General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

To give you a taste of what I'm into, before you take suggestions... a few of my favorite directors are Tarantino, the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, and Stanley Kubrick.

That being said, I just watched Pan's Labyrinth for the first time last night and I was pretty captivated throughout. The trailer, the dvd cover, and back of the box synopsis make it seem like a kid's movie, but it's far from it... in fact I'd highly recommend keeping kids far away from the TV while this one's on. The director, Guillermo del Toro, definitely doesn't hold back with the blood and gore. This film takes you on a bit of a dark adventure... if you're into that sort of thing, I think you'd enjoy it.

The Devil's Backbone. Watch it if you like del Toro, don't if you don't like children. This one is more like a children's horror story. Nicely done (as in really quality film, the story more emotional than scary though)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DO NOT GO SEE "WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN EXPECTING." It seemed to have some comedic value in the trailers... No. Those mother fuckers lied.

Dennis Quaid was the best part.

SPOILER ALERT:

THEY HAVE KIDS AT THE END AND EVERYONE IS REALLY HAPPY.

On a lighter note, I bought Shawshank Redemption yesterday. Cant wait to watch when I get home.

A few of my favorites:

Frontier(s)...a brilliantly hopeless French horror film that I just watched (again) tonight

I'm a Cyborg but That's Ok

Oldboy

Little Otik

Welcome to the Dollhouse...I can't tell you how much I was like Dawn Weiner growing up.

Mary and Max...and all the shorts from Adam Elliot.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw 'The Raid' on Thursday. Excellent Indonesian action movie about a SWAT team who go into a multi-story appartment block full of criminals in order to arrest the guy living in the penthouse. Predictably, they get caught halfway up and end up getting it from all sides. The trailer sold this as a martial arts movie, and there is an awful lot of the indonesian martial art of silat showcased ... But I was actually surprised when I saw it how slick of an all-round thriller it is. To be honest, when I watch martial arts movies my brain eventually shuts off - there are only so many 5 minute beautifully choreographed fights you can watch before they all start to look the same. But 'The Raid' actually has some good plot twists, character development and good soundtrack on top of that. I gather an american re-make (possibly with an MMA fighter in the lead role) is already in the works.

Then today I saw 'Prometheus'. I actually thought of starting a spoiler thread to discuss this movie, because when I walked out I felt like I had more questions than when I went in. A few minutes of googling found some interviews with Ridley Scott which kind of cleared up most of my questions. If you're a fan of 'Alien' and 'Aliens' then this is obviously a must-see but just in general terms what blew me away about it were the cinematography and soundtrack. The opening shots (not sure where they're of) are really just beautiful - a visual feast.

See it in 3D. Scott's use of it is one of the best examples of why it's viable and not a gimmick. Added to the film.

That said... I didn't LOVE the film like I thought I would. But it was PRETTY.

the movie was definitely cool, but i was underwhelmed by it. some of the acting was atrocious, as well as some of the dialogue. definitely a cool story, and i like that there were a lot of things left unanswered.

@Our Endless Days

There'll be a sequel, according to Scott. Might answer some of those questions (although I suspect he's delighted that Prometheus has sparked such debates about what was going on, motivations etc).

As mentioned earlier, what sticks out for me about it is the visuals... Such beautiful cinematography and design.

@Our Endless Days

There'll be a sequel, according to Scott. Might answer some of those questions (although I suspect he's delighted that Prometheus has sparked such debates about what was going on, motivations etc).

As mentioned earlier, what sticks out for me about it is the visuals... Such beautiful cinematography and design.

the visuals were great. the scene where david is in the command/cockpit of the ship and he's seeing the visual/hologram of what happened to the engineers was so awesome.

'Aliens' was on TV last night. Seeing it so closely on the heels of 'Prometheus' really made me realise how much better 'Aliens' is. I know we're talking about a different type of movie, but 'Aliens' has all of what I liked about 'Prometheus' too ... Strong visuals, a cohesive design aesthetic, great female lead... Plus it just works better as an action horror - the plot hangs together seamlessly.

When I flicked over to it it was at the point of the landing scene, where the female pilot with the mirrored aviators is landing the drop-ship in front of the facility. It's pissing down rain, Hicks is asleep in his full armour, and Hudson is mouthing off. There's a palpable sense of menace and tension, and even the minor characters like Vasquez and the guy from the Company (I forget his name) seem to have great cartoony qualities. Compared to all that, 'Prometheus' with its Lawrence-of-Arabia android and Noomi Rapace banging on about God begins to look a little lacking. In 15 years time will we remember the minor characters of 'Prometheus' the same way we do the likes of Newt and Vasquez? I doubt it.

I saw it Friday. I dug it. Greatest movie ever? no. Badass and actually worth paying to see? yep.

it's definitely worth seeing. after reading more online about, reading about the myth of prometheus, and thinking about certain things that were left unanswered int he movie, i've begun to like it much more. i don't think this movie will fall into the realm of sci-fi greats like the original two alien movies, but it was still pretty good. i liked how the engineers looked.

the scene where the biologist is talking to the facehugger before it fucks him up was so stupid. here's a biologist calling over an alien fucking creature, of which he has absolutely zero knowledge of. the guy that played dr. holloway was such a fucking turd and a horrible actor; the scene where noomi rapace is talking about how she's sterile was so forced and lame; charlize theron's character left something to be desired, and when you realize she's weyland's daughter was just laughable when this 90 something year old dude is about ready to crack her.

cool movie with cool visuals and a pretty cool storyline. overall, i'd recommend it, but be aware that it's not as great as you'd think it would be.