waiting for @peterpoose to chime in here. This guy is mental, 16 hour sessions every day or two. He must have gone from no tattoos to 60% coverage in less than a year? Correct me if I'm wrong Peter. All his work is by top artists as well. I just want to meet this guy to shake his hand.

Thanks Amok :)

Yeah I had my first tattoo beginning of 2012.

To the OP, as above bigger is better in my opinion. Go as fast as you want but make sure you get great artists and designs you will love forever. I will probably be 80% covered by end of next year and I will save my other sleeve for awhile as I really want to see whats about in a few years :)

Nothing more annoying than running out of room, so I would say don't go as mad as I did as you will learn stuff as you go which will help you decide your next tattoos, plus you will have many years to fill your body if you plan :)

I think I went fast because of my age (41) :)

Good luck mate :)

@peterpoose

When I was reading your post I thought to myself that I would NEVER go as fast as you do. I've been rushing quite a bit since last year too, but I am probably at about 35% coverage right now. And now I am definitely slowing down. I want to stretch out my tattooing experience. The process of thinking about subjects and styles, finding new tattooers and developing my taste, setting up appointments, meeting new people, waiting and then finally getting a tattoo: that's nice to me. I find that I enjoy it less if I get tattooed to often. Don't want to rush it.

But then at the end you did write that you are 41 years old, that kind of changes it completely. So I say, go for it!

Legitimately 16 hours? Kudos to you, if so. How awful do you feel at the end of that?

Longest was 19 hours on ribs, I felt fine. Carlos tapped out before me to be honest, I could have gone longer quite easily. Were all different and for me thighs is weak spot it seems 7 hours and then it starts to kill me :)

- - - Updated - - -

@peterpoose

When I was reading your post I thought to myself that I would NEVER go as fast as you do. I've been rushing quite a bit since last year too, but I am probably at about 35% coverage right now. And now I am definitely slowing down. I want to stretch out my tattooing experience. The process of thinking about subjects and styles, finding new tattooers and developing my taste, setting up appointments, meeting new people, waiting and then finally getting a tattoo: that's nice to me. I find that I enjoy it less if I get tattooed to often. Don't want to rush it.

But then at the end you did write that you are 41 years old, that kind of changes it completely. So I say, go for it!

Yes I enjoy the travelling, the meeting new people as much as the actual tattooing. I am also going to try and slow down after next year lol I also want to extend my tattooing experience :)

Yeah I am 41, so I guess I would like to have some tattoos while I am still relatively young but yeah I have gone very fast and spent a lot of money in a short space of time, probably close to £50,000 on tattoos since 2012. My Mrs wants me to slow down also lol

Hell, I'd love to go that fast @peterpoose . You've got five years on me but I feel the need to crack on so that I actually get a chance to see stuff age properly. Just at the beginning of my first sleeve now and have plans a plenty for the rest of me. Budget and childcare will conspire to keep things much slower than I'd like, I fear.

And perhaps most notably: some of the stuff that I _absolutely_ wanted to get 2 years ago, I am really happy I didn't get. Not that it would be really bad tattoos, they would probably be good, but more so that now I know better, and don't want to waste the space with anything less than optimal. Also goes for changing my taste and finding artists that I like better. For example I have this idea for a lady head and at first I was so sure I wanted to have Sarah Carter do it, but now probably two years has passed since I first got the idea and about 10 tattooers have been considered, and I am still not sure haha

And perhaps most notably: some of the stuff that I _absolutely_ wanted to get 2 years ago, I am really happy I didn't get. Not that it would be really bad tattoos, they would probably be good, but more so that now I know better, and don't want to waste the space with anything less than optimal. Also goes for changing my taste and finding artists that I like better. For example I have this idea for a lady head and at first I was so sure I wanted to have Sarah Carter do it, but now probably two years has passed since I first got the idea and about 10 tattooers have been considered, and I am still not sure haha

yeah I agree, I am finding loads more artists work that I love now and have started thinking more about the space I have left. I have also started to love Emily Roses work https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emily-Rose/131863226850906?fref=ts which I am not sure if its classed as new traditional or? But I love it and has me thinking about getting something along those lines which I doubt I would have thought about before. Not sure it will go with what I have on the rest of me though :)

yeah I agree, I am finding loads more artists work that I love now and have started thinking more about the space I have left. I have also started to love Emily Roses work https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emily-Rose/131863226850906?fref=ts which I am not sure if its classed as new traditional or? But I love it and has me thinking about getting something along those lines which I doubt I would have thought about before. Not sure it will go with what I have on the rest of me though :)

I wouldn't say her stuff is wholly traditional, but definitely bold. I say get something from her, but that's just because I think we all want you to come to the dark side... or the force, I'm not sure which is which in this case :)

See, I'd really very much like to get all my tattoos from one artist if all possible. But I'm more than aware that life does often have other plans, maybe he'll whisk himself away to some place I can't access before I'm done, who knows. In any case I'd like work from as few artists as I can manage, I'm certain of that. THe thing is, the more random threads I read on here the more I get the impression that's that not 'normal' - with the exclusion of proper Japanese (based / inspired) body suits .

