General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, go and watch Filth in the cinema. Hilarious, dark, twisted, (admittedly very British) comedy and James Mcavoy plays an awesome Scottish detective. Based on the novel by Irvine Welsh who also wrote Trainspotting so that should give you some idea of the debauchery involved. My pick of 2013 so far!

I dunno if you guys love kung fu movies, but I certainly do! Just watched Ip Man and Ip Man 2. Donnie Yen is a badass, they're based on the life of the Wing Chun master who taught Bruce Lee, and they make you feel all the feels from tears to jumping out of your chair and cheering. Both are on Netflix. Enjoy :)

I watched the first one two weekends ago and it was pretty great, so many good fight scenes. I need to watch the sequel.

Seeing the movie Gravity in IMAX 3D is an absolute must. Not only is it a great film but it is visually stunning and the soundtrack is great to boot.

sounds like it will look & sound good on BR too then !

and I saw Iron Man 3 lastnight,and it's not nearly as good IMO as the first 2.

2.5 out of 5 for me.

@Johannes Ooh, if you have time, I'd love a list of your favorite classic kung fu movies! Sadly, I haven't seen more than snippets of the older ones.

@Pleadco I truly think Jackie Chan is an excellent martial artist and actor, kind of a bummer that it gets overshadowed by a lot of the goofiness and slapstick in his movies. I also really like Jet Li, I'm told Hero is one of his best in a while.

@HaydenRose oh the pirate's life :cool: the sacrifices one makes on their kung fu (movie) journey... Did he like it? Maybe this is just from American cinema, but I feel like if a sequel is good, your luck is hard-pressed for the third one to be good.

@Graeme wasn't it amazing!!! The end fight was ***FUCKING EPIC***

Filth was great , great book too. Mcavoy is amazing in it. Would be great if the followed it up by making "Crime" into a film too.

- - - Updated - - -

Filth was great , great book too. Mcavoy is amazing in it. Would be great if the followed it up by making "Crime" into a film too.

• 1 month later...

I just saw a movie... on recommendation from Mark from the motorcycle shop next door.

Seven Psychopaths

Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and others.

First movie that made me say "what the fuck" in a long time.

I'm still processing it. :confused::rolleyes::cool::eek::):(;):o:p

Worth a look/see, I think some of you may like it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you love movies that make absolutely no fucking sense at all, watch this movie. I was lucky enough to find it in a used-VHS bin a few years ago at Book Nook in Atlanta...it was in pretty good condition given the condition of the other movies in the bin. It is one of my most treasured VHS finds.

shedder1.jpg

Trailer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSe8y6Oz14

I dunno if you guys love kung fu movies, but I certainly do! Just watched Ip Man and Ip Man 2. Donnie Yen is a badass, they're based on the life of the Wing Chun master who taught Bruce Lee, and they make you feel all the feels from tears to jumping out of your chair and cheering. Both are on Netflix. Enjoy :)

If you liked Ip Man, you will love Jet Li's Fearless and Ong Bak: Thai Warrior.

If you love movies that make absolutely no fucking sense at all, watch this movie. I was lucky enough to find it in a used-VHS bin a few years ago at Book Nook in Atlanta...it was in pretty good condition given the condition of the other movies in the bin. It is one of my most treasured VHS finds.

shedder1.jpg

Trailer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSe8y6Oz14

I aint heard anybody talk about the book nook in over a decade. Rad.

For you martial art movie nuts, you guys should check out The Man From Nowhere (South Korean martial arts film. Great knife fighting scenes), Flashpoint (Donnie Yen in a modern time setting with great MMA style fight choreo), The Raid: Redemption (Silat!) and The Raid: Berandal (when it comes out)

"

"

" Edited by Jacknife82
added trailer links