Sunshine32

Has anyone else had post-tattoo panic/regret? How long does it last?

Recommended Posts

I recently got my 3rd tattoo and I have no idea why but for some reason this one has made me super anxious. It's not my biggest tattoo but it is my only color tattoo and in the most visible location (outer forearm.) It is also my only tattoo that was not a custom design - I picked it off her Instagram just as a fun one in between bigger tattoo sessions. So maybe that's why I'm having a bit of tattoo regret.

Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest. My phone is a bit of a potato. Also the only way for me to take a picture of my own outer forearm is to rest it on my knee so in order to show the tattoo upright the rest of my body in the background appears upside down 😆 Sorry for the confusing perspective!

When I look at it objectively I do think it's rather cute and I love the colors (she custom mixed them just for this) which was really fun! I'm about a month out from last touch up on it and I guess I just need encouragement on how long it took you to get over your "new tattoo panic".

I have another one coming up (custom design for my daughter) in March on my right forearm in a black and white style and I'm nervous if I'm regretting this one I might have the same issue with that one. 

Any thoughts??

Tat3.jpg

Tat2.jpg

Tat4.jpg

Tat1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very common; we get posts on here like every few days.

I'd hold off on another one for a bit if this one is this concerning.

Nothing to do now other than to grow to love it, which you've indicated you already do; it ain't going anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of it probably has to do with you not being used to it. It's new, filling a space that was open before, so it stands out. Doesn't take long to get used to it 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 8:40 AM, Sunshine32 said:

I recently got my 3rd tattoo and I have no idea why but for some reason this one has made me super anxious. It's not my biggest tattoo but it is my only color tattoo and in the most visible location (outer forearm.) It is also my only tattoo that was not a custom design - I picked it off her Instagram just as a fun one in between bigger tattoo sessions. So maybe that's why I'm having a bit of tattoo regret.

Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest. My phone is a bit of a potato. Also the only way for me to take a picture of my own outer forearm is to rest it on my knee so in order to show the tattoo upright the rest of my body in the background appears upside down 😆 Sorry for the confusing perspective!

When I look at it objectively I do think it's rather cute and I love the colors (she custom mixed them just for this) which was really fun! I'm about a month out from last touch up on it and I guess I just need encouragement on how long it took you to get over your "new tattoo panic".

I have another one coming up (custom design for my daughter) in March on my right forearm in a black and white style and I'm nervous if I'm regretting this one I might have the same issue with that one. 

Any thoughts??

 

 

 

 

it's 100% normal,  it will go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have post tattoo regret myself. It’s been driving me into an anxious wreck lately. The tattoo itself is beautiful. It’s the words written within the ribbon that seem rather childish, and I feel make people wonder about me. It’s a reflection of something I was going through at the time of getting the tattoo. Something I no longer want to be reminded of, but the design is too intricate and big to just have it lasered off and apparently will look too weird filling it in. It’s also right in my forearm so everybody can see. Your tattoo is great though. It doesn’t have words. It’s a pretty piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deckerisareplicant said:

I have post tattoo regret myself. It’s been driving me into an anxious wreck lately. The tattoo itself is beautiful. It’s the words written within the ribbon that seem rather childish, and I feel make people wonder about me. It’s a reflection of something I was going through at the time of getting the tattoo. Something I no longer want to be reminded of, but the design is too intricate and big to just have it lasered off and apparently will look too weird filling it in. It’s also right in my forearm so everybody can see. Your tattoo is great though. It doesn’t have words. It’s a pretty piece. 

our tattoos are a roadmap of our lives,the good and the bad, actually that's what makes us who we are,so it's important IMO to remember the good and the bad and all the lessons learned form life experiences and relationships we have all had.so wear it with pride and don't worry about what all the judgmental a s sholes think of you and your tattoo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deckerisareplicant said:

I feel make people wonder about me.

Screw what people think about your tattoos. That's one of the biggest reasons that I started getting tattooed, I put up my entire life listening to people judge me and I decided that I was done with.  Accept me tattoos and all or go F yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dan said:

our tattoos are a roadmap of our lives,the good and the bad, actually that's what makes us who we are,so it's important IMO to remember the good and the bad and all the lessons learned form life experiences and relationships we have all had.so wear it with pride and don't worry about what all the judgmental a s sholes think of you and your tattoo.

 

11 hours ago, JAC1961 said:

Screw what people think about your tattoos. That's one of the biggest reasons that I started getting tattooed, I put up my entire life listening to people judge me and I decided that I was done with.  Accept me tattoos and all or go F yourself.

Totally this.

Imo, tattoos chronicle our lives. They are ours and ours alone. No one will ever get what each tattoo means or what stage of our life each represents. And that's totally cool.

No point worrying about what others may think. One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is my first time posting. It's been nice reading comments concerning tattoo regret, as I've been dealing with it too. Thanks to Sunshine32 for starting this topic! For the record, I like your tattoo and I hope that you're feeling better about it now.

Back in February I got a tattoo of the robot from Queen's News of the World album cover. I've been a die hard Queen fan for over half my life now, and this is actually my third Queen tattoo, but it's the biggest I've ever committed to. Anyway, my artist and I collaborated and came up with what you see here: 

But now part of me wonders if I should have flipped the artwork so that the robot is coming toward the front of my body. I had this discussion with my tattoo artist but at the time I felt that flipping the design would bother me because that's not how it looks on the album cover (plus I couldn't put it on my other arm because I have a Freddie Mercury tattoo there). He was totally understanding and supportive, and I was cool with my decision for probably 2-3 months (in fact I was super proud of it!!!) and then the doubt started to settle in as I looked at other people's arm tattoos and noticed they mostly all faced toward the front of their bodies. Did I make a mistake? Is this arbitrary rule really that important? Does it really look bad the way I have it? Is it all in my head?

I'd be very thankful to hear back from anyone. I would hate to start the process of getting it removed, but I've already started browsing tattoo removal. My anxiety is getting the better of me lately and has really put me in a funk. 😞

Edited by QueenFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.