looking for advice on pricing paintings...

Its ok ,bro/sis and im glad that they made critical thinking part of your education.Ive been pissin down this art thing for 30 sumtin years. the only money i ever really made was ta2in. do me a faver, look at my paintings. tell me , honestly.

I think its just hard to separate the life and the style...Ed Hardy has lived the tattoo "life", Christian Audigier, has had more to do with bringing tattoos into "style" than Ed Hardy. I suppose whether or not that's a good thing, depends on your perspective. Were Hardy and Audigier not to make the cash dash, no doubt someone will, so for now I will try, hard as it may be to seperate my thoughts on Ed Hardy as a Tattooist and Ed Hardy as a business man.

Oh Shannon, I loved the one of the chicken/rooster, the rest are a bit to graffiti art for my liking but fair play to ya !

To be honest, I just think this shouldn't really be about money. I've bought prints from tattooers who have charged me less than a tenner, just because they really loved painting it and don't care. A friend of mine sells some of her work on eBay for a fraction of the price she charges to tattoo, just because she knows someone out there will love to have it on their wall. If you're in anything for money, you won't do that well, I've found.

to make things clear, i don't think i deserve to sell that painting, and i don't have a sense of entitlement from art school. i've made $30 off of my original art (aside from drawing on guitars for lunch, or the old pick ups out of them), and got hired by the small town where i went to high school to paint a mural in a library (a large portion of that money went to buying an engagement ring for my fiancee). all i see when i look at that painting are the things i need to improve on. it's how i feel about pretty much everything i do.

i asked about pricing because a few of my friends had inquired how much i wanted for it. they're the kind that, when i told them to just have it, they refused and told me to give them a price they could pay me. they have actual jobs with their real degrees (engineers and such). if i were to have sold it, it wouldn't have been for extra money. when you have $4.65 in the bank, there isn't any extra money. there's bills/food money.

and for Shannon's paintings, i actually prefer the graffitti-ish ones to the rooster, even though that one is still pretty out there.

i asked about pricing because a few of my friends had inquired how much i wanted for it.

Then offer the painting to your kind friends for auction. Highest bidder wins. Problem solved.

Then you can paint another for the second-highest bidder. Everybody wins.

Maybe art school didn't curse you with a sense of entitlement. If not, you were lucky, It took me years to try and shake it. but TV shows sure made you think that sentiment and romance make sub-standard work justifiable.

I'm afraid that once you paint tattoo imagery and show it to professionals you are held to the same standards as professionals.

So one of the hardest things about tattooing is learning to take advice without offering excuses and reasons. It's difficult and it hurts but you need to take it on the chin and learn from it. I'm sure any tattooer worth their salt would agree.

.... Christian Audigier, has had more to do with bringing tattoos into "style" than Ed Hardy.

Audigier didn't bring tattoos into style, he just saw an opportunity and took it. Jean Paul Gaultier did it at least 5 years earlier, but his pieces cost well into the thousands, C. Audigier just make it affordable for the masses.

Stewart's right yet again.

I've been biting my tongue but really you just need to spend less time trying to justify yourself via the internet and more time painting. You can write paragraphs for days about your personal history but that doesn't make you any more talented of a painter. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...