New to the game

SJP0tato

Hi guys,

first post, figured I'd give a brief intro and also say thanks for all the shared wisdom/input:

I'm a middle aged guy (40) going in next week for his first tattoo (planning a small/medium-ish sized piece on the upper arm), after having a consultation with a local artist about my ideas.  I let him know I may be interested in continuing/expanding on the idea later, depending how I feel about things.  

I've wanted to get a tattoo for a long time, but always held back due to concerns with all the usual tropes:  job prospects, what friends/family/others will think, "omg what will it look like when you're older", not completely sold on an idea/implementation, etc.  I've decided that I'm settled into my career and it will have 0 impact, and I don't care about what others think and I'm already "old" from some/most perspectives.  🙂

I've spent the past few weeks reading through quite a few older/archived posts from the past 3-4 years, and learning as much as I could about the whole process which I'm eternally grateful for.  I didn't even know what I didn't know until reading various accounts/inputs of the process (choosing a design, finding and working with an artist about the implementation, aftercare, mental state throughout the process), so thank you to anyone who's posted a question/response here!

I'll come back next week and post up a pic as things progress (it sounds like it's going to take two sessions to get everything completed), in the meantime:  glad to be here!

47 minutes ago, SJP0tato said:

Hi guys,

first post, figured I'd give a brief intro and also say thanks for all the shared wisdom/input:

I'm a middle aged guy (40) going in next week for his first tattoo (planning a small/medium-ish sized piece on the upper arm), after having a consultation with a local artist about my ideas.  I let him know I may be interested in continuing/expanding on the idea later, depending how I feel about things.  

I've wanted to get a tattoo for a long time, but always held back due to concerns with all the usual tropes:  job prospects, what friends/family/others will think, "omg what will it look like when you're older", not completely sold on an idea/implementation, etc.  I've decided that I'm settled into my career and it will have 0 impact, and I don't care about what others think and I'm already "old" from some/most perspectives.  🙂

I've spent the past few weeks reading through quite a few older/archived posts from the past 3-4 years, and learning as much as I could about the whole process which I'm eternally grateful for.  I didn't even know what I didn't know until reading various accounts/inputs of the process (choosing a design, finding and working with an artist about the implementation, aftercare, mental state throughout the process), so thank you to anyone who's posted a question/response here!

I'll come back next week and post up a pic as things progress (it sounds like it's going to take two sessions to get everything completed), in the meantime:  glad to be here!

welcome !    

12316612_10203826171974016_935197483505486122_n.jpg

using LST right!  best intro in a while. welcome!

looking forward to see what you get.

i'd say 40 isn't old in the tattoo world. still plenty of time for a body suit! most artists that are highly respected here on LST are probably in their 40s or above. you seem to have the right mindset to do things the right way and perhaps you have the financial stability to not go the cheap route. now to see if you get hooked like the rest of us.

7 hours ago, Hands On said:

using LST right!  best intro in a while. welcome!

looking forward to see what you get.

i'd say 40 isn't old in the tattoo world. still plenty of time for a body suit! most artists that are highly respected here on LST are probably in their 40s or above. you seem to have the right mindset to do things the right way and perhaps you have the financial stability to not go the cheap route. now to see if you get hooked like the rest of us.

yep ! I turned 60 last October.

3 hours ago, SJP0tato said:

Thanks @Hands On

the financial aspect is a really good point to raise too:  If my 20's self could talk to my 40's self, he'd probably say "You're gonna spend WHAT on THAT?!?".  

Age and lessons learned really drives home the "you get what you pay for" adage.  🙂

Nice to be in good company here!

On 1/4/2020 at 5:26 AM, Hogrider said:

"omg what will it look like when you're older"

Probably the thing I hate to hear the most. I always say, "And you think your cellulite- ridden, saggy, mottled, PINK skin is going to look good?

THIS. Hahaha.

I covered my first tattoo with a better one when I was 40. Now, I'm 48, and I have two full sleeves and my lower legs are both covered. I also work in a professional office environment (ad agency), and no one cares about my tattoos.

First session is in the books!

We were able to finish up the design, complete the outline, and get some initial colors completed today.  Before we started he asked "how big are you thinking?".  I told him I've heard a lot of people suggest not to wimp out just cause it's the first, aka "go big or go home".

It's a little odd looking with only reds (and a smidge of yellow) filled, but I think it's turning out great so far.  I can't wait to get more color fill going!

20200109_180140_HDR.jpg

20200109_180129.jpg

Edited by SJP0tato

• 2 weeks later...

Session number two down, we were able to get about 95% of the Black Mage colored in.

I'm really happy with the detail so far, the color fill experience is definitely a different sensation than the linework.  🙂

I was talking with my artist, we'll need to come up with an idea for a border/background after the next session or so.  I'll be paying more attention to how other designs handle it the next few weeks from looking at examples online.  I'm sure we'll come up with something clever!

IMG_6757.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Session #3 done, I'm really happy with how things are shaping up! 

Looks like one more session to add in a few more fine details, and then fill in a bit of background/border.  I still need to come up with something for the background, I think something relatively simple so it doesn't detract from the main subjects is probably best (any ideas or suggestions would be awesome too).

IMG_6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Last session is done... not sure how common it is to spend so many sessions on a single/first piece like this, but I'm having a lot of fun with the process so I guess it's all good!  Again really appreciate all the info contributed on this site over the years (so if you're reading this:  thank you!), it's helped my experience more than I can say.

One more touch-up session scheduled in a month or so (artist wants to add a little more color to a few areas), but first tattoo down, now to figure out which of the dozens of ideas to have done next!  Dang things really are addictive after all...  🙂

ujpG32Y - Imgur.jpg

JiMIztH - Imgur.jpg

Edited by SJP0tato

• 4 months later...

I guess I'm not really a newbie anymore, but it's still fun to read & share here:

I went in for #2 this week:  This one's a throwback to a conversation my best friend and I had in the late 80's/early 90's:  "One day when we're 18, you should get a tattoo of Hobbes, and I'll get Calvin".  I guess I decided it was finally time.  🙂

Hobbes.jpg

4 hours ago, Queen Rocks said:

That looks so cool! Did your friend ever get Calvin?  You should bug him if he hasn't already. haha

Hah, good question:  We sort of drifted apart after highschool, but do talk every once in awhile.  I sent him a pic on social media, but no real response yet.  🙂

14 minutes ago, SStu said:

And very nicely done! Credit the artist!

Thanks!  

This one was done by Brian Savage at Black Lotus in Gilbert, Az. 

Very talented guy whose style I really like.  Nice guy in-person too!

• 1 year later...