Healing Anxiety

insectgarbage

Hello All!!

New here, obviously, that's why I'm in initiation LOL. I recently got this tattoo at the PA tattoo convention and I'm having some real anxiety about the healing process. This is now my 4th tattoo but first on this type of skin location (calf).

IMG_7140.thumb.png.32cddad6166a8b58a4a5f8589dd98774.png

My main question is that I got the tattoo about 12 days ago and the ink is not flaking or peeling like my tattoos have done in the past, like not even a single fleck has come off of it yet. It doesn't hurt or feel irritated but if I touch it gently it feels risen like the scabbed ink is there it just won't fall off. I wash about 1-2 times a day with warm/cool water and unscented Dove soap (morning and night), and lotion about 3 times a day (morning, around lunch time & before bed) with a thin layer of non-scented store brand "Cetaphil"-type lotion.

I did look up a few things saying different parts of the body heal differently, I'm just concerned because it is a larger space on my body and I don't want it to heal incorrectly based on how I'm treating it. Should I lotion less to allow it to dry out a bit? Or just give it time just continuing my routine? What are some warning signs I can look out for to know if things are going south? 

The tattoo on my calf healed at the same rate as my other tattoos so I reckon it probably depends on individuals. Then again, I've noticed that tattoos of different styles and by different artists heal differently as well. I also had one that did not peel/flake at all.

Imo, if there ain't anything wrong with it, you're golden.

1 hour ago, cgrave said:

The tattoo on my calf healed at the same rate as my other tattoos so I reckon it probably depends on individuals. Then again, I've noticed that tattoos of different styles and by different artists heal differently as well. I also had one that did not peel/flake at all.

100%   and it varies from different parts of the body too.

3 hours ago, cgrave said:

My calves are covered, and they always take longer to heal. Of course, it is different for everyone, but this happens to a lot of people. It's not just me sharing this experience. 😉