how to differentiate inspiration from ripping off artists?

westernhaiku

hi all! it's been a minute since i've been online - hope you're all doing well and are safe! ☺️

i wanted to ask, in your opinion, at what line does inspiration become ripping off another artist? is it okay to see someone's art and commission another artist to do their own take or spin on a concept? what are your thoughts?

for example, i really want to get black phillip from the vvitch tattooed on my leg. i love the composition, styling, and overall design of this artist's interpretation. however, i would not want my own artist to blatantly copy someone else's design? i'd want them to incorporate their own ideas, styles, color palette, etc. to the table. is this okay in your opinion? i know that people feel strongly about copying (as they should) and i don't want to step on anyone's toes!

1090395947_ScreenShot2020-07-03at10_00_07PM.thumb.png.9fdd00df7fe0e439bebaff6f044d67c2.png

In my mind you've already got the acceptable limit = "inspiration". If you take that picture some a willing tattooist and say "I want this EXACTLY as this is" and they trace it out then it's just reproduced artwork, like a cartoon character. 

If you take that picture to a qualified artist and say I'd like a goat's head and raven similar to this then you're likely to get an original piece of art.