Anxiety ridden canvases

SStu

It is INSANE how much this topic has come up in the last year or less. 2-5 years ago it was a really rare topic but now we're getting at least 2 new posts/week from people who are new to tattoos and whose 1st post is about how much getting a tattoo has adversely affected their well being. WTF is going on!!??

I have no idea. I feel like maybe people who never would have gotten tattoos are getting them now because they are more mainstream, but then they appear to suddenly realize it is permanent? I don't know, but it feels like 90% of newbies come here to talk about their anxiety over a new tattoo. Sigh.

Edited by oboogie

As someone middle-aged but new to the tattoo scene (just started the work on my first a couple weeks ago, going in for the second session tomorrow) I'm theorizing maybe it's the "social media + Instagram" popularity/bandwagon thing?

People see all these awesome tattoos online, usually a zoomed in, well lit/cropped image that looks amazing.  The hype starts, they rush out to get in on the awesomeness, then suddenly reality hits "wait, this isn't a nice cropped imagine online, this is on me forever and it does have some affect/impact on my daily life".  Probably mostly an overblown impression that fades over time, but that first realization hits hard.

Dunno, that's my worthless $0.02 on it.  That feeling isn't something I share: I'm pretty sure my first one I'm getting is perceived as "dumb" by the general public (my wife gave me the 'hmmmm' response so far lol), but I'm cool with that, it makes me happy to get anyways.

Edited by SJP0tato

I reckon it goes a bit like this....

Being tattooed has become more socially acceptable (at least in the UK).  This has removed one barrier to being tattooed (at least in the view of some who care about that sort of thing).

Tattooing is more accessible.  There are more tattoo studios - and it's easier to get an understanding of the process and book an appointment.  This has removed another barrier (at least in some who wouldn't have made the effort).

Tattooing is now seen as desirable in some social milieu.  This has encouraged some who are influenced by that kind of thing to have a tattoo - when maybe that shouldn't be a primary reason.

The "being tattooed progression" also appears to have changed with the above.  Shoulder to upper arm to (maybe) lower arm to hands (unusual) to face (very unusual) has migrated to lower arm, hands etc as potentially a first tattoo.

But then again  - "I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't "it"".....  😕

They spend too much time thinking about how cool they’ll be and too little time thinking about this artist, the design, the aftercare, the stigma, and the fact that unlike on TV, having one removed isn’t a painless 10 minute process that leaves the skin looking like new.

in short, they don’t think the whole thing through.

7 hours ago, AtomicMagpye said:

I reckon it goes a bit like this....

Being tattooed has become more socially acceptable (at least in the UK).  This has removed one barrier to being tattooed (at least in the view of some who care about that sort of thing).

Tattooing is more accessible.  There are more tattoo studios - and it's easier to get an understanding of the process and book an appointment.  This has removed another barrier (at least in some who wouldn't have made the effort).

Tattooing is now seen as desirable in some social milieu.  This has encouraged some who are influenced by that kind of thing to have a tattoo - when maybe that shouldn't be a primary reason.

The "being tattooed progression" also appears to have changed with the above.  Shoulder to upper arm to (maybe) lower arm to hands (unusual) to face (very unusual) has migrated to lower arm, hands etc as potentially a first tattoo.

But then again  - "I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't "it"".....  😕

this is a thing for me,I believe face, neck, and hand tattoos are earned after being heavily tattooed on other parts of the body.

Edited by Dan

As you might remember my story about almost 2 years ago and I want to thank you guys again for how much you've been uplifting me with your honesty and your words. 
This post tattoo anxiety seems a very common thing. It hit me as well even though I was planning on getting a big one for many years. 
Many people have contacted me and having those feelings seems to be a very common thing, there seems to be the same pattern that people are going through. It looks to me that nowadays people want to have a solution for everything immediately if they don't feel comfortable with something. People don't know how to be patient anymore and get rid of something if they don't like it. People compare themselves way too much with others as it's what social media does with many people's minds.
There are quite a few reasons that I could write about regarding post tattoo anxiety and I was thinking about posting my experience here as so many people have been reaching out to me and I can see there seems to be a common psychological process (I just don't really have the time to write things down in detail)
Anyway:  I can assure to everyone with this anxiety: YOU WILL GET OVER  IT  and live will go on. It might take some time but you will get there. Don't be hard on yourself and even if right now you're having panic attacks (which is a horrible feeling), it'll get less and you'll come to love your tattoo. It's a change you've done to your body and now your mind needs some time to adjust. Don't forget that you love tattoos and why you love them because this is hopefully the reason why you decided to get them.

Edited by Carmelita
wanted to say thank you

I don't get it either.  If anything, it gave me a sense of accomplishment and overcoming of anxiety, not creating it.  I think too many people today is the simplest things as the end of the world instead of just getting over it and going on with life.  Not to sound like an old fart, but I think too many people today don't know what real hardship really is.

I reckon the instant gratification mindset of the younger generation probably plays a part.

