General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

... though there was some asshole in the theater laughing through some of the really quiet dramatic parts...

I was the asshole laughing during the gory parts = )

As for "A Serbian Film", I don't do well with anything that depicts (SPOILER ALERT) hurting kids- it just infuriates me, honestly.

Yeah- I heard it was pretty interesting screening when they showed it here at Fantastic Fest last year.

I think everywhere it was shown had the same reaction. I think half of the people really enjoyed it for what it was, and the other half either walked out or just despised every second of it. I usually judge the latter half by saying "Its a movie man, get over it." But some of the shit in that film I even had trouble stomaching. I would rather watch Cannibal Holocaust on repeat for a week before watching it another time.

has anyone seen hard candy? i let the guy i work with borrow it and he hated it. never did explain why but i thought it was pretty fucked up. now it didn't mess with me as much as requiem for a dream but still fucked up.

i was made to watch it cos my friend LOVED it and i absolutely hated it, the main reason was the main lead, hellen paige or something like that. she spoils every film she does, cant stand her style of precocious acting.

i was made to watch it cos my friend LOVED it and i absolutely hated it, the main reason was the main lead, hellen paige or something like that. she spoils every film she does, cant stand her style of precocious acting.

I feel the same way - I hated her in Juno and Inception.

now i feel obligated to incorporate the woop woop on general principle. a variation on the old drinking game, perhaps. so whenever gary oldman shows up on screen and makes a very serious look of consternation, i will probably feel compelled to yell out "woop woop." if roving gangs of 14 year olds are allowed to carry on phone calls/serial text-bookface marathons at every movie i attend, surely i am well within my right here (?)

end thread derail rant.

Meant to throw this up a while back, but the other movie I saw recently was 'Warrior' with Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton.

Since we had the debacles that were 'Never back down' and 'Redbelt' (both admittedly straying close to "so bad they're good" territory) I wasn't expecting much from this MMA movie, even though the word on the grapevine was that it had a Rocky-style plot and some proper advice from MMA coach Greg Jackson.

Anyway, I thought this was actually a feally good showcasing of what an exciting sport MMA is, as well as being a well-plotted movie in pure drama terms. Barring the inlcusion of a suspiciously pro-wrestling looking "powerbomb" in one fight the choreography was all bang-on. Some nice jiu-jitsu from Edgerton in particular.

Tom Hardy presumably held onto a lot of the lean muscle mass he built up for this role when he played Bane in the new Batman movie....?