I'm pushing 60 and got back into tattoos in 2005. My last one prior to that was in 1982. I've had all my old work redone or covered up. Now everything will be new work only with some touch up of old work.

Tattoos get beat up in time, so I'm glad I've gone this way with what I'm doing. Plans for 2015 is to have my left arm sleeve DONE and upper right arm completely done as well. The forearm can wait until the fall or go into 2016.

Too fast? ...tattooing isn't a race

Going too fast is when you have a bunch of tattoos lined but none are actually finish. I'm surprised how many people I see and know that don't finish what they start (and not just in tattoos, but in the ins and outs of life). If your arm is only lined in, why are you getting hand and neck tattoos? The ADD generation of tattooing.

Focus, commit and get the project done. Take your time to enjoy the experiences and the tattoos. Enjoy watching the tattoos heal and age. But most importantly take the time to enjoy the other things in life aside from tattooing. Balance.

I'll pass on the 'too fast' and stick with the tried and true method of the tortoise, 'slow n steady'. That's how I achieved my coverage over a dozen years thus far, the way I've made my pictures and my stories. I like what was said before about "the journey" and about "the larger experience". cheers :)

I've been worried about this stuff recently since I'm 20 and booking in for tattoo number 6..

I like the idea of getting things patchwork, everything's been spread out thus far, but I can't shake the feeling that it will amount to nothing if I blast though and have it all patched together within a couple of years. Opportunities to get work from guest artists definitely sabotage the slow and steady plans.

• 3 weeks later...

Whether or not something is too fast is only determined by what the person is comfortable with. I have gotten my first seven tattoos in four months and have two more planned for the next two months. I find myself focusing on the empty space so much that I've got to at least plan for the next tattoos, if not get them. I do plan to slow down soon so that like others have said, I can stretch the tattooing experience out over more years. I also am not ready for tattoos that cannot be easily covered yet.

Personally I like to plan a cooling off period between tattoos....like a year. It ensures I am set on my designs/placements and don't make decisions when adrenaline is in my system ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought I was taking a break, but then a guy I really admire came to town. He had an open spot and I got another tattoo. Now that tattoo has started a themed collection, so I'm trying to plan the next one.

Honestly, I've thought about some of these tattoos since I was a teenager. I just didn't get them for twenty-five years.

• 3 months later...

I'm already planing my second sleeve, though I think I'll be waiting for close to a year after this one is done to begin it. I'd also love to get a back piece now too as well as getting my knee caps done. Yes I am going for good coverage fairly quickly but I'm 43 and have made up my mind that this is the journey for me. I'd go quicker but hubby's back is hogging up the extra money ;)

• 1 month later...
I'm pushing 60 and got back into tattoos in 2005. My last one prior to that was in 1982. I've had all my old work redone or covered up. Now everything will be new work only with some touch up of old work.

Tattoos get beat up in time, so I'm glad I've gone this way with what I'm doing. Plans for 2015 is to have my left arm sleeve DONE and upper right arm completely done as well. The forearm can wait until the fall or go into 2016.

Personally, I think it's kind of cool to have older tattoos that are "beat up." They age with you, and each one has a story. I considered having my first tattoo redone because it has faded a fair amount, but I could never do it. It's a memorial tattoo for my older brother. I got it shortly after he passed away, and it still comforts me when I look at it. Having someone freshen it up would be weird to me, I guess.

• 1 month later...

It's only too big if YOU think it's too big. If you've been waiting for this and wanting this don't let anyone talk you out of it. They are probably envious that they don't have the kind of courage to go after what you want!

I have heard the views of the people believe that the first tattoo should be small. They explained this by saying that you must first get used to the feeling that you must first'm sure after a small tattoo that you like, etc.

I don't agree with this. Small or big tattoo - it should be a serious decision. All the same damn it is drawing on your body that you have one.Therefore, there are no criteria too much too little too colorful for your first tattoo experience in tattooing. do what you like on such a scale you decided. :) it's not to fast to want a big tattoo )

@Margarita Yaschenko

It works different for everybody I suppose. I always tell people looking for their first tattoo to not put it in a place where it will be visible for you (and others) all the time. Size is a different matter, I think about palm or hand sized is good for a first. But I have also seen people get their a whole sleeve or even back as a first tattoo, and make great choices on that both with artist and motif.

I think it's hard to make rules like this but the reason I advice people to not get their first tattoo on the lower arm (as many who has asked me about it tend to gravitate towards) is only because over time, and after getting more tattoos, most people go through a development when it comes to taste, understanding and appriciation of tattoos. I know I did, and still do, change my opinions and I got my first tattoo in 2009. If you put your first idea on your lower arm, chances are it will not look so cool to you in a few years and you'd wish you still had that spot open for something that you learned to enjoy over time.

(Always exceptions of course, some people make great choices from the get go but these are in minority by far if you ask me. Not to say everybodys first tattoo(s) always sucks, but most people evolve in their taste to a great extent in the first 3 years, and would thank themself to leave the "prime estate" open for the future)

Tattoo snob and ink fundamentalist preacher signing off for today,

Peace

I agree with you about place of tattoo. Selected open spaces or hands or even face - it's bad for the first tattoo.

But not size.

You told that people can regret about first big tattoo in future because thei will not like the quality of tattoos or will not like the choice of picture. But! Maybe I'm naive tattoosrtist but i think that people must choice a picture for tattoo and tattooartist very seriuosly before first or not first tattoo. And if the choice of the person to be really serious as the choice of the master he will not regret the tattoo later out-dependence of the choice of the size of the tattoo.

In addition, for some reason, if a person is going to do a little tattoo it less serious approach to the selection of the master and often gets ugly result. Large size also contributes to the fact that the man carefully chooses what he do and for whom. it's just an observation but it still takes place.

