Aftercare During Back to Back Sessions

EoL

Just curious if anyone has had back to back tattoo sessions and what the aftercare looks like between them. Do you bother to put ointment on knowing you'll be back the next day? Will having ointment on the skin negatively affect the next session? I know the artist will clean the area anyway so I'm wondering if it's just a waste of ointment.

20 minutes ago, EoL said:

Just curious if anyone has had back to back tattoo sessions and what the aftercare looks like between them. Do you bother to put ointment on knowing you'll be back the next day? Will having ointment on the skin negatively affect the next session? I know the artist will clean the area anyway so I'm wondering if it's just a waste of ointment.

if it was me, I would keep a light coat of cocoa butter and wrap it with saran until the next day.Like you said the artist will clean it all anyway.

It really feels like I should know this as most of my sessions so far (I would guess at least a dozen) are two back to back days but I never came up with a good solution. Sometimes I would just be wrapped up with clingwrap, sometimes with gauze dressings and tape.

My biggest concerns were always:

a) absorbing the shit that oozes out without dripping everywhere and staining your clothes.

b) keeping it clear from contamination.

Once or twice I did wash it in the evening as it was getting messy and it burned, then applied fresh gauze pads. Carrying with you some unscented Dove soap and extra bandages may not be a bad idea.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, piccalilli said:

It really feels like I should know this as most of my sessions so far (I would guess at least a dozen) are two back to back days but I never came up with a good solution. Sometimes I would just be wrapped up with clingwrap, sometimes with gauze dressings and tape.

My biggest concerns were always:

a) absorbing the shit that oozes out without dripping everywhere and staining your clothes.

b) keeping it clear from contamination.

Once or twice I did wash it in the evening as it was getting messy and it burned, then applied fresh gauze pads. Carrying with you some unscented Dove soap and extra bandages may not be a bad idea.

Do you use antibacterial soap? I've been using Dial Gold but I don't know of the alcohol in it is an issue.

5 hours ago, EoL said:

Do you use antibacterial soap? I've been using Dial Gold but I don't know of the alcohol in it is an issue.

I personally only use Dove body wash, I don't know if the antibacterial helps or harms to be honest. Maybe the alcohol in it would dry out the skin? Or

23 hours ago, scottyg said:

I use Dial Gold too, and would recommend it. But I'm not seeing it contains alcohol?

Do you use the bar soap or liquid hand soap? I also realized I was using Dial Complete Gold which is apparently different than Dial Gold and contains alcohol but it's low on the list. Hopefully not a huge deal. I didn't experience any pain using it.

15 minutes ago, oboogie said:

Me, too. Dial Gold liquid soap. Every tattoo artist I've used has told me to use it. So I do.

Where do you find it? I could only find Dial Complete Gold which I didn't know was different and has some alcohol in it. Probably not a huge deal but I rather avoid any alcohol if I can.

Edited by EoL
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what we tell our clients:

Tattoo Care Instructions:

1) Remove the bandage after one hour

• All wounds need to breathe in order to heal properly.

2) Washing the tattoo

• Use your fingertips or hand only.
  • Use a mild antibacterial soap and warm water.
  • Take care to remove all traces of blood to prevent scabbing.
  • Do not scrub the tattoo with a washcloth during the two week healing time.
  • Pat the tattoo dry with a clean paper towel, or just let it air dry.

3) Aftercare

• Apply a thin coat of ointment at least 3 times a day
  • Just enough to make it shine. A little goes a long way.
  • Aquaphor is our recommended ointment.
  • There is no need to re-bandage your tattoo, just keep a very thin layer of ointment on top keep it moist and prevent scabs.

4) Keeping your Tattoo clean

• Avoid long showers or baths for 2 weeks. Also, avoid prolonged soaking so no swimming, hot tubs, or saunas.
  • Keep showers to under 10 minutes.

5) Do not scratch or pick at your tattoo

• To relieve itching, tap lightly with your hand.

6) The sun can be bad for your tattoo

• Sunburn on tattoos can cause many problems.
  • Please wait for your tattoo to heal completely before going into the sun or a tanning bed. Make sure to use a high quality sun block (not sunscreen) do not apply sunblock while a tattoo is in the healing process.
  • Over time, the sun will cause any tattoo to fade.

Any questions don't hesitate to reach out to us at Sacred Raven Tattoo.

Thanks! It's interesting how some artists suggest keeping showers minimal or not using direct spray at all and other suggest blasting the new tattoo with hot water for 5-10 mins. I've even heard of taking a hot bath immediately after. I believe it's a traditional Japanese method?