Hey from Minneapolis!

minisoda

Hey everyone!  I have literally been kicking around tattoo ideas for over 20 years and decided in the past couple of months that it’s time to get it done.  I think the trigger was just realizing there really are timeless designs that I will still like in 5,10+ years. After visiting one well regarded shop, I felt rushed/uninformed and have a lot of thoughts/questions that I’m hoping you all may be able to help with.  Already looking forward to the insight and experience!

1 hour ago, minisoda said:

Hey everyone!  I have literally been kicking around tattoo ideas for over 20 years and decided in the past couple of months that it’s time to get it done.  I think the trigger was just realizing there really are timeless designs that I will still like in 5,10+ years. After visiting one well regarded shop, I felt rushed/uninformed and have a lot of thoughts/questions that I’m hoping you all may be able to help with.  Already looking forward to the insight and experience!

0a0e6fd13fa6abe3ab694bbd03252184.jpg

I am ready!  Really just focused on design and finding the right artist... seems like the best ones that focus on the style I like all have their books closed.  I would happily pay a premium fee to use one of these artists... considering the fact that this thing will be on my body for rest of my life, something like a $1k "bonus" to the artist seems like a no brainer to find the most talented.  Any ideas how to broach that subject?

Welcome! 

In these times (and I don't mean Covid related times) it's pretty common to have to wait and patiently pursue the artist of your dreams - assuming you're stuck on just one artist. I actually waited almost 2 years to get to sit down in front of a particularly busy guy. Throwing down extra cash might work with some and piss off others. Working with personalities is always a gamble . . . 

What style of tattoo are you desiring? $1000 will buy you traveling options . . . 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the note.  Sorry for the delay - I just saw your reply.

I’m looking at doing a half sleeve floral design black and gray.  No deep meaning, I just think it looks cool, is relatively timeless and “organic”.  My biggest concern is coming up with a design that doesn’t look too feminine.  It’s not exactly easy to cover up or laser a half sleeve!

I met with a local artist... her work looks good, but she really rushed me a long and just seemed annoyed with every question I had... really annoyed with the whole conversation.  The design had great detail and probably would have looked good on someone - just wasn’t the style I was going for and communicating that to her would have been a very painful process, so I moved on.

I also tried one of the online tattoo design sites just to have them take my concept from words to paper and further refine it.  Let me tell ya, that has been a very special process and likely a quick $114 down the drain.  Hah! 

Here are a few inspiration photos... I’m thinking more negative space and not filling the background with ink.  Love shading and detail as well.

I would love any thoughts or other inspiration photos that may help me along!

In the meantime, I’m on a wait list waiting to get a virtual consult with an artist at the best shop in Minneapolis... will probably take at least a few weeks just to talk with him online.

EA84A050-3758-49D9-AAE3-FCCCBE609DFC.jpeg

399B150C-3A1D-4B91-BCD5-D0E7E1819A8D.jpeg

93953BD9-1C41-4DBC-BC55-1E7953C95AB0.jpeg

4C94C275-8556-465A-92FE-D0AB252F2C6C.jpeg

CF3B4EAE-2061-4D4A-A501-3F8DC955D9EE.jpeg

Definitely tune in to the vibe you'll get from your (hopefully in-person) consults. Waiting is often a good sign of ability. 

Of the above references, I personally like Harry and Megan's work the best. If the black is too muted the end result has the possibility of not being clear and discernible 10 years from now. 

Who are you hoping to see in Minneapolis?

I am hoping to get in at Leviticus tattoo... really wanted Jess Graden but she's well over a year out.  Tim Orth and Sean Crofoot both do great work but are available earlier.

I also ended up doing a "contest" on DesignCrowd last night... really cool site where you describe your design and artists come up with designs with the winner being awarded the fee.  It will allow me to see what 20+ different designs could look like.

The first couple still feel awfully feminine... maybe I need to throw a skull or eagle in there to pull this thing off! Hah!

I waited 2 years to get in with Hooper. It's tough being patient but the rewards last a lifetime. 

Having someone who's not going to do the work prepare a drawing might be entertaining but it's not likely going to impress a capable tattoo artist. The reason you go to someone with talent isn't to get them to reproduce someone else's work - it's to get them to be inspired by their own abilities and creativity. Ideally the references you bring with you on a consult are from the artist who is going to do the work. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, minisoda said:

58374648_2406691816042313_7006336938298834944_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Going in tomorrow at 5pm!  Here is the rough sketch... traditional style with eagle and roses both in color.  

The sketch doesn't really do it justice, but after all the research I've done I can see how it will all come together.

Any final thoughts or recommendations before go time???

unknown-1.thumb.jpg.535177c940e015321f9eccec93a2b4c0.jpg

That's good feedback... might get a little cramped!  I'll chat with the artist tonight too and see what his thoughts are.  Given both options, he liked the one with roses...  and I love the addition of roses unless it makes it too cramped/busy.  

Really appreciate the feedback!

Love the candid feedback!  Keep it coming...  I'm going in a little early to chat with the artist.  He's at what I understand to be one of the best shops in town and has been doing this for a long time.  I think he'll steer me in the right direction.  

Here's one with my 3rd grade color shading skills to illustrate what color will do to it.

IMG_9771.jpg