General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

• 2 weeks later...

@eisen777 ,

I think one of the earliest Conan short stories (The Phoenix and the Sword from 1932) actually deals with Conan as King, late in his life. There's an attempt on his iife and basically he ends up chopping a whole conspiracy's worth of assassins into dog-meat in his chambers ('Rush in and die dogs - I was a man before I was a king!'). It'd be cool if this is in that vein - a gnarly old badass Conan a little like Batman from 'The Dark Knight Returns'.

Saw 'The Hobbit' today. Crucially I went to a 2D showing... I can't imagine watching 3D for nearly three hours - recipe for a headache. Also, when you've got a lot happening on screen, in semi-dark and with special effects, things are hard enough to follow at the best of times. When I watch an action movie in 3D I feel like I'm going blind, everything is a blur.

As for the movie itself, I've got to admit I found it really enjoyable. If you go into it bearing in mind that 'The Hobbit' was a kid's novel, whereas 'The Lord of the Rings' was aimed at adults after the first few thousand pages, you can't exactly feel annoyed at the fact that this doesn't have the heavyweight themes and sheer scope of the first three movies. Basically, this is an adventure story. Great action scenes, likeable characters, a surprisingly successful injection of humour... What's not to like?

To be honest I was worried that the dwarf characters would just be toilet-humour Jar Jar Binks type figures. Actually I think they worked pretty well - particularly Thorin and (I think) Balin.

Not sure how they're going to squeeze out another 6 hours of movie out of this, but I'm looking forward to the rest, either way.

Saw Looper a couple days ago, really liked it for the most part. It got a little slow for me at times, and I found a little bit of it to be confusing or poorly structured, but the overall concepts and themes were really good.

Loved the scene where the guy was slowly losing body parts, has his present self was being amputated piece by piece and the present self was seeing the effects, but healed. Really freaking cool idea right there

Just watched the South Korean film Oldboy its real heavy and confronts some sensistive stuff , I started watching it out of curiousity cause it carried a warning for "live octopus induction " . Packed with violence and if you don't have a weak stomach this makes great watching and is very unpredictable and stylish .

• 3 weeks later...
Just saw the Bone Brigade doc....yikes...

why "yikes"? just out of curiousity.

Rodney Mullen is something else. He seemed to so well and soft spoken, yet to think he started World Industries is a trip (does anyone else remember their graphics circa 1997?? ) There's gotta be more to his story with his father than what was talked about. Seemed like real brainwashing or some shit.

Just saw Django Unchained and actually liked it, despite how many times the n-word was used. I know PC jerkoffs like me aren't supposed to like movies like this, but I really thought it was good.

Just saw Django Unchained and actually liked it, despite how many times the n-word was used. I know PC jerkoffs like me aren't supposed to like movies like this, but I really thought it was good.

I liked it also. The biggest thing that I noticed was that despite the fact that it runs nearly 3 hours I never once looked at my watch to see how much time before it was over. I thought Christoph Waltz was brilliant.

I liked it also. The biggest thing that I noticed was that despite the fact that it runs nearly 3 hours I never once looked at my watch to see how much time before it was over. I thought Christoph Waltz was brilliant.

exactly!! and i felt like at the end that i could have sat through it again! the last time i felt like that was when i watched Children of Men (which i now consider my favorite movie of all time), which is also pretty long. i'm not sure if Django has it to become a top 10 movie, but i did really like it.

Rodney Mullen is something else. He seemed to so well and soft spoken, yet to think he started World Industries is a trip (does anyone else remember their graphics circa 1997?? ) There's gotta be more to his story with his father than what was talked about. Seemed like real brainwashing or some shit.

I just wasn't expecting how the film ended up. I thought it was going to be more about skating and not their lives and backstory. It wasn't bad...just not what I thought it would be.

just saw both of these recently too. Rodney Mullen has so much board control... almost like OCD of tech tricks. cool to see their story from their perspective. the talk about Animal Chin is pretty funny.

I've seen Django Unchained twice. I love how Tarantino puts dialogue together and builds up suspense and tension in certain scenes. makes me wanna go back and rewatch his older stuff. Christoph is a badass... his character seems so natural.

Duane Peters was pretty yikes worthy... then again, he has always been a little weird. And about Rodney, I have probably watched almost every one of his interviews on youtube/read all about him. The guy is fascinating. I feel that he is a textbook case of a high-functioning autism or some other form of developmental disorder. I'm sad that I never got to see him skate in person, but the Rodney/Daewon videos will live on forever.

Django was one of my favorites this year. I was nervous that it would drag on and lose my attention, but it kept me engaged for the entire time, unlike Jackie Brown or Kill Bill V. 1.

Has anyone seen the first Bourne Identity? From 1988: The Bourne Identity (1988 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / The Bourne Identity (TV 1988

How the whole thing is on YouTube (at 360p resolution) is beyond me but when I have a spare 3 hours I'm going to try and sit down and watch it... Thank You to XBMC + YouTube on an Apple TV haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqmW3UusClM