I think my artist is overworking me

nothanx

So I made a previous post in here a few month back about a tattoo I had that was healing poorly with pretty thick scabs. I’m in the process of working on a full sleeve and I’m nearing the end of a years worth of work. I thought at the time it might have been my immune system because the previous 3 times and the following time I went in and had more work done my arm healed fine. However, last week we did a large bird with some pretty dark shading and he was going over the same area 3-5+ times and I could feel my skin burning. My scabs are bad again this time around and it’s near my elbow so every time I move my arm they crack and bleed. I reached out to him and he said scabbing is normal (I disagree). He is a very well established artist who has been tattooing for years and has worked on many other people I know and is the best at his shop. I don’t know what the F*** is going on. I’m not trying to tell him how to do his job but he has turned parts of my arm into hamburger meat 2 times . Do I attempt to say something to him? How would I even approach that? I’m nearing the end of my sleeve but for the amount of money I’m paying I feel like I should not have to deal with this many rough heals and get a ton of touch ups. 

EEE8343D-A5CA-4F09-A8A0-1D5D1B170631.jpeg

Edited by letsgetelectric

Scabbing can be normal. I can be but isn't necessarily the cause of being overworked. Also, cracking and opening at joints like elbows and knees is totally normal. 

On the other hand, going over the same spot 3-5+ times shouldn't be necessary at all. 

Here's the question = How is the outcome? After healing and possibly minor touch-ups are you ending up with a quality application?

Last piece that scabbed has been touched up twice and looks good now but I definitely have scarring. I  don’t believe I should not be scarred. I follow the same aftercare every time and I say overworked because the area gets really puffy with a lot of plasma coming up and is soft/yellow while it’s healing and then as it scabs will bleed. It’s not the whole tattoo though only where the area has been gone over multiple times. Also, my ditch came out totally fine! 

Edited by letsgetelectric

Like everything in tattooing - it depends. I've got well over 200 hours of being tattooed and rarely have any scabbing. I don't think I have any scarring, at least none that I can see or feel. I don't know if it's my artist, my skin, or my aftercare - probably a little bit of all three.

As to your artist, well known, tattooing for years, best in the shop don't mean anything. The only thing that counts is the final outcome.

I think you're probably stuck with just getting through this. If you aren't happy, don't go back. Realistically, what do you think is going to happen; you'll accuse him of being heavy handed and causing scarring and he'll say, "You're right, I'm sorry, I'll be more careful."

33 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

Like everything in tattooing - it depends. I've got well over 200 hours of being tattooed and rarely have any scabbing. I don't think I have any scarring, at least none that I can see or feel. I don't know if it's my artist, my skin, or my aftercare - probably a little bit of all three.

As to your artist, well known, tattooing for years, best in the shop don't mean anything. The only thing that counts is the final outcome.

I think you're probably stuck with just getting through this. If you aren't happy, don't go back. Realistically, what do you think is going to happen; you'll accuse him of being heavy handed and causing scarring and he'll say, "You're right, I'm sorry, I'll be more careful."

Most likely wouldn’t go that way. He’d probably look at me like I’m a crazy bitch. I love my tattoo and want my arm finished and I really like him as a person. All of my color has healed perfectly no scarring no scabbing it’s just the black shading that both times have been really bad. I do think after this is done I will try a different artist for something else. The healing process has been extremely frustrating for me. I just wonder if I could be like hey can we take it easy on the shading and add more next time? I want to avoid these scabs because they are extremely painful!