What do you guys think of my tattoo?

Ih8joe

I got this about a year ago. It’s my childhood house!

It’s my first real piece and I assumed that when I got it people would give me sorts of compliments or general comments or say anything about it! But that hasn’t really been the case. But I’m super curious what people think!

What do you guys think about it? What do you like? What do you dislike? What do you think about the style?

What has been your experience with tattoos and other people? Do you find that people generally don’t really ask about them? Or when they do they’re pretty neutral?

DD1C4A9C-0628-4712-8523-00C25618B732.jpeg

BBE2CC30-2DC7-40BB-ACE1-C05ECAA96E26.jpeg

F9E8887F-B934-4D56-B7B7-D873937824BD.jpeg

I think it looks nice and it means a lot to you. I can understand the uneasiness you feel because people don't bring it up in conversation like "Oh wow, that's new! When did you get that? What does it mean?" etc...But like others have said it was for you and only you. F*** everybody else.

And to be honest, I haven't really asked too many people about their own tattoos. One time when I did it turned out to be a sore subject. My neighbor regrets his tattoo and encouraged me to NEVER get ink done. It's too permanent. Lol

When I got my freshest tattoo I posted it on Facebook and got all sorts of comments, but in real life not so much. Particularly with my own immediate family where tattoos are generally frowned upon. Meh. It was difficult to swallow at first (because I think we all want to be accepted) but when it gets right down to it the ink is something personal. As long as you like it, that's all that should matter. I think it's too easy to get trapped into thinking others need to be impressed, especially if you're prone to social anxiety. *cough* me *cough* Lol

Edited by Queen Rocks

@Queen Rocks

thanks for the feedback! 
I totally agree. And yes to the social anxiety haha I think when people just didn’t really say anything about it the slow and creeping fear of ‘oh my god. Do have a bad tattoo? Is that why nobody says anything?’ Starts to creep in. But I worry what other people think too much just generally. 

I DO like it! I liked it when I got it. And I still do now. Which is the important part. And I guess with that since I like it I want to talk to people about it! I want share what I like, ya know?

but hey I guess that’s why I’m here haha

I like your tattoo a lot! And what a cool and original idea to go with your childhood home! I at least haven't heard of that idea before, so I really like it. I always like me some original and creative ideas. 🙂

As for your question, I've worked as a supervisor in retail for 7 years and therefore had to deal with customers a lot. The moment I got my first forearm tattoo, I got a LOT of customers asking about it. They all told me they really liked it, and one even told me she wanted to get one exactly like mine, and I even had older customers who were super grumpy about tattoos be like "I do like yours" LOL. Then I got another forearm tattoo, though higher up on my forearm, on my right arm and I never once had any customer or even colleague ask about that one. I love that tattoo just as much as the other if not more, and, like @Dan, I'm completely fine with that too. I know this tattoo looks good and professional; and that it fits me well, and I don't really need anyone else validating that because what really matters is what I think when I see it, and I like it. 

Frankly, the sheer amount of comments I got about my first tattoo kind of daunted me. Of course, I knew what I was getting into when I got it tattooed so I never resented anyone for asking about it either, but when you get comments like "but what does it REALLY mean?" "what is the deeper meaning behind it???" daily, it does get old pretty quick. 😅

12 hours ago, Ih8joe said:

Thanks @Fig1996!

honestly I think I’d probably hate if everyone in met asked me about or commented on it too! Haha grass is always greener I suppose! What was your first piece? Is it posted anywhere on here?

Right! Especially when they go on and on about deeper meanings... people don't seem to realize that there don't HAVE to be these super deep meanings behind tattoos, haha! 

I haven't posted my first tattoo anywhere yet, no! But here's a picture of it: 

currenttattoo1.thumb.jpg.8dee29763cc3deeb35ad14771fb5d572.jpg

It's not even that special or anything. Frankly, in terms of technique and placement and the like, I like the second one more. But the whole geometric/ornamental generally does pretty well with people I've found. I think for most it's just the right amount of, say, elegance and coolness while not necessarily being too out there yet. 

It's also two years old by now so the lines definitely aren't what they used to be LOL, and especially with how admittedly poorly I protect it from sun it could very much benefit from a touch-up but I do still like it.... especially for a first tattoo which I, for all intents and purposes, wasn't nearly informed enough on.

