Really need advice!

Haleigh

Hi, I'm not really a blogger but I desperately need some advice and have had no luck with browsing for answers. I got my tattoo July 7th. This is my second, biggest and first time getting a colored tattoo. I also have very sensitive and decently dry skin, I am also on clobetasol (topical steroid) for a disease I have. I don't believe this could be attributing to my issue, but then again I'm very unsure. I wash my tattoo morning and night with antibacterial soap, let it air dry for a minimum of 20 minutes then apply ointment, blotting the extra off and sparingly through the rest of the day. No picking, no touching and no rubbing. So least to say I'm taking care of it. However, around the week mark I developed some scabbing and it hasn't gone away. I see most of the time scabbing is usually above the skin and flakey, mine is not. My scabs seem to be in the tattoo itself. The skin on and around the tattoo is not red, or burning. The scabs do hurt but only like any other scab would. Around the scabs, the tattoo is shedding normally and healing great but these scabs will not go away. I am still using A&D on the scabs and Auqaphor on the rest of the tattoo, I tried lotion but my skin sucks it up extremely quick. The scabs ooze a small amount of plasma and ink after I apply ointment. My artist is firm on saying that my skin just doesn't like the color and that it may just be taking longer to heal. Im thinking the area may have just been over worked very and is just healing slowly?  Help! Lol15637407144936042492528975913817.thumb.jpg.82a28fc86d815ee9fa0779473648d6f5.jpg

Well, I have dry skin, too, and I don’t put stuff all over my healing tattoos. I just keep them clean and let them heal. They will get dry, but I really wouldn’t put anything on it for a few days.  It shouldn’t burn when you leave it alone, especially after all this time.

I guess everyone truly does have different opinions on how to heal tattoos, haha. I tried to let the scabs dry heal and cover the rest but when I did that, a few days later the scab reopened and started oozing again. In which then my artists suggested putting the ointment back on it. And it is on my calf so with walking a stretching it get irritated when dry.

Edited by Haleigh

50 minutes ago, Haleigh said:

I guess everyone truly does have different opinions on how to heal tattoos, haha. I tried to let the scabs dry heal and cover the rest but when I did that, a few days later the scab reopened and started oozing again. In which then my artists suggested putting the ointment back on it. And it is on my calf so with walking a stretching it get irritated when dry.

I have tons of tattoos. I’ve only had one that scabbed like this, and that was due to contaminated ink. If it is oozing that badly, please go see a doctor. I really don’t think putting ointment of any kind on it is helping.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:11 PM, oboogie said:

I think I’d wait a little while. When mine was infected, we had to wait quite a while before going back in. The skin was really tender for a few weeks.

Let us know what your doctor thinks!

Good news! Tattoo is fine and is finally starting to heal. Thinking the tattoo may have been over worked, or my skin wasn't liking the ink. Both scabs on the side are almost fully healed, the center and biggest scab has shrunk down majorly. 

15641794415277776177360672471139.jpg