Tattooers with little to no tattoos

Lochlan

I think I'd have to look at the tattooer on a 'case by case basis' for this, to be honest. There are some people I know who are covered and don't really put out work that's great, and I know some who aren't that visibly covered who rock. The guy down the street might have no tattoos for a good reason (like, I dunno.. haemophilia?) but is incredible at what he does.

All I know for sure is that I'd respect a great tattooer with no tattoos of their own a lot more than someone who's shit, who has loads of tattoos to try to prove a point.

The original post was. Tattooers with little or no tattoos.

I AM SPEAKING FROM A TATTOOER'S STANDPOINT ONLY.

If someone was unable to get tattoos because of a medical condition - of course I would not have less "respect" for them as a tattooer . But, from a tattooer point of view, CHOOSING not to get tattooed - is what I would question.

What acceptable answer could their be when posed with the question, " Why as a tattooer have you chosen not to get tattooed?" I can't make up my mind, my girlfriend won't let me, I might regret it in the future. Certainly choosing to wait, planning out work, saving money etc. Are all perfectly acceptable answers, in my opinion.

And again, not having tattoos does not make a person any less capable of doing amazing tattoos.

I personally do not respect tattooers as much that have no tattoos either. Now maybe I'm being closeminded but fuck it. I wanna know that a tattooer is devoted to his trade; mentally, emotionally, financially and most of all physically. I'm not talking about being heavily tattooed but at least a forearm shot or two. If you're a tattooer and have not one single tattoo or maybe just one... You're just a tourist in our business, go back to selling real estate, there's more of that 'glory' stuff you're lookin' for.

I don't get it. I love tattooing on every level. Despite the changes in the business over the last few years, I still love it. I love getting tattooed even though I hate how much it hurts. I love putting a tattoo on someone. I love the bonds I have made from tattooing AND BEING TATTOOED. I'm not suggesting that everyone should have tattoos on their hands and neck like I do, but if you tattoo, I would think you might want to have some awesome work. My tattoos are constantly visible and I am proud of them and proud that I am lucky enough to be a tattooer. As to what others have said, I have learned tons from getting work done by great tattooers. I would not be the tattooer I am without having information passed to me by other artists. You can only learn so much by sitting in the same chair day in and day out. Also, I am never more inspired than when I visit another shop and get tattooed. It gives me an energy that is amazing. I often want to get right back into the shop and draw and tattoo better. Anyway, I love tattooing and can't imagine not getting tattooed while being in this business. It has never made sense to me but I guess to each his own but I wouldn't get tattooed by someone who doesn't have tattoos. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I personally do not respect tattooers as much that have no tattoos either. Now maybe I'm being closeminded but fuck it. I wanna know that a tattooer is devoted to his trade; mentally, emotionally, financially and most of all physically. I'm not talking about being heavily tattooed but at least a forearm shot or two. If you're a tattooer and have not one single tattoo or maybe just one... You're just a tourist in our business, go back to selling real estate, there's more of that 'glory' stuff you're lookin' for.

______________________ Perfect quote! You're just a tourist........ And everybody hates a tourist.

I would never get tattooed by someone who had no tattoos--or even just a couple--but I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Horiyoshi II (Tamotsu Kuronuma--no relation by blood or lineage to Yokohoma Horiyoshi III) had no tattoos himself. The story, or at least the story I've heard, is that he learned the trade from his heavily tattooed father, who taught him on the condition that he would not get tattooed himself due to the severe prejudice in Japan against tattooed people.

He is the one exception I can think of. Based on the work he put out, and the extenuating circumstances behind his lack of tattoos, he gets a pass. (Not that the late great Horiyoshi II gives a shit about what some gaijin thinks of him.)

Horiyoshi II's father not only fed himself and his family by tattooing, but he covered many other peoples family members in ink. Yet he did not want his son being tattooed.

Some may think this is a huge hypocrisy.

Some may think that it is just a natural desire to protect ones family.

Putting aside pain, there are many reasons people, even tattooists, may not want to have tattoos.

