Hello Everyone / Was I Wrong?

JohnnyT

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking forward to getting advice from the community. I recently got a tattoo and wanted to share a small piece of my experience regarding hygiene to see if I'm being completely neurotic or not.

I tend to be super observant and error on the side of caution when watching artists prep. I definitely don't want to come across as micromanaging but want to make sure I feel safe at the same time.

In this particular instance, everything was going fine with prep and the artist seemed to be very thorough. However, when opening a new ink bottle, part of the seal got stuck in the neck of the cap and he used a fresh needle to push it out from the top. I initially didn't say anything as I figured that needle would be disposed of and the artist hooked up another needle to the machine. But, in the middle of the session he started to attach the needle that was used to push the seal out. I took a few seconds to ponder if I should say something and finally asked if he could swap that needle with a fresh one. He obliged but seemed put off and said the seal was sterile but I think it was the outside part of the seal?

Was I wrong to question this? Should I have just stayed quiet? In the back of my mind I'm concerned that I might have put him off his game or pissed him off by questioning his hygiene practice which might have affected the result of my tattoo.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts about this!

5 minutes ago, scottyg said:

I mean, you do you.

You're right to protect yourself if you think that's what's needed. Better safe than sorry.

But unless you actually think it's not as good a tattoo, and unless you've reason to question his ability, I see no reason to question the work.

Thanks. I guess my question is would that have bothered you enough to ask? Would you have even noticed or cared?

i don't think i would have bothered tbh, but i don't think you or anyone else should be too hard on your/yourself for asking. you were uncomfortable and spoke up. it's good that he obliged you, it's part of the tattooers job to make you feel comfortable while making you the best possible tattoo. especially if it is your first tattoo interaction with them.

technically it would be sterile, especially since a fresh bottle of ink.

i get more concerned with the number of tattooers i see accessing their phones mid-tattoo (with gloves they are using on you). phones are disgusting. don't lie, everyone checks their instagram or twitter while sitting on the toilet ! 

10 minutes ago, bongsau said:

i don't think i would have bothered tbh, but i don't think you or anyone else should be too hard on your/yourself for asking. you were uncomfortable and spoke up. it's good that he obliged you, it's part of the tattooers job to make you feel comfortable while making you the best possible tattoo. especially if it is your first tattoo interaction with them.

technically it would be sterile, especially since a fresh bottle of ink.

i get more concerned with the number of tattooers i see accessing their phones mid-tattoo (with gloves they are using on you). phones are disgusting. don't lie, everyone checks their instagram or twitter while sitting on the toilet ! 

I appreciate the feedback and I agree with your other points. Luckily for me, my artist did glove changes any time he touched anything other than the machine or myself which is why I feel bad that I was being such a stickler.

As I'm watching my tattoo heal and seeing some variances from the sketch, in the back of my head I'm wondering if by big mouth caused them.

Or I could just be that I'm being paranoid lol.

1 minute ago, Hogrider said:

Yes, it's a VERY bad thing. There is no such thing as a perfect tattoo and if you go over your tattoo with a magnifying glass you'll find all kinds of things "wrong" with it. Better to just love it from a distance. 

Thanks for clarifying. I'm okay with natural imperfections caused by human error. I knew that I wasn't getting a picture printed on me from the get go. I'm more concerned with the human emotion component I might have introduced by saying something. I know the past is the past, this is more of an informative inquiry for going forward. I honestly don't know what the standard hygienic practices are.

1 hour ago, JohnnyT said:

Can you elaborate? Are you saying my behavior was so egregious, I have no business getting tattoos? I am a little concerned I might have offended him which is why I'm trying to learn.

well,IMO assuming you have done thorough research and believe you have found a good artist with good sanitary practice, then you need to relax and trust that person.

or like was said and like I said, maybe tattoos are not the thing for you.

if you are that worried about every step taken by a tattooer after you have researched a particular artist, then yes, maybe you should find another art form to get into.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

well,IMO assuming you have done thorough research and believe you have found a good artist with good sanitary practice, then you need to relax and trust that person.

or like was said and like I said, maybe tattoos are not the thing for you.

if you are that worried about every step taken by a tattooer after you have researched a particular artist, then yes, maybe you should find another art form to get into.

Finding a good artist based on a portfolio doesn't speak to sanitation. You're right though, there is a fine line between being careless and having trust. Just hard to understand where that line is. I appreciate your feedback.