Initiation

Heatherr

I recently had a half sleeve done.  It is my first large tattoo.  The regret, and panic I feel after getting this tattoo has been crushing to me.  I am not an emotional person so this is strange behavior for me.  

Is this normal? Not normal? 

I am trying to reason with myself to find something about the tattoo that I love and I can't.  I feel like I am talking myself further down the rabbit hole and almost into a depression over it all. 

I know people that have experienced this, especially when it is a large or highly visible tattoo. You've drastically changed the way you look, so your brain has to "re-define" how it pictures your body. This can often lead to some temporary distress or anxieties. All my friends who have experienced this felt better after your brain gets used to your new look and self image.

Hope that helps!

On 9/5/2019 at 10:25 PM, Heatherr said:

I recently had a half sleeve done.  It is my first large tattoo.  The regret, and panic I feel after getting this tattoo has been crushing to me.  I am not an emotional person so this is strange behavior for me.  

I am trying to reason with myself to find something about the tattoo that I love and I can't.  I feel like I am talking myself further down the rabbit hole and almost into a depression over it all. 

I ve not been here for long but it seems this feeling is very common and i would go as far as considering it as part of the overall healing process

Most likely time will have you deal with that feeling before you know it

On 9/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, Heatherr said:

I've never had this happen personally, but I've seen a lot of people online talking about similar feelings. I'm sure you'll get over it eventually. If people can learn to carry on with life after getting an amputation or 3rd degree burns, you can get used to a tattoo. (Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the human brain is surprisingly adaptable.) If you still hate it in a few years, maybe you can get it lasered off? But that's seriously doubtful. 

On 9/5/2019 at 1:25 PM, Heatherr said:

it's totally normal

• 4 months later...

Hey I’m new to this forum I recently got a large tattoo ( part of a on going sleeve ) covers my whole wrist area I had it done 3 weeks ago at first I really liked it but as days went by I started getting all depresssed and sad I woke up staring at it thinking was this a good choice my girlfriend has been there for me through out it all I’m currently 3 weeks in since it been done I’m starting to feel a little better I guess I just need advice on how to cope and if I will ever feel normal from people with similar experiences thank you