I think they need to know what it feels like, I think they should enjoy the art form, and probably have some tattoos, but how many is to many is a personal choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess being a client/ counter guy my opinion doesn't count for much but I would not get tattooed by someone with no tattoos. Some people have more than others and that's their business and I understand not having time or just taking a break or saving some space for down the road but if you have never had the desire to get tattooed it just seems weird and I can't imagine my boss hiring someone who doesn't like tattoos which is honestly the only explanation I can think of as most of the guys at the shop like to get tattoos and trade every chance they get with tattooers around town making money a non issue.

I personally do not respect tattooers as much that have no tattoos either......... You're just a tourist in our business,....

There are sometimes exceptions to any rule and I agree with Tim but I would go much further and use the term parasite. They are feeding off something and giving nothing back.

I fail to see how any tattooer can understand what they are doing to people if they have no tattoos. Yeah there's the pain side. Mostly it's not that bad, but if you're tattooing ribs, chests, backs etc you should at least have empathy with your customer. But more than the sensation of being tattooed, there's the mental and emotional side to being a tattooed person. The way it feels to have made a deliberate choice to get a tattoo, placed a certain amount of trust in a stranger (usually) and to have the results with you every moment of your existence. To know what it's like to live with a tattoo, to see it age with your body etc. Not forgetting the social side, the way other people interact with you, either positive or negative. All these things cannot be understood without having tattoos.

Being heavily tattooed is certainly no indicator of the quality of a tattooers work, but I have zero respect for tattooers with no tattoos.

erik inksmith dosn't have a ton of tattoos and he's still good and doing tattoos to this day

however, i would never get tattooed by someone if they didn't have visible stuff

Tattooing came to Eric later in his life. He was close to forty years old and unlike the majority of other tattooers who become interested in the business and art of tattooing after collecting tattoos , his interest in the art, culture and history and especially the how's and whys of applying beautiful tattoos - came first.

He does have only a couple of tattoos on his arms but on his legs are solid, bold, strong tattoos that he is known for - often as a result of his experimentation early in his career. Eric is a rarity.

Tattooing came to Eric later in his life. He was close to forty years old and unlike the majority of other tattooers who become interested in the business and art of tattooing after collecting tattoos , his interest in the art, culture and history and especially the how's and whys of applying beautiful tattoos - came first.

He does have only a couple of tattoos on his arms but on his legs are solid, bold, strong tattoos that he is known for - often as a result of his experimentation early in his career. Eric is a rarity.

It's been an amazing opportunity for me as a non-tattooer being able to have seen all the art in his shops and a lot of stuff him Mike, Richard and others who've been through the shop have collected over the years. Priceless really. Being around his shops really helped me learn a lot about art and what a good tattoo can be.

There are sometimes exceptions to any rule and I agree with Tim but I would go much further and use the term parasite. They are feeding off something and giving nothing back.

What are they supposed to give back ?

I have been around tattoos and tattooists for some 30 years, and it always puzzles me when I hear statements like this.

Many, many of the great tattooists got into the industry simply to make a living...we all need to put food on the table and a roof over our heads, yet some act like tattooing is some type of sacred craft... its not the freemasons you know :confused:

Yes there are many reasons people get tattoos, but to call artists who are not covered, parasites, well that sounds like the man talking.

There are many reasons people become tattoo artists, but as long as they are producing quality tattoos in a sterile environment, while being pleasant and polite, they serve the industry of tattooing as much as any other tattooist...

There are lots of well inked, superstar tattooist/artist/clothing designers/tv star types that are doing a lot more damage to the industry that a little tattooed artist ever will.

Lets see what happens when our friends have finished licencing their work to everyone that asks, when tattooing, and tattoo related images become "uncool", then tell me about parasites.

What are they supposed to give back ?

I have been around tattoos and tattooists for some 30 years, and it always puzzles me when I hear statements like this.

Many, many of the great tattooists got into the industry simply to make a living...we all need to put food on the table and a roof over our heads, yet some act like tattooing is some type of sacred craft... its not the freemasons you know :confused:

Yes there are many reasons people get tattoos, but to call artists who are not covered, parasites, well that sounds like the man talking.

There are many reasons people become tattoo artists, but as long as they are producing quality tattoos in a sterile environment, while being pleasant and polite, they serve the industry of tattooing as much as any other tattooist...