For what it's worth, I wish I'd gone larger for my first one, and it goes from my shoulder to nearly my elbow on the outside of my arm. I put a lot of effort into finding the right artist and the right idea for that one (it's a Necronomicon done by Seth Wood) and I love the result but if I'd known that I was going to end up pretty much covered anyway I would have given him my whole arm. It's cool though, tattoos are a learning process and I've managed to get some great tattoos by equally great people around that one.

To start off as of right now I have no tattoos. I have been trying to get a tattoo for awhile but money or other issues have cropped up. Two weeks ago I got in touch with an artist and signed up for a leg piece. (starting at the foot to the knee filled in completely. My friends said that was "too much for a first", but the funny thing is I am already looking at getting another huge piece started by a favorite artist, and the possibility of sleeve by the same guy by next year. Although the sleeve is a bigger step since I work in a VERY Conservative field (Wall St) and will need to think more about that.

Am I going way to fast? I personally don't believe so

Yes I understand this post is years old.

I have to admit, I too started to think maybe I am going to fast. I got my first tattoo last year and it seems like all I do now is think about my next one. Since my first I have gotten 7 tattoos from 4 different artists.

I also have 2 tattoos coming up in October, one of which is the start of a half-sleeve.

Personally, I may be doing too much too soon. But since I waited until I was 31 to get my first tattoo, I don't think it's too crazy. Had I started getting tattoos when I wanted them at 17 or 18, I would probably be filled with a lot of garbage and spending tons of money on Laser removal.

Glad I waiting to get filled up. I am wayyy more educated on good artists as oppose to letting a "friend in his kitchen" do it. The support of the people on LST have pointed me to so many GREAT paths. When people respond to the PMs, I look at it as "Hey I got your back". So grateful to everyone for that.

The only thing I lack is the knowledge of Japanese style and what goes together and what doesn't If anyone knows of a book that can break it down to me, give me a shout.

Yes I understand this post is years old.

I have to admit, I too started to think maybe I am going to fast. I got my first tattoo last year and it seems like all I do now is think about my next one. Since my first I have gotten 7 tattoos from 4 different artists.

I also have 2 tattoos coming up in October, one of which is the start of a half-sleeve.

Personally, I may be doing too much too soon. But since I waited until I was 31 to get my first tattoo, I don't think it's too crazy. Had I started getting tattoos when I wanted them at 17 or 18, I would probably be filled with a lot of garbage and spending tons of money on Laser removal.

Glad I waiting to get filled up. I am wayyy more educated on good artists as oppose to letting a "friend in his kitchen" do it. The support of the people on LST have pointed me to so many GREAT paths. When people respond to the PMs, I look at it as "Hey I got your back". So grateful to everyone for that.

The only thing I lack is the knowledge of Japanese style and what goes together and what doesn't If anyone knows of a book that can break it down to me, give me a shout.

Man you quoted one of my first posts here! (Just to follow up, I took the advice of everyone here and got tattooed a ton!)

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my lingering thoughts about if I'm going "too fast." I took about 4 years between my first and second tattoo for no particular reason, started a leg sleeve type thing, waited almost another year for no particular reason, and now I'm on track for one every 2-3 months. It's been almost exactly two months since my last and I'm going in for a consult on my next one this week. Really, it averages out to about one tattoo a year since turning 18, which is totally reasonable. :D

I'm not really sure what's influencing me to think this is too fast. If I look at the amount of coverage I have, it's really not a lot and I still have tons of space. And most of my tattoos have been fairly cheap one shots done by local guys only 2 hours away, at the most, so it's not like I'm going to Paris and getting a backpiece by some world renowned artist. I guess I just keep thinking "Some day I'm going to get something and hate it and then hate myself for doing that." Just my anxiety talking, I guess. I feel like the more I get, the more I'm hurtling towards that inevitable day I screw up. I'm trying to enjoy the process and not compare myself to other people so much.

I've had my lingering thoughts about if I'm going "too fast." I took about 4 years between my first and second tattoo for no particular reason, started a leg sleeve type thing, waited almost another year for no particular reason, and now I'm on track for one every 2-3 months. It's been almost exactly two months since my last and I'm going in for a consult on my next one this week. Really, it averages out to about one tattoo a year since turning 18, which is totally reasonable. :D

I'm not really sure what's influencing me to think this is too fast. If I look at the amount of coverage I have, it's really not a lot and I still have tons of space. And most of my tattoos have been fairly cheap one shots done by local guys only 2 hours away, at the most, so it's not like I'm going to Paris and getting a backpiece by some world renowned artist. I guess I just keep thinking "Some day I'm going to get something and hate it and then hate myself for doing that." Just my anxiety talking, I guess. I feel like the more I get, the more I'm hurtling towards that inevitable day I screw up. I'm trying to enjoy the process and not compare myself to other people so much.

I would think that if you are getting tattooed fairly regularly your understanding of what makes a good tattoo should be improving. If you like what you have been collecting keep it up. If you run out of ideas look at classic flash, does it inspire you? If so, keep going, if not take a break. Lots of skin, lots of time, but if you have a bunch of great ideas, things that have been on your wish list for long enough to know you want them, get 'em done. Now is as good a time as any!

I suppose it's different for everyone. I had a two year period where I blasted through a lot of tattooing. I did wonder if I was going too fast. In the last year I've slowed as other events have taken over from tattooing, but I have to say I am stoked by my tattoos. I love them and never have any serious second thoughts (there are a couple that could use some tweaking) about regrets. After a quiet year, I am looking forward to getting back on the table (or chair or whatever) in the next few months. I've got a back piece that really needs some attention. Warp speed 7, Mr. Worf.