Queen Rocks

New Member...and With Tattoo Regret as well

Recommended Posts

Hi all! I'm new here and posted earlier today but didn't see there was a place for new members to introduce themselves. After skimming the forums I've noticed there are lots of members who have had the same regret I'm feeling right now. It's nice to know I'm in good company.

Anyway, I'm not a newbie to getting work done. I got my first tattoo about 12 years ago, but I've only just gotten my third one. If you saw my post from earlier today, I do apologize, but I'm going to repeat myself. Any opinions/input would be greatly appreciated!

Back in February I got a tattoo of Queen's iconic News of the World album cover. Saying I'm a passionate fan is an understatement. All my ink is Queen related and I've traveled the world to see the band perform and also visit important places in Queen's history. Anyway, my artist and I collaborated and came up with what you see here: 

 
Here's the original album cover:
Queen, Freddie Mercury, Roger Taylor - News Of The World - Amazon ...

At first I absolutely LOVED the tattoo. Hands down my favorite piece! But now part of me wonders if I should have flipped the artwork so that the robot is coming toward the front of my body. I had this discussion with my tattoo artist but at the time I felt that flipping the design would bother me because that's not how it looks on the album cover (plus I couldn't put it on my other arm because I have a Freddie Mercury tattoo there). He was totally understanding and supportive, and I was cool with my decision for probably 2-3 months (in fact I was super proud of it!!!) and then the doubt started to settle in as I looked at other people's arm tattoos and noticed they mostly all faced toward the front of their bodies.

Did I make a mistake? Is this arbitrary rule really that important? Does it really look bad the way I have it? Is it all in my head?

I'd be very thankful to hear back from anyone at all with impressions on my tattoo. I would hate to start the process of getting it removed, but I've already started browsing tattoo removal. My anxiety is getting the better of me lately and has really put me in a funk.😞

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love this tattoo!! I think it's beautiful, and while I think it's normal for us (who see it every day) to eventually see flaws in it, this is something we do to ourselves - I think we'll always find flaws on ourselves, it's the way many humans are wired. It's the same with our appearances and it extends to our tattoos - as they eventually become part of our appearance. We're always our own worst critics.

I think it's not much use thinking of these things as they can no longer be changed at any rate, and to me, and I'm willing to bet pretty much everyone else if not absolutely everyone else, this tattoo looks perfect. I really wouldn't worry too much, or at least try not to.

You should totally be happy and proud of this tattoo!!!

Also, always good to meet another Queen fan! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 1:45 PM, QueenFan said:

Hi all! I'm new here and posted earlier today but didn't see there was a place for new members to introduce themselves. After skimming the forums I've noticed there are lots of members who have had the same regret I'm feeling right now. It's nice to know I'm in good company.

Anyway, I'm not a newbie to getting work done. I got my first tattoo about 12 years ago, but I've only just gotten my third one. If you saw my post from earlier today, I do apologize, but I'm going to repeat myself. Any opinions/input would be greatly appreciated!

Back in February I got a tattoo of Queen's iconic News of the World album cover. Saying I'm a passionate fan is an understatement. All my ink is Queen related and I've traveled the world to see the band perform and also visit important places in Queen's history. Anyway, my artist and I collaborated and came up with what you see here: 

 
Here's the original album cover:
Queen, Freddie Mercury, Roger Taylor - News Of The World - Amazon ...

At first I absolutely LOVED the tattoo. Hands down my favorite piece! But now part of me wonders if I should have flipped the artwork so that the robot is coming toward the front of my body. I had this discussion with my tattoo artist but at the time I felt that flipping the design would bother me because that's not how it looks on the album cover (plus I couldn't put it on my other arm because I have a Freddie Mercury tattoo there). He was totally understanding and supportive, and I was cool with my decision for probably 2-3 months (in fact I was super proud of it!!!) and then the doubt started to settle in as I looked at other people's arm tattoos and noticed they mostly all faced toward the front of their bodies.

Did I make a mistake? Is this arbitrary rule really that important? Does it really look bad the way I have it? Is it all in my head?

I'd be very thankful to hear back from anyone at all with impressions on my tattoo. I would hate to start the process of getting it removed, but I've already started browsing tattoo removal. My anxiety is getting the better of me lately and has really put me in a funk.😞

 

no,no,no,& yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your tattoo looks GREAT honestly. I'm super big on placement and which way something should face and whatnot, but I feel that it's perfect and true to the album! I think that if you were to get the image flipped it just wouldn't be true to the original. It looks awesome! I'm also experiencing a bit of tattoo doubt but hopefully once they settle in it'll go away 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, everybody. I do feel a bit better now after reading what you all had to say. It's greatly appreciated. 

I tend to get hyper focused on details and forget big pictures. The past few days I would feel sick just looking at it because I legitimately thought I had made some grave mistake. My wife and Queenie friends would tell me it looks great but then I'd just think "of course you're going to say that!" You've all given me some much needed perspective...outside of my little circle. Having Frank (as Queen fans affectionately call the robot) imprinted on me was and still is so important to me (and always will be). I've got so many fond memories of listening to that record and seeing the robot at concerts with friends and family. 

I'll say this too...it's going to take a bit more time to get used to having such a large piece on me. I thought I was prepared for the change, but apparently not. haha

This seems like a great community. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better over time. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get anymore tattoos for a while. You can't obsess over details and worry about what people think. Seriously. Just wait a while before you do anything else.

I love Freddie Mercury, and the records they created when he was still around. I am not a fan of the other three guys and their botching of his memory, but I love Freddie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oboogie said:

Don't get anymore tattoos for a while. You can't obsess over details and worry about what people think. Seriously. Just wait a while before you do anything else.