There are lots of well inked, superstar tattooist/artist/clothing designers/tv star types that are doing a lot more damage to the industry that a little tattooed artist ever will.

Lets see what happens when our friends have finished licencing their work to everyone that asks, when tattooing, and tattoo related images become "uncool", then tell me about parasites.

From my understanding the parasite comment appears to be directed tattooers with no tattoos.

Would you go to a dentist that had missing teeth? Would you go buy a car from a sales man that takes the bus? Would you buy a cake from a baker that does not eat sweets. How about a Fat Personal trainer? LOL I am having too much fun with this. All to be said that getting tattooed by an artist with little to no tattoos, makes little to no sense at all. But to each their own.

What are they supposed to give back ?.

Anyone who does tattoos should be putting some of that hard earned cash and energy back into tattooing. Get tattoos from people you like, and pay for them. Buy paintings and prints. Go to conventions and buy a booth or pay for a pass. Help out your fellow artists by sharing tips and tricks with those who deserve to learn them. It's all about putting back into something what you've been to lucky to have taken out of it.

Tattooing IS a sacred craft and should be treated as such. Not everyone deserves to have a tattoo and not everyone should be putting them on people. If you can't sit still for 15 minutes while you're getting a kanji then you shouldn't be getting it done. If you can't respect the trade you're in enough to want to give back then you shouldn't be there in the first place.

If all someone is after is to make money, then go get a job doing graphic design cause unless you make it your life tattooing isn't going to give you any more money then anything else.

I DO agree that a lot of the 'famous' heavily tattooed people are doing more damage then good, but I'd never get tattooed by them either.

...Many, many of the great tattooists got into the industry simply to make a living...we all need to put food on the table and a roof over our heads, yet some act like tattooing is some type of sacred craft...

Nobody who tattoos simply to make a living, to put food on the table becomes 'great'. Maybe it's starts that way, but somewhere along the line something will change. Anybody who became 'great' at anything sacrificed a lot to get there. That's where the respect comes in.

Tattooing isn't just another artform to 'express' yourself. It's something very different that has similarities to other crafts and arts but it's something that stands alone. You can draw similarities with other fields (and it can be fun to dream them up) but in the end nothing else has the same mix of craft, decoration, artistry, service and an emotional connection.

The respect doesn't come from the amount of tattoos someone has.

The lack of respect comes from the hypocrisy to dare to do to others what you cannot allow to be done to yourself. A subtle but very definite distinction.

I would like to add that ANY craft is sacred. The time and energy spent perfecting any craft is akin to spiritual devotion. Anybody who fully understands their craft deserves respect.

It's impossible to fully understand tattooing without having tattoos. One or two small ones doesn't count.

I understand that visible tattoos are not for everybody, but that's not what's being discussed here.

Anybody who buys supplies, attends conventions, buys magazines etc, serves the 'industry'.

Those who get heavily tattooed and take their shirt off for a photo shoot, serve the 'industry'. - I never mentioned them, or the industry, as they are a different argument that I have no interest in.

Tattooers who aim for quality and get tattooed serve the CRAFT.

They also HAVE respect for the craft, so they deserve nothing but respect in that regard.

Being 'cool' has nothing to do with it.

Stewart Robson; there's the mental and emotional side to being a tattooed person. The way it feels to have made a deliberate choice to get a tattoo, placed a certain amount of trust in a stranger (usually) and to have the results with you every moment of your existence. To know what it's like to live with a tattoo, to see it age with your body etc. Not forgetting the social side, the way other people interact with you, either positive or negative. All these things cannot be understood without having tattoos.

Please before every thinks iam a troll i am sure this guy is from another forum. were this same debate was started by this very guy but under the name blue rino and once it wasnt that he didnt agree with peoples opoions he just wanted to argue and argue untill some would agree with him and eventully he was banned. as Stewart writes " Not forgetting the social side, the way other people interact with you, either positive or negative. All these things cannot be understood without having tattoos." the real reason as he put was his wife doesnt have tattoos is because her parents dont like them which is fine as people said she shouldnt be putting them on otheres. sorry rant over