Might I be going horribly wrong?

See' date=' I'd really very much like to get all my tattoos from one artist if all possible. But I'm more than aware that life does often have other plans, maybe he'll whisk himself away to some place I can't access before I'm done, who knows. In any case I'd like work from as few artists as I can manage, I'm certain of that. THe thing is, the more random threads I read on here the more I get the impression that's that not 'normal' - with the exclusion of proper Japanese (based / inspired) body suits . Might I be going horribly wrong?[/quote']

I think it's up to you entirely!

What's your motivation for sticking with one to a few artists?

Just 'cause threads make it appear 'normal' doesn't necessarily mean it's the right solution for you.

That said: it is fun and cool to meet new people and new tattoo artists! Which could be done still getting tattoos from just one - haha, so ya see what I mean? I don't think it matters.

I read somewhere on the forum that Bill Salmon once said you should get tattooed by as many people as you can - there is more to the quotation but I cannot remember and I'm on my phone at the moment, I'll see if I can dig it up later.

At the moment, how tattooed do you see yourself in the future? I know my coverage goals have changed drastically over the years (to more and more tattoos...) that might affect how many people you end up tattooed by. Or not, as in the case of the full body suits you mentioned earlier.

Wow, I couldn't really come down on either side of that one. Hah!

Thanks for that @beez

I'm after almost but not quite full coverage IYSWIM. Pretty much as per the pictures of circus girls I've posted here ad nauseum, so, 3/4 sleeves, full legs + feet, pretty much full torso, nowt above low-ish chest piece / full back piece height - can't see me upping how much coverage I fancy from that, but who knows!

What I really, really like about whole bodies done by one artist is the stylistic cohesion and flow it that gives. TBH it's something I'd love to see more of in modern, traditional, western tattooing. Maybe if I were a more visually articulate person I'd be happy to see a whole host of artists, give a lot of direction on style and content and be confident in having a hand in the cohesive look I love. I don't know. But, much as I appreciate beauty and art in all it's forms I'm not capable of being visually creative. At all. Turning up with 50% too much material for the body part in hand and saying "I trust you, you choose" works for me, so far. So, yeah, on several fronts one/limited artist(s) just feels like the right way to go for me. But then I worry about not being 'normal'! Like I ever have been!

Meeting new people is A Good Thing, definitely. I'd be most interested to hear the full version of the quote you mention!

- - Updated - -

I think I'm scared of (gross) variations in the quality and style of the work as well.

- - Updated - -

Please note - as I type I have 1/2 of my first tattoo and it's only slightly bigger than my hand - I know nothing.

@HettyKet if you continue to see good tattoo artists, they will help your tattoos appear cohesive in the long run! I have found that when I leave it to a good tattoo artist, suddenly everything fits the way it's supposed to. Part of that is that I am not a visual artist, in the sense that I don't understand how it all layers together, and it doesn't even occur to me how something might link together, visually and stylistically. Tattoo artists do know, however, and they'll make it work! So trust your one - or many - tattoo artists ;p.

I think I also read somewhere in the forum that Daniel Higgs said that basically all your tattoos go together, because they're there? That is a butchering, a bastardization of that quotation, and may actually just be what I interpreted it to mean. Grr, I'm gonna find these and put 'em in one document somewhere!

There is certainly something to be said for the full body pieces being done by one artist. I think that their visual impact speaks to this, powerfully.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say on this topic!

@HettyKet

I do understand your idea of wanting your tattoos to have some kind of unified "look". But from my point of view that is going to happen naturally, as @beez pointed out: most professional tattooers will try to make sure your new tattoo resonates with what you all ready have. And also, since it is dictated by YOUR taste, just take your time and research your artists and you will get tattoos that match up. Maybe not in everybody's eyes, but in your eyes.

Also I think you should not limit yourself too much (remember: this is coming from someone who has 30+ tattoos, the vast majority in somewhat traditional style black n gray). For me tattoos is (among other things) a hobby, I had to explain this to my father recently. Throughout the journey of getting tattoos I often find myself evaluating and re-evaluating aesthetic preferences, mine as well as others.

Example time: I had never cared for japanese style tattoos, at first I really disliked them (product of too many badly executed koi fishes and shabby dragons). But about two years after my first tattoo, by the help of looking at tattoos every day, I was starting to appreciate the technical side of japanese tattoos. Composition, color use, detail, good design. But I still didn't cared for the subject matter, I just didn't like it. Fast forward to january this year -> I get a tattoo of Judas wearing a devils mask. My artists, Iain Mullen, makes it resemble a hanya mask. Hmmm…. Fast forward again, about 6 weeks ago: I get my first proper japanese tattoo (!) a namakubi with samurai sword. And today? I realized that the smoke on my left upper arm (done about two years ago) has a distinct japanese flavor to it, despite being dot shaded.