People will always ask why the orca, and while there is a story behind this one I'm not about to tell any stranger that. "You see, it all started 15 years ago, when my father........"  😂 I just tell them it's my favorite animal, which isn't a lie, but even then they'll go on about "but why?" 

Also, I'd have many a person ask what animal it is. I've heard whale, dolphin (not entirely wrong) and even shark. 😂😂

At least with your piece it's very clear what it is! Maybe that also has something to do with the whole getting people to comment on it... when it isn't entirely clear, people might be more predisposed to ask/comment. 

At any rate, I would definitely not consider folks not commenting on your tattoo as proof of them not liking it. I really don't think it works that way! Your tattoo is awesome and you should be proud of it! 🙂

(That, and of course the placement of the tattoo does matter a lot too, haha). 

This post reminded me of a comment my family friend made about my father in-law. He made some comment about how he didn’t like women with tattoos and she was offended (she has a couple of small ones) and said “oh so you don’t like my tattoo” and he’s like no. I don’t like tattoos on women (he can be a bit of a knob from time to time). And my response was pretty much what most people have said... “if you got it for others to look at, rather than yourself, you probably got it for the wrong reasons”. 

I have four personally, half sleeve, shoulder, collar bone and lower back. Two of mine are pretty decent in size and honestly, I get nice comments from people, I get snarls from others.. mostly older women that view tattoos a little differently but ALL of mine have sentimental meanings and I could give a shit less what people think because they mean something to me. 

At the end of the day, regardless of what anyone thinks, you’ve got to be comfortable in your own skin, covered in tattoos or not. 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, Hollie said:

This post reminded me of a comment my family friend made about my father in-law. He made some comment about how he didn’t like women with tattoos and she was offended (she has a couple of small ones) and said “oh so you don’t like my tattoo” and he’s like no. I don’t like tattoos on women (he can be a bit of a knob from time to time). And my response was pretty much what most people have said... “if you got it for others to look at, rather than yourself, you probably got it for the wrong reasons”. 

I have four personally, half sleeve, shoulder, collar bone and lower back. Two of mine are pretty decent in size and honestly, I get nice comments from people, I get snarls from others.. mostly older women that view tattoos a little differently but ALL of mine have sentimental meanings and I could give a shit less what people think because they mean something to me. 

At the end of the day, regardless of what anyone thinks, you’ve got to be comfortable in your own skin, covered in tattoos or not. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I had the cutest little old lady come up to me in the supermarket right after I got my elbow done on my first sleeve (right arm). She went on and on about how pretty it was and even touched it. I told her thank you, but I told her not to touch it because it was still fresh. But she was so adorable and sweet.

@oboogie that’s adorable. I want an old lady to touch my arm haha

@Hollie yeah that seems to be the general consensus- doesn’t matter what people think as long as yr good with it. I think I was just seeking affirmation that it wasn’t a ‘bad tattoo’ / ‘done poorly.’ Ya know that pesky self doubt that a creeps around the brain!

2 hours ago, oboogie said:

I had the cutest little old lady come up to me in the supermarket right after I got my elbow done on my first sleeve (right arm). She went on and on about how pretty it was and even touched it. I told her thank you, but I told her not to touch it because it was still fresh. But she was so adorable and sweet.

I did reply to this but for some reason it didn’t work....

so excuse me if for some reason I’ve posted this story twice. 

a similar thing happened to me, but with my grandad. He unfortunately had a stroke and lost his marbles - previously a very proud man (an architect) and wasn’t overly fond of tattoos however.. I got a fairy tattooed on my shoulder about 10 years ago representing my grandparents because I went fairy hunting with them as a young child and it was such a special, magical time in my childhood that I wanted to keep a reminder.. anyhow. After he had his first stroke (unfortunately he had numerous) I showed him, he had tears in his eyes and stroked her gently and told me how beautiful she was. It really upset me but in a good way, because I knew at that moment it meant something to him too. 

I also have “tomorrow’s another day” tattooed on my collarbone because it’s a saying my dad told me growing up (he suffered with depression, as did I growing up) so it was a constant reminder to try and remember that although today may be shit... tomorrow will hopefully be better. 

• 2 years later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:30 AM, Dan said:

it's a cool tattoo,

and I don't give a F*** what other people say or think about my tattoos.

if somebody wants to talk about tattoos,then I like to do that,if nobody says anything about my tattoos,then that's fine too.

What this guy says.