably isn't a lot of difference in the finished product regardless of whether you baby it or ignore it.

Lots of anecdotal advice in here, so I will throw some in. Your healing process is as important as it is subjective. Heavily saturated tattoos, and ones in sensitive areas absolutely require more intensive aftercare. I have really bad skin, and around 30 or so tattoos now. It’s all very very bold stuff except for my hand. I have a couple pieces by Julian Bast and a lot of stuff from Rempe for context. It took a long time and probably 15 tattoos before I figured out how to get them to agree with my skin. Living a healthier lifestyle certainly hasn’t hurt. I’m an extreme outlier, but I think the stuff I’ve learned may help others.

I use saniderm when it’s available, but at least some kind of covering, like cling wrap, changing maybe 3 times daily until my tattoos stop throwing plasma off. Then I wash it a few times a day and leave it the hell alone until it’s itchy. Depending on scabbing, different moisturizers come into play. Most of the time I don’t put anything on it until it’s 75% or so healed. I dry healed my hand after the saniderm stage, and it’s about as perfect as you could hope. If I don’t go through this ritual, half of my tattoo will fall out.

My brother and I both got tattooed on the same day, same tattooer about two years ago. (Very talented guy, he actually did my previously mentioned hand.) I wrapped mine for three days and my brother’s didn’t make the 2 hour ride. My larger tattoo healed in a week, his took 3 or so. He started wrapping afterwards  with much better results. 

I think you you should listen to your artist, don’t get me wrong, but first and foremost, listen to your body. Most of the guys or gals I get tattooed by nowadays just look at me and tell me to keep doing whatever it is I’m doing. I used to be someone who could make the best tattoo heal like a scratcher put it there.