General Movie Thread

Tight-Lines

BIG TIME

here a link to a page with all 10 parts: Tom Waits- Big Time (1-10/10) - YouTube

in a Hong Kong drizzle on Cuban heels

I rowed down the gutter to the Blood Bank

and I'd left all my papers on the Ticonderoga

and was in a bad need of a shave

and so I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein

i shot billards with a midget

until the rain stopped

and I bought a long sleeved shirt

with horses on the front

and some gum and a lighter and a knife

and a new deck of cards (with girls on the back)

and I sat down and wrote a letter to my wife

• 1 month later...

well, well, well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPlX2K1vl-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yKVjpCDg1U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJgyz1rQ_k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz_DmvoI2-Q&feature=related

mississippi hill country blues

i got to see r.l. burnside in 95, amazing show. just him in a rocking chair with a guitar and his grandson drumming.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what people's favourite film of the year was (I imagine for many it is Drive) but for me it has to be the Australian 'based on a true story' feature Snowtown: Snowtown (2011) - IMDb

220px-Snowtown-poster.jpg

It's gruesome and disturbing, in a way that Australian film is very good at (Ghosts of the Civil Dead, Romper Stomper, The Proposition, Animal Kingdom, The Road etc), but is shot beautifully and has a slow pace that really pulls you in. It will have you researching the real story of the Snowtown murders which is incredibly fucked-up.

Dead Man's Shoes is wonderful. Have you seen Paddy Considine's directorial debut Tyrannosaur? I have it here but haven't seen it yet. I'm intrigued to see how he is as a director because he is an incredibly fine actor (and the short film he directed was great too).

I got round to seeing the Brit thriller Kill List yesterday. People have been raving about it but I was pretty unimpressed.

Just saw the Fincher version of 'The girl with the dragon tattoo'. Pretty good adaption, if you ask me - although I'm not sure the swedish original really needed to be re-made. A fair bit has been made in reviews about the differences between the two movies ... IMO the similarities far outweigh the differences.

Very visually slick and I liked the opening credits - very Bondesque and the Trent Rezner (sp?) version of 'Immigrant song' is awesome.

Just saw the Fincher version of 'The girl with the dragon tattoo'. Pretty good adaption, if you ask me - although I'm not sure the swedish original really needed to be re-made. A fair bit has been made in reviews about the differences between the two movies ... IMO the similarities far outweigh the differences.

Very visually slick and I liked the opening credits - very Bondesque and the Trent Rezner (sp?) version of 'Immigrant song' is awesome.

Can't wait to watch the Swedish ones, especially since I just saw they're on Netflix streaming here. Saw the new version, it was pretty decent, and I was into the story.. I guess I should read these books already since my shelves are lined with a ton of mystery/crime novels to begin with.

*ALSO, the Trent Reznor/Karen O Immigrant Song collabo in that one trailer kinda sold me on seeing the movie.

Perhaps this is my film snobbishness rearing it's head, and really, it's more about clarification than anything so forgive my nitpicking...

but I have to throw out there that it's not a remake of the Swedish version; it's an American adaptation of a book that happened to be made as a film in Sweden. Did it 'need' to be made? Maybe, maybe not. But the film is it's own entity. One could argue that the Swedish movie didn't need to be made, that the book on it's own is enough. Fincher is a talented dude, and putting his lens (pun intended) on the source material was great. The book still exists, as does the Swedish version, for folks who love them.

(I just got into an extended argument about the Fincher version at work, and I'm still all fired up! :D

Fair point, I guess it is a slightly different situation than Hollywood re-making the likes of 'Rec' and similar, in that, as you say, there's the novel as source material. You could say the same thing about 'Let the right one in' (although I'm not sure that without the Swedish-language movie having been a success, in that case, an english-language movie would have followed, given that the book was relatively unknown unlike the Millenium books).

I am a little leery of the constant stream of reboots, remakes and adaptations that we're fed - smacks of a lack of imagination / conservatism. The nadir, for me, was 'The Dukes of Hazard', 'The Mechanic' etc. Although I guess it can be done well too - 'Miami Vice' by Mann, although that seems to be a love/hate movie in the reactions it illicits amongst my friends.

I gather a Hollywood re-make of Cell 211 is in the works - it's worth seeing the original prior to that, very good stuff.

Cell 211 was a wonderful little prison movie.

I agree that a lot of these 're-adaptations' need to be considered film projects that go back to the original source material, rather than remakes, but they don't exist in a vacuum and are influenced in so many ways. And as Rory said, are unlikely to have been made if it hadn't been for the original adaptations.

I have gone off Fincher quite a bit, largely because I think he can be style over substance, but Zodiac was a decent yarn.

Perhaps this is my film snobbishness rearing it's head, and really, it's more about clarification than anything so forgive my nitpicking...

but I have to throw out there that it's not a remake of the Swedish version; it's an American adaptation of a book that happened to be made as a film in Sweden. Did it 'need' to be made? Maybe, maybe not. But the film is it's own entity. One could argue that the Swedish movie didn't need to be made, that the book on it's own is enough. Fincher is a talented dude, and putting his lens (pun intended) on the source material was great. The book still exists, as does the Swedish version, for folks who love them.

(I just got into an extended argument about the Fincher version at work, and I'm still all fired up! :D

I saw the US version last week and watched the original last night on netflix. The original was better in my opinion. It had a better flow and it didn't leave any gaps in the story.