I love Freddie Mercury, and the records they created when he was still around. I am not a fan of the other three guys and their botching of his memory, but I love Freddie.

I hear you. After my anxiety over this one I definitely need a break! 

Obsessing over details and worrying about what other people think manifests itself in just about every area of my life. I've been struggling with anxiety and depression and started seeing someone for help about a year ago. So yeah, me going into overdrive over a tattoo wasn't surprising...but I didn't anticipate it would give me literal panic attacks. But I'm also comforted knowing I'm not alone. The past few days I've read through many "regret" topics and will often think "Huh? But their tattoo is pretty sweet!"

Again, I'm super thankful for everyone who have shared their thoughts with me. It's definitely helped ground me and now I can look at my new ink and feel the same pride I felt when I first got it. 

Glad to hear you're also a fan of Freddie Mercury. He's a huge source of inspiration for me, obviously. On my other arm I have this:

103803379_10158446004824628_285212353369625665_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_oc=AQnlxVNX5ZCi99uMyVtuyDnaI0SkKernL__g8WLjBrQ_kSblCF6VMmho_Nyj0pl8GqY&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-3.fna&oh=4c7d9509ba7b4f272804edb42baa793d&oe=5F214460

It says "giving it all my soul," which are handwritten lyrics by the man himself from one of my favorite songs, Made In Heaven. I would probably want to give it a bit more life...some color perhaps, but I'm not sure just yet. Been thinking about asking for opinions from some people around here, but I'm in no hurry.

Regarding the other three...yeah....in some ways I've been disappointed too, particularly with the movie that came out a couple years ago. I actually hate the movie. It doesn't do a great job of telling his story. Yes, movies are going to deviate from the truth for the sake of artistic license, but there was so much wrong with it, that I don't even want to get into it. Lol

 

Edited by Queen Rocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hated the film, and back when it came out, I spent ages outlining everything that was wrong with it because so many people who know nothing about Freddie and Queen loved it. In simple terms, it was shite. It didn't deserve a single Oscar. Most people have terrible taste in films for the most part, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, oboogie said:

I hated the film, and back when it came out, I spent ages outlining everything that was wrong with it because so many people who know nothing about Freddie and Queen loved it. In simple terms, it was shite. It didn't deserve a single Oscar. Most people have terrible taste in films for the most part, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Same here. I felt bad because I thought it portrayed Freddie in too far a negative light (granted he wasn't a saint). They made it like it was him vs the band. In reality, all four of them were, as Freddie once put it, "four cocks fighting." And two years of not touring because Freddie went solo? Bullshit. Even when Freddie went solo he was still working with the band, and even Roger came to help his "friend" with the solo work. I could go on and on with my disappointment. These comments are only the tip of the iceberg. I really wanted a film that represented why the band means so much to so many people (and a little truth wouldn't hurt!). Instead, we got the exact opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oboogie said:

I hated the film, and back when it came out, I spent ages outlining everything that was wrong with it because so many people who know nothing about Freddie and Queen loved it. In simple terms, it was shite. It didn't deserve a single Oscar. Most people have terrible taste in films for the most part, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

I liked that movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 2:35 PM, Dan said:

I liked that movie.

Yeah. Sadly, it's almost entirely fictional and has nothing to do with Freddie. It's also poorly written and shockingly badly edited. I can recommend some books if you want to know more about Freddie and the real story.

Edited by oboogie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oboogie said:

I don't even think it is a good film about a rock band. it's soooooo bad.

I was being too kind. haha

As a Queen fan that film is a lot to swallow. Now when I'm in conversation about my beloved band someone will almost always bring up the film...and then the same speech will unfold of me correcting the movie's many glaring lies. I mean, the movie makes Freddie out to be an asshole (granted he wasn't a saint). It's downright despicable. I simply can't believe that's what Roger and Brian let happen. The band always had their differences but in the end they were a family. It's just weird, the whole thing, and I've often struggled to come to terms with it. 

Edited by Queen Rocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Posts

    • Right! Especially when they go on and on about deeper meanings... people don't seem to realize that there don't HAVE to be these super deep meanings behind tattoos, haha!  I haven't posted my first tattoo anywhere yet, no! But here's a picture of it:  It's not even that special or anything. Frankly, in terms of technique and placement and the like, I like the second one more. But the whole geometric/ornamental generally does pretty well with people I've found. I think for most it's just the right amount of, say, elegance and coolness while not necessarily being too out there yet.  It's also two years old by now so the lines definitely aren't what they used to be LOL, and especially with how admittedly poorly I protect it from sun it could very much benefit from a touch-up but I do still like it.... especially for a first tattoo which I, for all intents and purposes, wasn't nearly informed enough on. People will always ask why the orca, and while there is a story behind this one I'm not about to tell any stranger that. "You see, it all started 15 years ago, when my father........"  😂 I just tell them it's my favorite animal, which isn't a lie, but even then they'll go on about "but why?"  Also, I'd have many a person ask what animal it is. I've heard whale, dolphin (not entirely wrong) and even shark. 😂😂 At least with your piece it's very clear what it is! Maybe that also has something to do with the whole getting people to comment on it... when it isn't entirely clear, people might be more predisposed to ask/comment.  At any rate, I would definitely not consider folks not commenting on your tattoo as proof of them not liking it. I really don't think it works that way! Your tattoo is awesome and you should be proud of it! 🙂 (That, and of course the placement of the tattoo does matter a lot too, haha). 
    • Thanks @Fig1996! honestly I think I’d probably hate if everyone in met asked me about or commented on it too! Haha grass is always greener I suppose! What was your first piece? Is it posted anywhere on here?
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

  • Topics

  • Blog Entries