• 2 weeks later...
i have travelled for all my tattoos, next one will be with miketheathens in Greece

I'd be really curious to hear how you get on - in a few ways.

I guess the economic climate for tattooers is pretty tough in Greece at the moment, given that people must have, on average, far less disposable income. Wonder if guys like your artist are really depending on out-of-town customers?

My brother was there recently for work. He said there were some ridiculously cheap hotel rooms and meals on offer because the people are so desperate to try and at least preserve their tourist trade. It would feel a bit mercenary to capitalise on it, but on the other hand the greeks are really suffering because a lot of their clientele, particularly the Germans, are staying away. They need people to travel as if it's business as usual.

I figured that while in California I should look up some other shop locations. Who knew that Spider Murphys was not too far from S.F?!? I just booked in with Stuart Cripwell for one of his great moths. This trip is going to be awesome!

Um, I knew! I made another appointment with Stuart yesterday. You won't be disappointed.

I'd be really curious to hear how you get on - in a few ways.

I guess the economic climate for tattooers is pretty tough in Greece at the moment, given that people must have, on average, far less disposable income. Wonder if guys like your artist are really depending on out-of-town customers?

My brother was there recently for work. He said there were some ridiculously cheap hotel rooms and meals on offer because the people are so desperate to try and at least preserve their tourist trade. It would feel a bit mercenary to capitalise on it, but on the other hand the greeks are really suffering because a lot of their clientele, particularly the Germans, are staying away. They need people to travel as if it's business as usual.

I really don´t know if mike is suffering a lack of clients in greece, i hear he is busy most of the time.

But yes, the tickets and hotel had a nice price, enough to make me stay a couple more days and plan some vacations in santorini.

Anyway looking forward to get something from this great artist.

I take a 5-6 hour train up to Chicago to get tattooed. Which sounds like a lot, but it's not too bad considering it's a train ride and I usually take the 3am train, sleep most of the way, and show up at 9am.

made a 10 hour drive to chicago recently to get tattooed at ctc.. was totally worth it and will be doing it all over again real soon.

My wife has promised me a trip to the US on our 10 yr wedding anniversary for a sleeve from one of the great artists over there. That's 7 years from now, maybe Valerie will be taking new customers again then?

Valerie Vargas? Doesn't she work in London at Frith St.?

Are you going to get tattooed by Mario again or someone else at the shop? Do you know when you're going?

Probably get tattooed by Mario again and I'd like to get tattooed by Nick as well. Not sure on when though, hopefully by the end of the year but I have a few other trips coming up so we will see

Probably get tattooed by Mario again and I'd like to get tattooed by Nick as well. Not sure on when though, hopefully by the end of the year but I have a few other trips coming up so we will see

Nick is, IMHO, the best traditional American style tattooist out there. Mario's work is most excellent, slightly different feel to it, but I'd recommend either of them in a hearbeat.

Course, if you go to CTC, it might pay you to take a look at Mike Dalton's work. Man been there something like 30 years, quiet, steady, tattoos like a mofo.

Hard to beat-or equal-that shop for talent, history, and surroundings.

One thing I like about Nick working is that he's working. Oh, he's friendly, personable, all of that, but I mean, forget about smoke breaks and all that shit, unless you request it, it's needles in for the whole time, str8-up. The last work he did on me, he stopped after he did all the blackwork, maybe an hour and a half, two hours in, for a tem minute break to let me stretch and hit the head, after that it was another couple hours non-stop.

Some artists, especially the smokers, man, they can make a 4 hour tattoo take 6 hours!

Nick is, IMHO, the best traditional American style tattooist out there. Mario's work is most excellent, slightly different feel to it, but I'd recommend either of them in a hearbeat.

Course, if you go to CTC, it might pay you to take a look at Mike Dalton's work. Man been there something like 30 years, quiet, steady, tattoos like a mofo.

Hard to beat-or equal-that shop for talent, history, and surroundings.

One thing I like about Nick working is that he's working. Oh, he's friendly, personable, all of that, but I mean, forget about smoke breaks and all that shit, unless you request it, it's needles in for the whole time, str8-up. The last work he did on me, he stopped after he did all the blackwork, maybe an hour and a half, two hours in, for a tem minute break to let me stretch and hit the head, after that it was another couple hours non-stop.

Some artists, especially the smokers, man, they can make a 4 hour tattoo take 6 hours!

And he works so goddamn fast, it's unreal.

But I agree, him and Mario have such distinct styles, both are great though. If I'm going to get something that's straight up American traditional, I'd go to Nick, but for something kind of weird, Mario does some cool shit.

And he works so goddamn fast, it's unreal.

But I agree, him and Mario have such distinct styles, both are great though. If I'm going to get something that's straight up American traditional, I'd go to Nick, but for something kind of weird, Mario does some cool shit.

Agreed. Dave McNair is def another tattooist that doesn't get mentioned enough, and has chops most can only wish for!

There are enough tattooers here in the Bay Area that I don't necessarily need to travel to get tattooed, and we have the State of Grace Convention each year. The farthest I have traveled is about 80-90 miles round trip from Half Moon Bay (Peninsula, southwest portion of the Bay Area) to Oakland. I'm also in the beginning stages of accepting the fact that I might have to travel to Japan for a tattoo sometime in the distant future.