Hey from Minneapolis!

minisoda

Thanks for all the great feedback.  Just got home from the appointment.  Artist was awesome and it was unanimous that the roses didn't make sense.  We just did the eagle and will figure out background at the next session (if any).  It's a strong traditional eagle and might just stand alone

I will post some pics as soon as I get this bandage off in a couple hours!

Ever try to take a pic of your own upper arm?  It’s surprisingly hard!

Anyway, here’s a quick pic until my wife can get one for me.  I absolutely how it turned out.  The next appt for shading/color is in three weeks.

I think it would standalone pretty well without any “background”.  That said, wearing a short sleeve shirt, the only thing that really sticks out are the feet and a little tail feather on my tricep.  Kinda looks like a chicken foot tattoo so some line work might take the focus away from that and bring it down a few inches to the elbow.  Love to hear thoughts on that.

Can’t wait for the next appt...  absolutely love the vibe in the shop and the artist was just a great guy.

EF2D64DA-3D15-4819-8FF9-05FE336F8426.thumb.jpeg.fcac56d479b4f3910c1f0e61669bfed8.jpeg

2 hours ago, minisoda said:

Ever try to take a pic of your own upper arm?  It’s surprisingly hard!

Anyway, here’s a quick pic until my wife can get one for me.  I absolutely how it turned out.  The next appt for shading/color is in three weeks.

I think it would standalone pretty well without any “background”.  That said, wearing a short sleeve shirt, the only thing that really sticks out are the feet and a little tail feather on my tricep.  Kinda looks like a chicken foot tattoo so some line work might take the focus away from that and bring it down a few inches to the elbow.  Love to hear thoughts on that.

Can’t wait for the next appt...  absolutely love the vibe in the shop and the artist was just a great guy.

EF2D64DA-3D15-4819-8FF9-05FE336F8426.thumb.jpeg.fcac56d479b4f3910c1f0e61669bfed8.jpeg

If you start nit picking and looking at it with a microscope, you'll find something wrong with every tattoo and you'll never be happy. The best advice I ever got from my artist was to step back and enjoy the tattoo. I never look for flaws in my tattoos, I just look at the overall vibe.

Here's a thought... since I was originally obsessed with some kind of flower/plant life for the first tattoo, what about an olive branch that the eagle is swooping in to grab.  Probably would have worked better without the talons wide open, but something to think about as we finish it. 

Love to hear your feedback!

Thanks!  Loving it and stoked to finish it up...

Will be really cool to nail down the color scheme as we finish it.  Could go pure traditional (black, gray, red, yellow) or change it up a bit...  I saw a traditional eagle the other day done in all monochrome black/gray/blue shades... not as traditional but super cool.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:51 AM, oboogie said:

You're still obsessing. 😉  Just talk to your artist, and he'll help you come up with something.

HE'S GOT THE BUUUUUUUGGGG!!! 😁

@minisoda not sure if you've let us know who the artist is yet, but feel free to share! check out their prior work and see what they're into. if they usually do traditional colors, they might prefer to stick to that aesthetic. if they do some crazy shit, they might be open to new ideas. 

i think adding an olive branch in an open talon would look a bit strange. during your next shading and color session, bounce your addition and background ideas off your artist and see what they think. in the end, you're wearing it and they're doing it, so your two opinions count way more than us shmucks.🤓

Just butting in... read the thread, and I couldn't really understand how you got from the inspiration images to an eagle... but it looks nice and clean.

Forget the olive branch... that's just complicating the tattoo... once the clouds are in there and everything is shaded it will look impressive.

Trying to change or modify the design when the agreed upon plan is in progress never ends well.

I'd vote for black and grey or black grey and grey-blue... but that might change after seeing the artist's portfolio.

Trust your artist... it looks like you chose the right person for your project so far.

Great insight, thank you. I have an email into the artist to get his design thoughts.

It seems like American Traditional typically has color but I think black/gray or black/gray/blue would really look good. Especially given the size of the piece.

Bailing on the olive branch idea as well. I think some subtle clouds/wind will be fill it out.