Sentiment, to ponder or disregard: to set out with one distinct style in mind and think that you are going to keep being as into it, and ONLY it, for the rest of your tattoo journey, is letting your present self dictate what your future self should do. Be flexible instead, don't let your own dogmas get in the way of passion.

edit: spelling, this and that

I have total confidence in the artists I visit and I think that is very important. I usually now just say do what you want and I trust i will get some piece of art that's beautiful. The first few I had I did bring lots of pics etc and although they are executed beautifully and I love them, they are and wont be original as others will copy from the same pictures I took from the internet which they are entitled to do as its on the internet. I have learned this to a certain degree but I guess all art has some sort of inspiration from other art.

I the same as mmikaoj really didn't like traditional or Japanese, as I grew up with the proper council estate shite tattoos you laugh at on the web. I know also am starting to love some traditional and some stuff by Horitada etc and now having seen and love them and appreciate them more I would if I wasn't covered happily wear something like that, where as before I wouldn't of ever thought it :) Things change :)

So I guess for me is most important to get top notch artists. I don't think it matters if you stay with one or get loads from different artists. If they are all top notch they will fit your pieces in. Personally I enjoy the travelling and meeting new people, so for me its an easy option to get art from more artists, rather than just one :)

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Resurrecting this thread.

I've been told a couple of times by friends and a tattooer that I respect that I may be going too fast. I've thought about slowing down. But for what?

I've also had a tattooer tell me to get tattooed while I'm young, because they hurt more when you're older. I've also had a tattooer tell me to just get them whenever I feel like it and have the resources to do so. I kind of want to finish ASAP so I can move on to Ross Hogg status and just buy prints because of the lack of real estate left.

I've also had a good talk with Kimmy Beeeeee about slowing down, that way all my tattoos aren't from the same "era", so to speak. As time goes on, I'm sure my taste in tattoos will change.

Thoughts?

I've been told a couple of times by friends and a tattooer that I respect that I may be going too fast. I've thought about slowing down. But for what?

I've also had a tattooer tell me to get tattooed while I'm young, because they hurt more when you're older. I've also had a tattooer tell me to just get them whenever I feel like it and have the resources to do so. I kind of want to finish ASAP so I can move on to Ross Hogg status and just buy prints because of the lack of real estate left.

I've also had a good talk with Kimmy Beeeeee about slowing down, that way all my tattoos aren't from the same "era", so to speak. As time goes on, I'm sure my taste in tattoos will change.

Thoughts?

I've thought about this quite a bit, as another LST'er who gets a lot of work done. I'm 43 and not getting any younger. I used to worry about this more, but as time goes by and my legs fill in, I'm confident that I'm being true to myself and I am getting tattoos because I really want them. I'm committed to the look at this point lol, but at the same time, despite significant coverage, I can cover up pretty easily (sleeves, squisdpants, chest piece, legs) and nobody is the wiser. The biggest worry for me is that my taste will change, but I have tattoos that go back 25 years, and they are a different style, and I don't regret them at all. My biggest regret will likely be that I've run out of space. As long as no one is pressuring someone else to get tattooed, then its all good.

Funny that you chose to resurrect this, because what I just posted in the post-tattoo blues thread probably belongs here. I don't think I'm getting tattooed at a particularly fast rate relative to a bunch of folks here, but that's not a realistic comparison for me to make. Like, I've enjoyed pushing past my comfort zone, but I can probably be a little more laid-back about it - my skin isn't going anywhere. Getting travel tattoos has been a lot of fun, but feeling spooked at how fast they've filled up space is probably a sign that I should put a little more planning into my next couple.

Dealing with a bounty of contradictory advice from well-informed people can be way harder than tuning out all of the bad advice out there.

Thoughts?

I wonder about this myself, and it's been more present as a question since I've been working on my back. There's something about getting such a huge area of my body tattooed in a relatively short period of time that makes running out of space seem like a very real possibility. I still have a lot of space left, and I've found that I find more and more gaps on the spaces I previously thought were filled, but I need to be thoughtful about what I do get and not just get tattooed for the sake of getting tattooed.

That said, I'm finding that more and more for me that getting tattooed is only partially about the tattoos. I want to get stuff that looks great, that's going to age well, that has that intangible quality that gets me super excited, but it's also about a larger experience. I think when you say, @CABS, that you're sure that your taste in tattoos will change, I completely agree, but not just in terms of aesthetics. My tastes have changed somewhat since I started getting tattooed, and part of that is understanding that I can appreciate some tattoos and kinds of tattoos without necessarily wanting it on me, but I also want different things out of tattoos now than I did when I started. I feel really fortunate about how much getting tattooed has enriched my life: not only do I have some really beautiful tattoos, but I've also met some really great people, made friends, traveled, heard stories, learned about art, and so many other things, and that experience is as much a part of it as the physical tattoo is. A large part of that comes through getting tattooed pretty regularly and filling up those empty spaces.

I don't think there is any single right or wrong way to get tattooed, and everybody wants something different from tattoos.

timely discussion i think - ya know - i def can feel the whole thing about a rush for coverage - its like i THINK i know the look i want - and then i just want more - the more work i get the more i see the gaps - plus - this is the other thing - i really enjoy getting tattooed - machines running - pain flowing - convos going - and then you get this art that keeps the experience going - and then - there's another appt on the calendar - oh shit - i'm hooked