Having anxiety

AEG

Hi all, 

I am new to the site. Not new to tattoos I have had 3 before my large sleeve piece. 

I started the first half of my sleeve and was in love and just started on the bottom half. I love the design and concept but am having anxiety and panic attacks when looking at it. I don’t know if it is the shock since my other tattoos are covered easily and also now the sleeve is covering my whole arm. I just had work done a couple day’s ago and my bicep is healed since October. 

I just feel now I am analyzing every aspect of my tattoo and also the bottom half is darker which I know has to go through the healing process and will eventually be similar to the top. I also have no exposed this tattoo to my job at all and I am feeling anxiety about what people will be thinking, my friends, family and boyfriend say they love it but I am all of the sudden feeling overwhelmed with my decision. I have wanted a sleeve since my early twenties (I am now 27). I have always wanted this concept and design since the begining so I feel I have thought about it for a long time and I feel disappointed in myself for having so much regret. I feel my family, friends and boyfriend are just saying they love it because they love me and don’t want to hurt my feelings. 

I have more work to be done but I feel I am constantly analyzing and critiquing the work and I did not feel that way after my first session. 

I have been reading other posts here and just thought I could get some insight and ask if others have gotten over this. Please let me know what you think. 

thank you. 

B96E326D-AA3D-47AC-99AB-1F3F74C15242.png

Edited by AEG

11 hours ago, AEG said:

Hi all, 

I am new to the site. Not new to tattoos I have had 3 before my large sleeve piece. 

I started the first half of my sleeve and was in love and just started on the bottom half. I love the design and concept but am having anxiety and panic attacks when looking at it. I don’t know if it is the shock since my other tattoos are covered easily and also now the sleeve is covering my whole arm. I just had work done a couple day’s ago and my bicep is healed since October. 

I just feel now I am analyzing every aspect of my tattoo and also the bottom half is darker which I know has to go through the healing process and will eventually be similar to the top. I also have no exposed this tattoo to my job at all and I am feeling anxiety about what people will be thinking, my friends, family and boyfriend say they love it but I am all of the sudden feeling overwhelmed with my decision. I have wanted a sleeve since my early twenties (I am now 27). I have always wanted this concept and design since the begining so I feel I have thought about it for a long time and I feel disappointed in myself for having so much regret. I feel my family, friends and boyfriend are just saying they love it because they love me and don’t want to hurt my feelings. 

I have more work to be done but I feel I am constantly analyzing and critiquing the work and I did not feel that way after my first session. 

I have been reading other posts here and just thought I could get some insight and ask if others have gotten over this. Please let me know what you think. 

thank you. 

it's totally normal ,  it will pass.    nice sleeve !

8 hours ago, SweetDaddyPatty said:

It’s awesome. What you’re feeling is pretty common for a first huge piece or first visible piece. I get it every time with hand and neck tattoos. You’ll adjust to the change in your appearance and start to love it, before almost forgetting you even have it. And it looks cool as shit

Thank you for your kind words and insight. I really appreciate it. 

At this point I look at other women with sleeves and think it looks so beautiful and on me it looks so foreign. I guess I just need to appreciate and get used to looking at it on my body.

Thanks again! 

4 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Very common. I've never had it myself, but I guess a lot of people get the anxiety. Put away the microscope and enjoy your tattoo.

Thank you. After reading some other posts I do see it is very common. It's just very overwhelming.

I find myself comparing to other tattoos and not wanting to go back to finish my appointment. I guess my main concern is that it does look good and is good work? or if I am just over analyzing everything. 

Thanks for your thoughts! 

12 hours ago, AEG said:

Thank you. After reading some other posts I do see it is very common. It's just very overwhelming.

I find myself comparing to other tattoos and not wanting to go back to finish my appointment. I guess my main concern is that it does look good and is good work? or if I am just over analyzing everything. 

As everyone else has said, that is one cool sleeve so, imo, no real concerns there.

Also requoting everyone, it is actually quite common especially for more visible (huge) tattoos since your mind will usually recognise it as "alien" or "foreign" from what it understands your body to be.

When I first got my wrist tattoo, I would sometimes get a shock and wonder where I got it dirty or why there was something on it. Now, it's just part of me. My mind has finally caught up to the changes. Try not to overthink it. This too will pass. 

19 hours ago, AEG said:

or if I am just over analyzing everything. 

You're overanalyzing everything. No tattoo is perfect. If you closely examine ANY tattoo, especially an entire sleeve, you'll find something "wrong" with it. My artist taught me that early in the game, now I just look at the big picture and enjoy my tattoos.

With all of the shit tattoos people run around bragging about, I don't know how you can even think that your tattoo isn't awesome. Take two bottle of wine and call us in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, AEG said:

I am a woman, and I felt this kind of thing when I finished my first full sleeve on my right arm. I got over pretty quickly, then I completed my left sleeve.

You'll get over it. 

Edited by oboogie

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 11:04 AM, oboogie said:

I am a woman, and I felt this kind of thing when I finished my first full sleeve on my right arm. I got over pretty quickly, then I completed my left sleeve.

You'll get over it. 

Thanks for your insight! Glad to know it gets better. 

2 minutes ago, AEG said:

Thank you, I have more work pending to wrap around my forearm. 

Nice!  Yeah I'd get that finished up, then you can re-analyze how you feel about it. 

I bet you just need a little more time to get used to things, be proud of what you've got!

Don’t worry I’m going through exactly the same I’m currently in progress of a full sleeve and it got me pretty depressed “ since 3 weeks ago “ I’m slowly getting better it’s more of in the morning when I wake up I sort of look and think oh no then panic attacks happen. I understand how you’re feeling completely. I work myself up so much I get headaches 

Eesoecially in my case I have my wrist all done my bicep isn’t even done then I have my shoulder done I literally can’t look at any of it cos I freak out about gaps then I start picking holes in everything I’ve gotta get it finished then question myself once it’s all healed if I don’t like certain parts I’ll have it lasered light so I can put something else there