General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

we saw "Jack Reacher" tonight,I liked it a lot,5 out of 5 for me,

but then I like action/thriller/crime/horror movies,

I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it, tho I enjoy the books immensely. I don't care for Cruise, but would be able to get past that if he actually fit the profile of Reacher from the books. That part will bug the hell out of me.

Watched Looper yesterday, it was better than I thought it would be even though Bruce Willis is in it.

Yeah, I really dug Looper. The scene in the diner where Bruce Willis basically just says "if we tried to make sense out of time travel we'd be here all day" and just moves the plot forward is particularly funny.

The guy who wrote and directed Looper also did Brick and The Brothers Bloom, both of which are really good. Brick is essentially an ode to/satire of film noir set in a high school, and Brothers Bloom follows a pair of conmen.

Most certainly worth watching.

we watched and very much enjoyed "Django Unchained" tonight,lots of stars,classic Quentin Tarantino (who I also like very much)I like most of his movies.

5 out of 5 for me.

Watched this recently too, great film!

I've just started checking out anime movies, I'd never seen ANY anime before so it's like uncovering a whole new genre.

Some of the ones I liked are Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle.

Watched this recently too, great film!

I've just started checking out anime movies, I'd never seen ANY anime before so it's like uncovering a whole new genre.

Some of the ones I liked are Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle.

You are speaking my language sir :).

The first one to pop into my head would be Ninja Scroll.

• 3 weeks later...
You are speaking my language sir :).

The first one to pop into my head would be Ninja Scroll.

Great call on Ninja Scroll.

Akira is of course another obvious must-watch...

Wicked City is some good messed up fun, the Patlabor movies (third one sucked though), Macross Plus miniseries...

Oh, all-time fave anime series, Cowboy Bebop. Cannot be beat.

Great call on Ninja Scroll.

Akira is of course another obvious must-watch...

Wicked City is some good messed up fun, the Patlabor movies (third one sucked though), Macross Plus miniseries...

Oh, all-time fave anime series, Cowboy Bebop. Cannot be beat.

Totally agreed on cowboy bebop. Samurai Champloo is another one of my favorites (I must have a thing for spike and mugin's voice actor).

Speaking of giant robots, neon genesis Evangelion is awesome, with a great reboot (the end of the original series left my brain feeling violated).

Yeah, I like Champloo, although it's not quuuuuiiite as good as Bebop... ;)

Believe it or not, I don't like NGE! I like the idea of it, but I just hate the characters... Well, most of them.

It's visually stunning though, can't argue that.

Saving Mr Banks. Huh... This looks good. Great cast. Hanks, Emma Thompson, Paul Giamatti, Bradley Whitfield... I'm in.

And, even though it's not strictly relevant to the plot, I hope they touch on the fact that Disney didn't allow women to be animators at his studio.

Edit: just realised it's a Disney movie... pretty sure they won't touch on their dark past, haha.

Caught Pacific Rim tonight. Analogue robot gave me a laugh, and that baseball bat of a ship was rigid as fuck... If only today's oil tankers were that tough!

Fun flick though. Nothing complex, just the good simple giant robot fun that our younger selves went nuts for.

I just saw this yesterday and it rocked my face off!!!! Such a fun movie, I thought it was exactly what it needed to be. I think anyone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, or just loves mecha/bots/good fights, would love it. Definitely worth seeing in theaters imo.

I went and saw "This is The End." It was great!!! Had some down moments but it was pretty awesome! Definitely dude humor though. And "The Purge" was bad. Ass. A must see in my opinion. Had a "the Strangers" felling but i love cheap and cheesy movies. You don't need super effects to make a good movie.