Tattooers with little to no tattoos

Lochlan

Yep I am that guy who was banned from the other forum. I found the members offensive and the moderators unfair. But I am also learning that what is said verbally can sound totally different when written on a board like this, so I am happy to be over here, thankfully there is a totally different vibe that I hope the members of other forums will adopt when they come over.

Yes my wife is scared of her parents - they have a tendancy to invalidate people they disagree with, not allowing communication for years because of silly things, so she would rather not upset the apple cart... that being said she is planning a half sleeve, which she wants the guy she apprentices under to do. Having realised her parents do not approve of any of her choices, and knowing that her working in the industry will make them spin, she is slowly worrying less and less about what they think.

As for the topic of conversation, I am beginning to realise just how personal the craft ( I love that word) is to each of us. It seems that our opinions are formed by how we got into the industry, and our own personal experiences of life in general.

Some people are easy going and care less, some live by standards they feel are non-negotiable. Both are cool.

There is no denying that some amazing artists started out on their own without any training or guidance.

There are also many tattooists who do a great job with little or no tattoos.

Both groups earned their respect through years of hard work and perseverance.

If someone new enters the industry they cannot expect that same respect, and will find it easier to be accepted by being tattooed and by working under the guidance of those who have been around for a long time.

I am still trying to find this article I read a while back, it was from an artist lamenting the fact that everyone wants to do tattoos these days due to "Maimi Ink" and the like. One artist was recounting his talk with some kid who was going on and on about how it was his destiny to be a tattooer, how it was his calling and what not. So he asks the kid, "well what kind of work do you got yourself" and the kid was all mortified and said how he just wanted to do them.

Unless I'm wearing shorts or sandals I have no visible tattoos. I have my right leg tattooed from knee to foot and almost my entire left leg from thigh to foot. Also have tiny writing on the inside of my wrist the nobody ever notices. Completely covered if I wear a watch. I get the no visible tattoo bs sometimes but it's all in fun. Different strokes for different folks. Somebody at The Masters Invitational did ask me why I: don't have any tattoos?/ visible tattoos?/ or hadn't tattooed myself. He made a joke and then said "seriously though, I would never buy fish from a fisherman who doesnt eat his own catch". Cool quote but to each his own.

...and what ever happened to don't judge a book by it's cover

If that is really what you want to believe than that's your prerogative. I feel your being as ignorant as the people who felt/ feel people with tattoos are irresponsible, bad parents, menaces to society, drug using/ dealing good for nothings. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Everyone is entitled to feel the way they do tho so get work by who you will for the reasons you decide. As far as giving back though you can just buy an artist art or flash or attend a seminar, etc. You don't have to get their work tattooed on you.

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to say ty for posting your work on whatever forum . Beautiful.

I feel your being as ignorant as the people who felt/ feel people with tattoos are irresponsible, bad parents, menaces to society, drug using/ dealing good for nothings. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Beautiful.

Sort of how I feel, but then again I am not an artist, but hope that if I was I would still have an open mind.

Here's a question, then: if you went to a tattooer and you couldn't see any tattoos on them, would you ask them if they had them? I think you'd have to be careful about not being rude by asking, though from what the popular opinion is here, it's worth knowing.

I mean, you don't really know that they actually have a massive backpiece or tattoos on their legs unless you were to ask, I guess.

I don't think anyone would feel attacked by your comments, Bart, your comments are more than fair, and overall, your personal opinions. :) I think I would wonder, too, though I'm not sure whether I would outwardly ask about it. I think that's just a personal thing though, since I already put my foot in my mouth enough, haha.

I've never been tattooed by anyone that wasn't almost completely covered, and I can't think of any tattooer I know that isn't mostly all covered. Its like the analogy of hanging out in a barbershop, you're eventually gonna get a haircut. If you love tattooing, and you're around good artists, how could you not end up covered in them? If anything, I'd be weary of a tattooer who only had new and perfect tattoos. From what I've seen, a lot of amazing tattooers who've been tattooing for a long time are covered in kinda crappy tattoos (sorry, no offense), because they've been around tattooing for so long. Or they're under there somewhere, 2 or 3 layers down. Chrome bio-mechanical Virgin Mary, anyone? Of course, I'd never fault someone for being young, (or rich or thin or beautiful, for that matter), so young tattooers are exempt from this generalization, but I can't think of any 20 yr. olds I'd let tattoo me, either.

no tattoos.....no love.......fuck you in the face for thinking you can tattoo and not be tattooed, the trade involves a commitment a dedication to the craft. if you dont respect it or like it enough to get the product you produce on you then you are a parasite.....''robbing from the host." i think that would be the definition. as for boris i have no interest in what he has to offer. has anyone seen how many ink caps that guy uses. how many fucking shades of skin tone can you need? or does that weird rotary you take the tips of not blend a color. christ!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...