TV shows, magazines and my business

Deb Yarian

Today, the grieving mother and sister of one of my son's friends came in to my shop.

The friend, a 17 year old, recently died as a result of alcohol consumption.

They are returning tomorrow to get tattooed. Like so many customers before them, coming not only to memorialize their loved one- but I believe to experience a physical pain, a sacrifice for the one they lost.

I mention this because after they left I was thinking that i was glad that we could help them.

I have recently posted here in regards to the newest reality show, NY Ink and in regards to tattoo magazines in general. I was vocal about not wanting to watch , let alone read what led one to get tattooed and the drama and often gratuitous display of emotion that goes with the explanation. Didn't someone say " oh another dead child in the first

episode".

So after their visit today and thinking about it I realized what it is about the media and their focus on tattooing that bothers me, actually offends me.

it's the intrusion in to my life, in to my business! It sensationalizes and trivializes at the same time. It turns a tattooer into a caricature of one -see Corey Miller in LA Ink prompting the character "oh, that must have been terrible, how did that make you feel?" (nothing against Corey) just tv Corey.

It makes what was once private, public. What was once secret or mysterious- familiar.

Really, I don't resent my clients and their need for meaning in their tattoos, and I'm more than a little honored that they choose me to help them preserve the memory of someone they lost.

It just translates so differently on TV.

Alright, I'm losing my train of thought.

That's my two cents.