After Care Question (wont let me post there)

Benzillatats

Hi everyone my name is Ben. It wont let me post this question to the AFter Care section. So I'm posting it to the only place it will let me post it, the initiation thread. I just have an aftercare question and would REALLY appreciate some insights from the experts on this forum. So here goes ...

Ok, so let me start by saying, I am incredibly sorry that I did this. I did not mean to spread my germs to others. I got a tattoo exactly one week ago and it was mostly done healing (a few small scabs and peeling). So, my artist didn't tell me not to go swimming. I guess she just thought I knew. SO I went swimming laps at the YMCA indoor public pool. After I got out, a guy saw my new tattoo and mentioned to me that I shouldn't be swimming with that cos it could cause infection. So, I googled it. And found a lot of horrifying stuff. I also had a small open scab that I had accidentally scratched the night before. I immediately went home and washed everything with antibacterial soap. I put H2Ocean on the tattoo and Bacitracin on the open scab. So now I'm wondering, am I like, totally screwed? I'm all worried about flesh eating bacteria and infection. The open scab is still really itchy, but doesn't look infected at all. Any advice on how to handle this, other than NEVER doing this again would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am very apologetic for spreading my germs. The thought never occured to me to not do this and now that I know, I NEVER will do anything like this again. Thanks! 

Edited by Benzillatats

I believe the concern about swimming with a new tattoo is not about spreading diseases or germs to other people as it is about what it could do to your new tattoo.

From what I understand, It is generally advisable to avoid baths, overly long showers or swimming to prevent the tattoo from becoming soaked and to protect it from bacteria and what-not from infecting the new tattoo since it is essentially an open wound. Strong chemicals and chlorine in the water can also irritate the new tattoo and interfere with the healing process.

Other than avoiding the pool until your new tattoo is completely healed, you may want to monitor it for any signs of infection. Elsewise, just wait for it to heal.

So, now my whole arm hurts. They started me on antibiotics. But im SO worried about it. I keep getting muscle and bone soreness in only the arm with the tattoo. It's been 2 weeks since I got it and one week since I swam. I'm so worried that I have an infection in my muscles and bones. Does any one know when I'm basically clear for infection? Like would it have presented in a week or less? Or can it show up 2 weeks later?

20191020_123313.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, Benzillatats said:

So, now my whole arm hurts. They started me on antibiotics. But im SO worried about it. I keep getting muscle and bone soreness in only the arm with the tattoo. It's been 2 weeks since I got it and one week since I swam. I'm so worried that I have an infection in my muscles and bones. Does any one know when I'm basically clear for infection? Like would it have presented in a week or less? Or can it show up 2 weeks later?

20191020_123313.jpg

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere but is the first tattoo you’ve gotten? Swimming is a big no, no during healing but I think you’ve thoroughly learned that lesson so I won’t dwell on that lol Also, staying out of the sun is another but I digress. If you have antibiotics then I’m assuming  you’ve seen a physician as they’re not OTC unless you’re in another country I’m unaware of. You also may also contact the artist but I would bet they’ll say call your doctor so at this point all you can do is take your meds which depending on type may take some time to work. Keep an eye out for infection, follow the advice given, and seek emergency care if you run a really fever especially.  If you choose to get another tattoo make sure you follow the advice. It’s there for a reason ya know? They want the work to turn out well and for their clients to be safe. If you truly believe you have some muscle or bone infection that’s another one for the doc but the tattoo in the pics doesn’t seem look red, ozzy, or anything but a try tattoo which is a normal part of healing. I know this is late but I hope things are much better a week or so out and you’re arm is feeling back to normal!  Would love an update if you like sharing 

On 11/4/2019 at 2:49 AM, Toilandtrouble said:

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere but is the first tattoo you’ve gotten? Swimming is a big no, no during healing but I think you’ve thoroughly learned that lesson so I won’t dwell on that lol Also, staying out of the sun is another but I digress. If you have antibiotics then I’m assuming  you’ve seen a physician as they’re not OTC unless you’re in another country I’m unaware of. You also may also contact the artist but I would bet they’ll say call your doctor so at this point all you can do is take your meds which depending on type may take some time to work. Keep an eye out for infection, follow the advice given, and seek emergency care if you run a really fever especially.  If you choose to get another tattoo make sure you follow the advice. It’s there for a reason ya know? They want the work to turn out well and for their clients to be safe. If you truly believe you have some muscle or bone infection that’s another one for the doc but the tattoo in the pics doesn’t seem look red, ozzy, or anything but a try tattoo which is a normal part of healing. I know this is late but I hope things are much better a week or so out and you’re arm is feeling back to normal!  Would love an update if you like sharing 

Well, it's fine I guess. I'm done with the antibiotics. My arm is still really sore. And, 4 weeks later, my tattoo still looks scaly. Which is unusual. This isn't my first tattoo, I have sleeves. But it had been 2 years since my last tattoo and I NEVER go swimming. I wanted to try a new workout and forgot I wasn't supposed to swim. After 10 minutes in the pool, I realized what I had done and jumped out and cleaned it. I'm a little worried that it looks so scaly after 4 weeks. From what I remember, 4 weeks is normally when my tattoo is completely healed. 

Also Im having muscle pain in my arm that I got the tattoo on. Idk why my msucles would be hurting so much. 

20191102_165957.jpg

20191103_134336.jpg

Edited by Benzillatats

• 4 months later...

Hello, same is the case with me... i got a new tattoo and went in to the pool right after 1 hour of getting my tattoo... ive heard casually before that you cant swim and shit but i asked the artist and he clearly said no problem, dont worry. But later when my friends found out .. they were quite worried and had me worried too... its 7 days old now ... looks fine to me ... all the routine scabbing and occasional itch. But i would really like a suggestion, should i do something about it ... and yesterday my elbow muscles started hurting... my tattoo is on my FOREARM ... it all just connected and im shit scarred right now .. if anyone has any suggestions please.. and very politely NOW I KNOW SWIMMING IS A NO NO!!! please i dont need to know that any further ... just a suggestion what to do NOW. thanks in advance