Open skin on crease (side of ditch)

Hollie

Hey everyone!

sooo. Fourth tattoo, decided to go 3/4 sleeve. Having some issues with a spot to the side of ditch (inside of elbow - I’m sure y’all will know this lol). There was never any scabbing or dryness that I saw however who knows what happened while I was sleeping!

Its tender, a little raised and it just won’t close. I’ve used anti bacterial soap, and antiseptic soap. 

contacted my tattoo artist (I have another session on Tuesday and today is day 7) and he said to keep it clean, and don’t apply lotion to it to try dry it out. He also suggested tegaderm - I’ve since put it on (after this pic) and it’s oozing - presumably due to it being open? Should I be concerned? Am I fighting an infection? No other symptoms eg fevers etc. 

Appreciate any advice that comes my way!

Hollie

EA6B52A3-7AC8-420E-9426-C81FBCC38AA9.jpeg

Edited by Hollie
Typo

It’s warm but I think it’s due to the area. It was worked pretty hard given how much shading it is... my other is kinda warm in the same area so I don’t think the warmth is unusual. 

I put tegaderm on it last night and it seems to dried out a little compared to previous days... here are some more photos of it today. 

2DDF18B3-A145-457C-96BB-73CE2E6286D2.jpeg

69E1131C-00FA-4617-B96E-F173E900BCEC.jpeg

So not sure if this will work for others but this process seems to be working for me...its now completely clotted and almost closed in a matter of days..

I had a reaction to the tegaderm that was originally put on my sleeve but I think its due to the build up of ink and fluids drying up. I was told to leave it on 3 days, I lasted two due to the redness and swelling purely around the adhesive edges. 

However, due to the crease wound being open I was 10 out 10 paranoid of infection so I was desperate to cover it. 

I washed the area with anti bacterial soap, dried it thoroughly, put a piece of tegaderm over it (I cut it, shits expensive). Following morning, removed the tegaderm and there was improvement however wasn’t closed enough, repeated cleaning process, let it air dry and air out for a few hours, cleaned it, reapplied tegaderm and removed the following day. 

This was the result and I’m super stoked, maybe attending uni and learning a bit about wound care helped me after all 😂

the little pink/red in the crease is actually now ink, not an open cut!

Have another 8 hour session on Tuesday so will upload (hopefully) finished result. 

but for now, here’s the work so far..

79F61354-354B-44DA-A40E-0748A9A1E879.jpeg

56670854-D37A-43A5-A239-546E85234B5D.jpeg

The swelling and bruising is incredible under my bicep. LOL. The suck is real right now. Only finished it Tuesday so hopefully I’ll go down soon, have been icing etc. NEVER again will I get one under my arm or close to it. That shit HURTS! Lol

1835ABF0-43DE-42D7-8422-463B1C32B025.jpeg

18DD603D-DCBB-4E2A-9FAF-5D3684DA3B90.jpeg

@SStu - yeah I feel like I’ve made comments about not getting another one before, and each time I usually go bigger so 🤷🏻‍♀️ Lol. My husband said I need to get the other side done to even it out now LOL. I still have a couple more flowers to add in a month or so but for now I’m done lol. The healing process I think is probably my least favourite as I always get the itches BAD and it drives me mental. 

@SStu Mike isn’t really my style. LOL but he is really good. Challenjer definitely could work with but he’s over 2 hours from me lol. 
Not sure if you checked out the dude that did mine but he’s been doing it 23 years and owns Stained Skin. 

https://www.instagram.com/stainedskin

https://www.instagram.com/anthonydubois13

Also he’s super versatile, he’s usually black and grey, Japanese style. But he took a crack, I trusted his experience and I’m super happy with the result. 

23 minutes ago, Hollie said:

@SStu - yeah I feel like I’ve made comments about not getting another one before, and each time I usually go bigger so 🤷🏻‍♀️ Lol. My husband said I need to get the other side done to even it out now LOL. I still have a couple more flowers to add in a month or so but for now I’m done lol. The healing process I think is probably my least favourite as I always get the itches BAD and it drives me mental. 

Looks good!

On both of my sleeves, my arm was SO swollen. It looked insane and hurt like a fucker. But I did both arms, so obviously it didn't put me off. Hahaha.

@oboogie yeah I’m just being a 😸 currently and feeling sorry for myself lol. I’m not working atm, got laid off work because of this COVID shit so it was a good time for me to do it so I could let it heal without too much movement. I probably will get the other side done in 3-4 years, that’s usually the itch for me. 

Sorry you were laid off, but the "COVID shit" is real. A couple of my friends had it, and it was dreadful. They were both very, very ill and lucky to have recovered well. You're right, though—it is a good time to get tattooed if you can afford it!

That’s truly awful, sorry to hear that. Sorry probably came across like an insensitive asshole. My New Zealand sailor mouth gets me into trouble over here LOL. All my family and friends are back in NZ so it’s been rough being so far away with everything going on. The business I was working for was kinda small so understand their reasoning but it put me in a horrible situation because of losing my insurance and being on a greencard etc. 

1 hour ago, Hollie said:

That’s truly awful, sorry to hear that. Sorry probably came across like an insensitive asshole. My New Zealand sailor mouth gets me into trouble over here LOL. All my family and friends are back in NZ so it’s been rough being so far away with everything going on. The business I was working for was kinda small so understand their reasoning but it put me in a horrible situation because of losing my insurance and being on a greencard etc. 

I'm alway getting in trouble with my big mouth, so no worries. 😉

I feel you. I hope you get another job soon. That's got to be tough.