new guy

chipbz

Hi everyone

New to the site. New to tattoos. Currently planning my first piece and am joining for further inspiration, tips, advice. I've wanted one for a long time, but have always been of the mindset of never deciding on what I wanted it to be. Now I have some true inspiration and it feels right, so I'm all about planning a great first tattoo. Eager to join the discussions and get more knowledgeable.

The biggest things I'm thinking so far that I'd love help with are: 

1. I think I want my first piece to be chest/shoulder/upper arm. Do yall have any advice on this? I think I want it to be at least partially a cityscape.  (open to changing/expanding this though). 

2. I've found a few artists whose work and styles I really love. Anything I should really be researching before choosing someone specifically? 

3. Anything else you think i should know as a first timer? I've been doing a lot of youtube and google researching, but i'm here to learn and get inspired!

Thanks!

Edited by chipbz
expanded more

Welcome, and congratulation on coming here BEFORE you jump in. 

Generally, the 1st steps are to narrow down the style of art you want and finding what artists nail the style you're interesting in wearing forever. 

Understand that quality work is going to cost you good money. 

Send us a couple of links to the artist's work you are considering. 

Thanks!

I think I want a realistic, black piece (I'm okay with grays, but dont really want colors).  I'm not 100% decided on the final piece design and am hoping to work with the artist on their ideas too. Happy to pay what it's worth (part of the reason I'm planning now is because I'm also saving up).  What I'm currently thinking is doing a melting? cityscape type of tattoo starting on my chest that goes down over my shoulder to my arm. I'm open to different designs though. I just want the final product to have a significance of NYC and a sense of overcoming apocalyptic destruction. I've been looking at a bunch of artists, but really like all of the work by this one in terms of his lines and shadings and realism. 

My recommendation is to not start with a major piece.  Pick out the artist you like and get a small/medium size piece.  That way you learn the process and find out if the artist is all you wanted.  Better to be disappointed with that than a huge one that you really want.

Thanks for the advice JAC1961. I was thinking about that previously, but also think that the significance behind this is something I'll really want. And I dont want to get a tattoo that will take up space that could have been better utilized.  Does that make sense what im trying to say? Dont want to have missed out on real estate if I wouldve preferred a large piece anyway.

But will definitely consider your advice! Especially since I've never personally worked with any artist, much less the first one.

My first tattoo was a sleeve and chest panel, so I'm in the go big or go home club. Do a ton of research before you start so you know what to expect. Too many people see their bright shiny tattoo one day one and then can't figure out why it doesn't look the same on day 60. I don't think that those examples you showed are what a tattoo is going to look like any time after day one. But again, do the research for yourself so you know what you are getting into. And DON'T cheap out and don't be in a rush. Good tattoos are expensive and take time.

What advice do you have for designing a tattoo that will still look good in a few years? I get that everything will change over time and am okay with that. But what are things I should be looking/asking for specifically so that it ages well?

1 hour ago, chipbz said:

What advice do you have for designing a tattoo that will still look good in a few years? I get that everything will change over time and am okay with that. But what are things I should be looking/asking for specifically so that it ages well?

The "design" process is a collaboration between you and the artist. If you've done your homework/research then you'll have proof from the artists previous work that their design, layout and use of space is already spot on. Aging well with black/grey realism is a toughie. There are plenty who specialize in that field but whose tattoos (or parts thereof) end up fading and become unrecognizable after just a few years. Part of your research will be to get view or pictures of that artists previous and aged work. 

If that artist is close enough to visit the shop then get a rapport going and visit occasionally. You'll end up running into past work there. Lots of artists also post client's pictures via social media that have some age on them.