Quitting cigarettes

CaptCanada

To start off I must say that I don't enjoy smoking but I don't dislike it either, it's always just been something to do to pass the time. So, I've smoking for the past 5 years and from day one was at a pack a day. Within those five years Ive taken a few breaks, longest one was 3 months, but I would always get bored and start again. Never really got cravings for cigarettes, just bored. But recently if I don't smoke for a day I get exhausted, as in falling a sleep while standing.

So has anyone on here that smoked before and quit have any tips about the fatige that comes with it. I know they are a stimulent, and that's why I'm getting tired, but this is to much. I figure it's better to stop sooner then later, cause at some point these things are going to do a number on my body.

PAINT FLASH!! i havent smoked in 6months and i still want to smoke every day.paint! i paint before work,at work before appointments,in between appointments and when i have nothing going on.its hard not smoking,i really enjoy it.now if i could motivate myself to exercise instead of eatting and get rid of this extra 25 pounds i put on....dont eat! lol.anyway,paint flash.

Chewing tabbaco isn't sold here, plus that's one vice for another. Wish all of lives problems could be solved with the answer of "paint flash" but I'm no artist, I'm a bartender by trade. I draw all the time though but on little 3"x2" notes, helps some of the time.

And for running, really wish I could start but with at least 13 hours of work 6 days a week with an hour commute (total) I just think about sleep when I get home.

I know a few people who have completely switched to electronic cigarettes. Probably not great for you but much better than the real thing. I'm thinking about trying them out myself. The nicotine gum worked well for me a couple times, managed to stop for a couple months here or there.

I found cutting down McDonald's straws or dunkin donut straws to cig's length and chewing them helped.. or chewing gum. that actually got me smoke free for 4 months before the stress of work got to me again.. Just something about kids that get to me.

I've also found books, video games and the drawing keeps me entertained and my amount of time going out for a smoke is greatly reduced at home compared to time at work and the fire house.

I recently quit smoking, and I know the drain you're speaking of. Good replacements were caffeine, any type of brisk excerise (jumping jacks, brisk walking, jumping in place, push ups, anything quick but fast) and surprisingly, fresh fruit (maybe the sugars?). These help to perk me up a bit. After a while my body readjusted to not having the stimulants, but it took a good month or so.

I recently quit smoking, and I know the drain you're speaking of. Good replacements were caffeine, any type of brisk excerise (jumping jacks, brisk walking, jumping in place, push ups, anything quick but fast) and surprisingly, fresh fruit (maybe the sugars?). These help to perk me up a bit. After a while my body readjusted to not having the stimulants, but it took a good month or so.

Think of it this way, the drag comes from the lack of carbon..

To start our body's breathing cycle starts when we (our body) sense's that we've taken in enough carbon and now we exhale to exchange for oxygen, so when we stop smoking because we are no longer breathing faster due to the amounts of carbon in our system we breath slower, which causes our body to be confused and feel drowsy. When you get your pulse taken at the hospital they can also take whats called your sp02 (pulse-ox) which actually measures the amount of CO in your blood stream. If you can next time you go for a physical get them to measure it, see what it is while your still smoking, and then see what it is after you quit. Its pretty cool to see the changes that occur. (or for extream results, get it measured, step out side and smoke one real quick then get it measured again) ....This is what happens when a Medic and an EMT get super bored....

We did a whole study on it one night. granted my lingo might be slightly off and I will be sure to correct it saturday night when we work together again.

• 9 months later...