General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

Wes Anderson is love him or hate him. I fall in the 'love' category. Moonrise Kingdom was sweet. The usual Anderson touches (kids in animal costumes, running away for adventure) are either cliche or trademark (I fall in the trademark category) depending on how you view it. So cute.

i can't wait to see this movie.

CBGB'c movie being filmed in Savannah? Must be cheap to film here.

starring Hans Gruber as Hilly Kristal/Owner

300px-HillyKristal@CBGB

20101016_164001_d1647_hans_grub.jpg

Snape_OOP_trailer.png

Harry Potter Bro as Dead Boys guitarit Cheetah Chrome

cheetah-cbgb-actor.jpg?9d7bd4

Some famous chick I dont know as Blondie

malinakerman-debbieharry.jpg

Some other famous people I dnt know as Joey Ramone

joey-cbgb-actor.jpg?9d7bd4

Johnny Ramone

johnny-630x414.png

and Genya Ravan

21792.jpgStana-Katic.jpg

Screen-shot-2012-06-04-at-1.14.59-PM1-e1338830723924.png

I missed the casting call, but I wasnt pressed to begin with. I dont think I fit That Look.

The ABCs of CBGB

Django looks awesome...

Watched a movie called 'Wake Wood' from then newish Hammer Horror reboot studio yesterday. It's got Aidan Gillien in it (you may remember him as the young mayor from 'The Wire' or Littlefinger from 'Game of Thrones'). Set and filmed in Donegal, where I'm originally from, which is a really rural part of Ireland. You're not so much talking hillbillies as neolithic hillforts.

Anyway, the movie was pretty good. Not dissimilar to 'Pet Semetary' in concept.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dark Knight Rises.

I don't really know what to think about it.

I need to see it a second time. The editing felt rushed. The re-recorded dialogue for Bane (despite Nolan claiming he didn't touch it up) made him sound like a weird Brit Butler. The 'reveals' were so forshadowed that you could see them a mile away. The cameo was fun. (No spoilers. you knew there would be cameos) but the whole thing felt... disjointed?

Going to see 'The Dark Knight Rises' this evening. Looking forward to it - particularly the Bane character.

I also watched a trailer for the new Superman reboot this morning - 'Man of steel'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U

I've always been more of a Batman than a Superman guy, but I think this could be great. I like 'year one' type reboots, and if this is directed by Zack Snyder (Watchmen) and produced by Christopher Nolan it should be pretty well-handled.

Going to see 'The Dark Knight Rises' this evening. Looking forward to it - particularly the Bane character.

I also watched a trailer for the new Superman reboot this morning - 'Man of steel'.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U

I've always been more of a Batman than a Superman guy, but I think this could be great. I like 'year one' type reboots, and if this is directed by Zack Snyder (Watchmen) and produced by Christopher Nolan it should be pretty well-handled.

I like both Batman and Superman done correctly (ie by Grant Morrison or Frank Miller) would be nice to see " dark knight falls" with Batman v Superman or even a Decent Justice League movie !

Saw 'The Dark Knight Rises' tonight.

Overall I enjoyed it and it continued the tradition (IMO) established in 'The Dark Knight' of having a villain who is far more compelling than the Batman himself. Thought Tom Hardy was brilliant as Bane... The aesthetic, the several kilos of beef he looks to have gained for the role, the accent.... Very cool.

What I wasn't so crazy about:-

-The editing did seem bizarrely choppy and almost unfinished in parts. What was up with that? I just don't get it - maybe I'm missing the artistic merit (I'm not being a smartass here, maybe someone else takes something else different from the way some of the scenes were executed).

-Seems to me in the rush to get the 12 certificate they neutered the fight scenes. The fight scenes just seemed pretty pedestrian. Bane and Batman lumbering around slugging one another like WWE wrestlers. I know the guys who choreographed the fight scenes (not personally) and if this was the most exciting they could do then I'm dissapointed.

-The audio seemed odd. Music seemed to drown out a lot of the dialogue, and not just Bane and Batman's growling. I know they enhanced Bane's parts to try and make them more intelligible, but it seemed to me that even ordinary characters were somehow unaudible. Or else I'm getting old. Possibly I am broken-down and slightly old. I found myself identifying with Bruce when the doctor tells him his knees and shoulders are shot (sadly I lack the billions to accompany the wear-and-tear).

That said, overall I liked it. I thought the ending worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U

There are two Superman trailers, btw:

Same video, but the audio is different.

One is Pa Kent (Kevin Costner) and the other is Jor-el (Russel Crowe) talking to Clark/Kal

Depending on what theater you go to... you get Crowe or Costner.

Incidentally, both of Supe's dads have played Robin Hood.

Interesting to see where people slot the various movies in the trilogy in terms of standing...

I really liked Batman Begins. To be honest, though, I have a special love for origin stories- I think they're quite a fundamental plot (Hero with a thousand faces stuff) and BB was well-executed.

That said, I don't think BB was the piece of cinematography that TDK was. I'm not sure I got the same child-like low-brow pleasure from TDK as from BB, but I think it felt like something special.

Not sure where I would slot TDKR in yet, but I think it's a worthy part of the series.

Gary Oldman has commented that the studios may do Batman 4 and 5 in the series, for monetary reasons, but that he and Christopher Nolan won't be part of it.

Wonder how hard up for money Christian Bale is..?

- - - Updated - - -

(NWS... Darth Bale mash-up)

• 1 month later...

'Isolation' (2005). Basically it's 'Alien' set on an Irish farm. A genetic experiment goes wrong, angry cows etc.

What I like about Irish movies like this is that they could be set anywhere. It's a farm, sure, and we have lots of farms in Ireland, but what I mean is there's no leprechauns, there's no-one singing rebel songs, no smiling red-haired lasses dancing at crossroads etc. Less paddywhackery, more ... Er... calves with teeth.

I was fairly disappointed in DKR. Personally I thought the villains were meh at best, and the scheme was unclear for a good part of the movie. Still worth watching in a theater, but the weakest of the 3 movies IMO.

I saw it 2 weeks ago, had a head full of Percosets and would have probably grokked over Heidi or Ishtar.... gonna have to see it again, maybe they'll have it where my wife gets her nails done.... 5 bucky... win, win.

CG

• 3 months later...