They see something, they want something, they get something. After that, they probably realise it wasn't how they envisioned it to turn out. And, lo and behold, it ain't like the latest fashion statement or fad where you can just purchase the latest model, use it once and relegate it to the back of your storeroom until the next spring cleaning either lands it in the rubbish dump, the salvation army donation box, or a garage sale.

Imo, that mindset does not go with tattoos unless we are referring to the the temporary kind. Plus, let's not forget all the "role models" who make it cool to have tattoos on their face, neck, hands, knuckles just for the sake of being a cool kid. Wasn't that the argument given for all the young guns taking up smoking (decades ago)?

Then again, there are also those for whom the above does not apply wherein it is more about adaptation than anything else.

On 1/23/2020 at 5:59 PM, JAC1961 said:

I don't get it either.  If anything, it gave me a sense of accomplishment and overcoming of anxiety, not creating it.  I think too many people today is the simplest things as the end of the world instead of just getting over it and going on with life.  Not to sound like an old fart, but I think too many people today don't know what real hardship really is.

You may be an old fart, but you're right. I'm an old fart too. 

I'm newbie so my words might count as nothing.

I got, as you know, my first tattoo a week ago. I waited for it atleast a year. My mom always told me "Don't you dare getting tattoed, I will cut your arm if I see you", then I found a job, I've earned money, and I become independent. 

Then I started reading stuff about tattoes, watched many guides/videos about tattoo care, performances etc. I litterally found a wonderful world, which means a lot to me.

After a year of studying, research and interest I thought "now I'm ready", so I booked a session, choosing the tattoo studio based on: reviews, instagram post etc.

I went in and I said "I would like to have a wolf printed in my left forearm". Two weeks have passed and in 4hrs I got my forearm tattooed. 

Since this session every morning I watch my forearm and I think about every single minute passed watching videos, reading guides, choosing the subject etc. And I say "I have to be proud about it, that's my personal goal that I have been aiming for a year". 

In the end, for me, you can't get a tattoo if you are not ready for it. That is why people have anxiety after the session. They aren't ready yet 

5 hours ago, oboogie said:

The crazy just keeps coming. They had to lock another newbie thread because she didn't hear what he wanted to. YIKES. It must be a tough time to be a tattoo artist. 😳

Not true. I thanked the initial person for their advice, proceeded to explain further what had happened, but then just ended up getting insulted and berated so I flagged them. You cannot justify your opinion when you chose to see only one side of the picture. Not all tattoo artists are saints dealing with “insane” customers.

Tattoos artists have the choice to be prepared, to communicate with client prior to appointment with any questions or concerns about the design, and to have a minimum level of clear communication and customer service during the appointment. This artist did not. 

2 hours ago, LadySchism said:

The answer to your question lies in the initial post, and again in the comments that followed that you obviously chose not to read prior to labeling me as crazy.

Perhaps you should go back and “proof read” before making your next judgement.

Proofread* It's my job, not my hobby.

TL;DR

Gosh, I can't imagine how you didn't get along with your tattoo artist. 🤣

1 hour ago, Gingerninja said:

Old farts for the win! Life is hard...tattoo's shouldn't be.

Right on!

Edited by oboogie

2 hours ago, oboogie said:

Proofread* It's my job, not my hobby.

TL;DR

Gosh, I can't imagine how you didn't get along with your tattoo artist. 🤣

Gosh, well I can’t imagine how lazy and ignorant you continue to make yourself sound as you prove my point.. It may not be your job to thoroughly read a post, but it definitely invalidates any point you attempt make when you chose not to fully inform yourself on the subject matter first.

Talk to me once you actually read what happened before creating another response continuously fueled by more uninformed assumptions and cognitive dissonance. 

Ignorance is not bliss. Your words are nil.

10 hours ago, LadySchism said:

Gosh, well I can’t imagine how lazy and ignorant you continue to make yourself sound as you prove my point.. It may not be your job to thoroughly read a post, but it definitely invalidates any point you attempt make when you chose not to fully inform yourself on the subject matter first.

Talk to me once you actually read what happened before creating another response continuously fueled by more uninformed assumptions and cognitive dissonance. 

Ignorance is not bliss. Your words are nil.

Being an ass hole is not a good way to become part of a community. We LIKE @oboogie, you, not so much.

Best to unknot those panties and learn some manners before you post again.

Edited by Hogrider

• Steve locked and unlocked this topic
4 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Being an ass hole is not a good way to become part of a community. We LIKE @oboogie, you, not so much.

Best to unknot those panties and learn some manners before you post again.

Ok.. so apparently being an asshole once you are “liked” in this community is ok? May I remind you that she was the one who decided to go out of her way to call me crazy initially in this thread, albeit admittedly, without even reading my post to gain any kind of understanding of the situation prior to doing so.

Now stating facts and choosing to stand up for myself makes me the asshole? Interesting.. Perhaps she needed to learn some manners as well before she chose to comment the way she did.