cragdw

Guys! The OP is over a year old!

Yeah but maybe since it was dug up we will find out what happened to that tattoo, my bet is he is still wearing it. Coverups are for names of girls you are no longer dating and that tattoo you got while drunk in vegas on the strip, not a Eli Quinters tattoo.

- - - Updated - - -

So, let's see, if the original artist doesn't want to work on it, the wearer of the tattoo should just say "sorry sir, may I have another"? No, he should, as I said originally, just go elsewhere.

Probably by that point neither of them want anything to do with the other, so yeah, fuck it, walk it off. Again, the "consumer", as you put it, is wearing the tattoo. If he wants it changed, that's his prerogative. If the tattooist, after talking it over with the customer, doesn't want to change it, then it's his prerogative to tell him to fuck off.

Pretty basic stuff.

When you commission a piece of work, it's pretty much yours to do with as you choose. If I hire a carpenter to build a cabinet, and then decide in a year that I want it modified, why should the carpenter get all worked up about it? If he does, I would consider it to be unreasonable, and then, yeah, fuck 'em.

A tattooist may work in a different medium, but a master carpenter is no less an artist...I've just never met one who felt he should pitch a fit whenever someone decided that their taste had changed.

I really could see it going either way. I could see someone like Eli who stays pretty busy just deciding he doesn't want to try to cover up something he put there with intention of being solid for the rest of the persons life. It would a lot more work than slapping a black panther over a barely their scrappy tattoo. Obviously people can do what they want with their tattoos, and I am sure he wouldn't care about it like some priceless masterpiece.

On the otherhand maybe he would want the chance to be the one to cover it. But ultimately everyone suggested for the OP to go back to and talk to him in hopes they would talk him into keeping the tattoo.

Yeah but maybe since it was dug up we will find out what happened to that tattoo, my bet is he is still wearing it. Coverups are for names of girls you are no longer dating and that tattoo you got while drunk in vegas on the strip, not a Eli Quinters tattoo.

- - - Updated - - -

I really could see it going either way. I could see someone like Eli who stays pretty busy just deciding he doesn't want to try to cover up something he put there with intention of being solid for the rest of the persons life. It would a lot more work than slapping a black panther over a barely their scrappy tattoo. Obviously people can do what they want with their tattoos, and I am sure he wouldn't care about it like some priceless masterpiece.

On the otherhand maybe he would want the chance to be the one to cover it. But ultimately everyone suggested for the OP to go back to and talk to him in hopes they would talk him into keeping the tattoo.

Agree with both answers! I guess the "tone" that was disliked was my use of the phrase "fuck 'em". In that context, at least to me or those I know, it just means the same as "drive on", there is no hostility or animosity attacjed to it. The right thing to do is to go back to the original artist with your request, and take it from there.

Over and out.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...