New member and about to design a sleeve

Munkeyfeet

Hey guys,

I have two tattoos, one is a simple tribal design based on angel wings which is on the top of my back, just below my neck line and the other is Roman numerals on my wrist. This is the date my wife and I shared our first kiss. I got it done on our first wedding anniversary.

after 15 years of marriage and two girls (5/8) I now want to get a sleeve in black/grey realism that covers my family.

I've been blessed to marry my best friend and I’d like something that when my wife, kids and I look at it, every part brings back a memory.

I want this quote (not the tree design) and am booked in for a consultation with bacanu bogdan but keen to get ideas on what symbols or ideas you guys would suggest. I don’t want to do this and then realise I missed something off that would have been a great representation of an event.

thanks

BAD45046-92BA-47A6-A7C4-CA84E66231B7.png

Welcome! Bacanu looks quite capable from this instagram page. You should do quite good with him. Congrats!

You'll find several historical threads here that discuss text as tattoos. My take on it = find an event or memory that brings you to a favorite feeling about your family. Go for the images and drop the text. Tattoos don't have to be literal for the casual stranger.  

I love the concept! This is really quite sweet. I’m kinda with @SStu on the text part. You could always have the text added later, somewhere else but part of the fun of getting a tattoo (in my opinion) is sharing the story behind it and some sentimental mystery is always good. I love the leaves, I just finished a half sleeve on Tuesday so depends if you’re planning on wrapping it or just doing the front of your arm.. I did both (ouch for the back but worth it).. you could introduce a bit more of the tree, eg where the branch is attached... I guess the trunk? To also represent stability and the roots of your family - just a thought. 

Goodluck, again super sweet thought and concept is great 😊

Thanks guys, I agree and the rest of the sleeve will be pics. We just loved the meaning of those words so wanted it within the sleeve, where I’d leave to Bogdan.

trying to debate what to represent on my arm and the relevant picture for it.

i want scales or an egg timer (sand version) as we had to wait three years for us to have children. Conceived naturally a week before the dreaded ivf so it’s a big thing for us. Also scales would represent balance which again we believe in. 

i will want a portrait of my kids, just trying to decide on the pics with my wife.

thinking of a bear or similar as I’m protective of my family.

Would like flowers as some of the filler to represent Bali/thailand where we did our honeymoon.

just trying to think of other symbols/pictures that could be used.

any of you know of any cool ideas? I like different hence joining here and. It just searching google images where it’s all a bit samey and Mainstream. 

Also have an appointment with meehow so I can make a final decision between the two. 

how much should I be designing vs letting the tattooist have some freedom? Best to go in with lots of ideas or better to discuss it with them and let it flow that way?

You should be going in with general ideas, images and some loose reference material. They should be proficient in layout, design and provide honest and realistic feedback. Between their historical evidence and ability to communicate their vision you'll have to decide which makes you more comfortable with how to proceed. 

I’d take your ideas and see what he comes up with, explain your concept and what you want to cover; artists are pretty clever with incorporating ideas and putting their swing on it. I went with a general concept (compass and flowers, representing my journey to the US - my husbands from here; Certain flowers that represent birthdays and significant events) and this is what he came up with. 

C409D99B-ED8F-4C52-A86B-90C2A43A523D.jpeg